1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LosPollosHermanos, Mar 18, 2010.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm a new pet owner. We got a miniature poodle, 2 yrs old 15lb about a month ago. He has been really good and has had all his shots and everything. We feed him 3 times a day, about half a cup of dry food each time, and fresh water throughout the day with doggy treats in between.

We are currently trying to potty train him and he has accidents frequently but we are taking him outside a lot to avoid it. I noticed he won't do it in the same place twice, like he doesn't go in the backyard anymore. I was concerned as he seemed to put foreign objects and what ever crap is on the floor in his mouth. Granted all dogs do that I guess but i don't want him getting sick.

Tonight he threw up for the first time and it just looked like chewed up undigested food. He got up off my bed and just went to another room to lie down alone, which is VERY unlike him because he always wants to be around us. I keep hearing stories of other dogs getting sick, worms, and dying so I was just wondering If anybody had any good tips for me and if i should be concerned, I don't want to lose him over stuff I could have prevented.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

You are feeding him to much. Feed him once a day, same time every day. Your dog will develop a regular schedule if you do that. In the meantime take him outside often so he gets used to going outside. I'd cut down to one treat a day too. Personally I feel like you should feed your dog one of the better foods (yes more expensive) it helps in alot of areas, they get the nutrients they need. Usually cheap foods leave your dog hungrier because they just aren't getting what they need.

#2 mikol13, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^

yup. feedind too much. When you do feed be consistent.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Learn the BARF diet. It's more work but for the health of your dog it's so worth it. Also, I too would cut down on the feedings. I feed my lab/dingo mix a half cup of dry in the morning, then one cup mixed with the meet from the BARF diet in the evenings. No treats in between save for the occasional piece of something I may be eating.

Also, my pup did the same thing Saturday night. She became unusually settled down as she's usually wired...started walking down the hall and back continuously, and having been a dog owner all of my life I had a feeling something was up. Sure enough she came in the den and vomited up like 8 pounds of dog bones and food. No more chewy bones in her future.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hand over that Man Card, please.

6. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

If you feed him once a day it is also easier to potty train him. Most dogs eat once a day, but some with stomach issues (like mine) need to eat a smaller portion twice a day (morning evening). But 3 times a day is really over kill and twice a day is probably just to be done on doctors advise.

7. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

You're feeding too much. Half in the morning, half cup at night should be the max for a dog that size.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I do with my two dogs.

Check and see if the dog still has its appetite. Usually throwing up is better than dry heaving and hacking which could be bloat. If you are doing a lot of training with snacks right now for your dogs, cut down a little bit more at each of the two meals. The total food intake should be about 1 cup a day.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Broken record, but you're definitely feeding too much. Our dogs are 50-60 pounds and we feed morning and evening, half a cup to 3/4 a cup each time, and then just watch them if they are getting a little chunky.

MY guess is the him lying alone thing is related to the overfeeding + just getting more comfortable in his surroundings. Given that it is already an adult dog, I wouldn't be too worried about potential sicknesses. However, if it persists in a strange way after you cut back on the feeding, you might want to have a vet do a quick check over. You never know, and strange behavioral issues like that can be leading indicators of some crazy stuff (thinking distemper here). Where did you get him? Was he from BARC?

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i will echo "feeding too much". my 70 lbs lab gets fed once a day and only gets two cups. also, getting good food helps. the best is the BARF diet but if you don't have time, buy the foods that have meat listed as their first 2-3 ingredients.

i feed mine california natural. good foods are loaded with nutrients and although it costs more, you don't have to feed your dog as often. One 30 lb bag lasts me at least a month and a half.

11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

i thought we were feeding him too much. But he is always hungry and wants the food. So i figured we needed to. Much thanks on this guys, its good that i cut down the feeding early on then.

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This is him if anybody wants to take a look at his size. I will try to keep him at half a cup of food once a day, and a doggy treat once he goes potty outside. He is very active so I will see how it goes.

The reason i fed him that much is because he would start eating other crap instead so figured i might as well give him his food. I guess he will get used to it in time.

Once again thanks for all the great advice clutchfans, I'm glad I caught this early on.

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Petco had their pet adoptions, we were going to get a cat, but once we saw him we had to get him.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

:( :cool: :grin:

[​IMG]

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Vomiting isn't anything unusual for a dog. It happens just like it does with people. As long as you keep your dog on flea/tick and heartworm medication, and make your annual vet visits your dog will usually be fine. Usually if your dog has a real problem it will be something physical you will notice, or he will quit eating/drinking, and then you should take him to the vet.

Regarding potty training, the dog is no longer a young adult, so I imagine it is difficult. Have you tried crate training? It was the most successful and quickest between my 3 dogs(though all were under 6 months).

16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

what exactly is crate training?

17. mikol13

Supporting Member

Your dog eating other things doesn't necessarily mean he's hungry. Could mean he's not getting the proper nutrients, could be bored or something else all together. Get him something to chew on, chew toy, ball or a rawhide bone every now and then

18. mikol13

Supporting Member

I totally agree on the crate training, when I'm not home my dogs are put into a crate, comfortable enough to lay down and turn around, not to big. The thinking is they will not go to the bathroom where they sleep. It works, my dogs actually like to be on the crate. Make it comfortable with a blanket and always leave the crate door open when you are home. Your dog will start to sleep in there on it's own. So when you leave and put your dog in the crate it will be comfortable, not potty and won't cry the whole time you're gone.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dogs take to crate training because they're naturally den animals. Ours are crate trained, but we have two together in one very large crate. As mentioned, they will go in there to sleep on their own when tired. It's their "home" within their home.

Below is a picture of a typical crate. If you do decide to go that route, I'd suggest paying a little extra and getting a double door (meaning two doors) - it will provide more flexibility with where you can put the crate, etc.

[​IMG]

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I have one of those, we put him in there at the beginning and he would cry and moan all the time so after the first week we decided to let him roam in the bathroom as he pleased with the door closed , he didn't pee or anyhing in there.
    It seems inhumane to keep him in a tiny space for so long.