1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog Fighting vs BumFight.com

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Sep 2, 2007.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Some dogs certainly probably do grow to enjoy it. Especially if they are bred to be aggressive...but I agree, it's questionable.

As for the bums, I don't see it as a problem. They are offered stuff, but they know what they are getting into. People get paid to fight for boxing of UFC. I don't see the difference.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I couldn't vote in this poll. Both choices are abhorrent.

Dog fighting is outlawed. **** fighting is outlawed. Bull fighting is outlawed. Now we need to work on outlawing boxing and wrestling. College wrestling is okay but the rules are so wildly different than "professional" wrestling.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Good question. I'm surprised to see the bums losing this one.

4. Cesar^Geronimo

So you find it o.k. to take advantage of someone's pitiful condition because they are so desperate they will do anything?

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Nobody "made" the bums fight. You wording seems intentionally misleading.

An assault can be legal because of consent and public policy. That's why boxing, football and even surgery etc. can be legal.

As a whole dog fighting has caused much more suffering in the world than bumfighting. It's not even close.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Cesar^Geronimo put it better then:

Rocket River

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Bums are bums, they might as well fight and entertain us. They are bums because they want to be, and they accept the stuff knowing what they have to do for it. Dogfighting is abuse of the animals, and they don't get anything for doing it. In fact, they are killed if they perform poorly.

8. insane man

insane man Member

legality is secondary though. why is that the litmus test of what is ok and what isn't.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I never said it was ok or good. But ultimately the bums have more volition than the dogs. That's why they are considered "more important".

Legality isn't the basis of what is and what is not important, but it might reflect it. We allow people to consensually fight. If you think that is wrong, then all types of contact sports should be illegal. A bum supposedly has as many rights as any other person. There was free will on their part in the fighting unless they were completely insane. Plus it was somewhat of a controlled fighting atmosphere and none were systematically tortured, critically injured or killed. Again, it's not even close.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Anyone who is entertained and bets on these fights are as sick as the trainers and promoters.

It's not like boxing or MMA because the context behind the fights are totally different.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LMAO :D

12. NewYorker

You mean like really fat people, or really sick people with cancer? Doesn't the diet industry and drug companies exploit this?

Doesn't boxing exploit boxers? What about TV exploiting desperate actors - who will do anything to get on TV?

Dude, how can you condemn one instance and not the other?

13. Cesar^Geronimo

We weren't talking about Boxing or Actors or fat people or sick people ---- because you can find something else equally or more revolting or wrong doesn't make it more or less right.

I believe you can objetively look at one issue (Bum fighting) and agree that it is wrong withouth that opinion reducing the evil in other issues.

Based upon your argument you could never condmen anything as long as you can find something else equally or worse wrong.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

To me, personally, exploiting people is worse than killing dogs. But both are disgusting.

15. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

un... believable...

16. NewYorker

Then shouldn't you be speaking out against those other things? I mean, I don't think there is anything wrong with Bum fighting is a society that tolerates boxing or using people to make money in general.

In fact, that's the American way. People exploit people's talents or situations to make money. Talent agents, magazines, the news - it's the basis of so much of media.

All of these people, including the bums, know what's going on and still do it. That doesn't make it evil, unless you want to call capitalism evil.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this is silly, bum fighting and regular fighting aren't the same. its a ridiculous analogy. you're right, some boxers are exploited, some child actors are exploited, some athletes are exploited,

most bums are exploited. the previous examples can involve exploitation in the wrong circumstances, the difference? bum fighting is exploitation

18. NewYorker

how is offering a bum money to fight any different then offering any amatuer to fight in a boxing ring? And frankly, the bum needs the money more, at least the guy is working for a living - that's exploitation? I'd rather be exploited and given money than sleep in a dirty cardboard box.

It's not. If anything bum fighting pulls the dirty cover people have about the truth of what human society is.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

some degree of training, generally

an official to maintain some level of safety

rules

amateur boxers fight with head guard

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if you don't understand how coercing people who are hungry to physically harm each other for food or money then there is no point continuing. have a nice day.