1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doesn't this season validate Morey's "3 STARS OR ELSE" strategy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

We all know what happened last off-season. Morey went all in for Bosh, struck out, and lost Parsons, Asik, and Lin in the process. That's 3 important role players that all contributed to the post season gone just like that.

It was doom and gloom. National writers couldn't wait to trash Morey as if they've been waiting to do so for awhile. We were supposed to be a low seed or even a fringe playoff contender this year.

And yet, thanks to a series of solid damage control moves, look where we are now. Tied for the 3rd best record in a ridiculously tough Western Conference at 36-17, and with the exact same record as last year despite Dwight Howard either not playing or being ineffective. Dwight has only played 32 of 53 possible games this year compared to last year playing all 53 games.

Doesn't this completely justify Morey's strategy (often criticized) about shuffling role players in and out every year? He just demonstrated that even with the lack of continuity and chemistry, he can field a winning team regardless of the role player change-up.

With Morey being so skilled at replacing role players, we should have no problem with him dumping all of them to get a third star, knowing he can recover equal or greater value of role players in the future.

I'm glad our GM is willing to be patient and wait for the 3rd star (who's next -- Durant? Aldridge?) instead of going all in with a still low probability of winning it all and then being in a difficult situation to improve the team.

It's not a popular strategy -- but it's the right one for this franchise.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

So by only having one superstar, we still manage to be "tied for the 3rd best record in a ridiculously tough Western Conference at 36-17"...

That actually sounds like it kind of invalidates the need for 3 superstars...

3. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I'd say Harden is about 1.5 / 3 where howard in his limited games has been the .5. Having another big time player gets us to the top.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Best player on the best team > best player in the league in the 4th or 5th best team in most cases.

It is what it is.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree. If we were winning with three stars, then that would validate his strategy. We are winning with one elite player and a bunch of good role players. If we added a third max player, the quality of our role players may go down. I've never thought that having three elite players was absolutely necessary. Two elite players and a solid supporting cast with great chemistry should be enough.

6. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Sorry OP but you even contradict yourself in your little piece there, you throw a lot of stuff together so not really sure what you are trying to say. Regarding getting that third star, Morey is plain wrong, it's that simple. If he had not focused so much on Melo who would've been a terrible fit, Bosh, Durant (already thinking so far ahead) we would've had a great team right now. Think having a Lowry, one of the 5-6 PGs who changed teams this deadline etc. We already have Harden and as you pointed out, we have a great record and we are not far away from a contender. A third star is not necessary, a solid C off the bench and a PG / playmaker off the bench would've been enough.

7. hotballa

Lowry, Harden, healthy Dwight...that is a championship core.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The fact is the salary cap will jump up significantly in 2016 and that means lots of teams will soon have the spending power to pursue max guys regardless of how badly they managed their cap before. Along with that comes guys who are going to get max money because teams have it to spend but they won't necessarily be worth their contract. I would say Houston is in a pretty good spot to pursue those true max type players with a strong case for a contending team WITHOUT sacrificing anything for the quality of their supporting cast - in the short term. Eventually those rosters will even back out as role players and star players alike get resigned to new deals with the new revenue money but if a team is smart, they will secure good players on decent long term contracts right before 2016 and then throw the bank at guys like Durant.

I think it's actually going to be pretty interesting in the interim to see how teams react to the new cap. Will have to see who spends in 2016, and who has cap left over the following year. If too many teams overspend for marginal talents right out of the gate(because they missed the top tier talent), that's less money for much more deserving players so there will be a weird period were market values will be all over the place depending on the context. We know teams like NY and LA and even Dallas will wildly (over)spend if the money is available but what will be interesting is what happens when all that spending occurs in 2016 and how will that ripple to player contracts in the following years.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This season in which Atlanta and Golden State are dominating the league you mean?

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, man, really makes it obvious, missing Lowry now hurts... I mean houston really just needs a good creator (2nd/even 3rd option if Howard's playing behind Harden) and I think team could compete a lot better, especially if Howard comes back healthy.

Maybe in off-season Morey can get a good player like that, we don't need a superstar or something just borderline, that can run offense when Harden sits. Currently this team should be renamed Houston Hardens, because it reminds me of early Jordan having to do everything for his team to even have a shot. Basically harden needs his pippen (not the Rockets version). I think Howard is great, but still need someone to bridge the gap between the two, it's like in that Portland series, only one could be good and not both at the same time. And this season is proving it more.

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

Yes, but only a total homer would think we're a legitimate title contender. We're not there yet. We need a third star especially since Dwight is already in decline. Harden can't carry us all the way to a title.

What I'm trying to say is Morey's strategy of continuing to buy/sell role players while simultaneously having flexibility to bring on a future 3rd star should be praised instead of criticized because of Morey's ability to find role players with ease, thus keeping the team competitive in the West. The OP was just to address the unfair criticism the strategy gets.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

And both still have to prove it in the playoffs. Morey's strategy is all about winning a title, not just dominating the regular season.

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

The only team-building tenet that Houston's record validates is "James Harden is Jesus".

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

I thought it was well documented by now that the whole "Lowry wanted to go to Houston but Morey only was focused on Bosh" thing was a myth?

Sorry, but for a team that hasn't even broken out of the first round yet, can we objectively say we are just one player away from winning a championship?

What if we get a good PG, lose our cap flexibility, and we're still not good enough? It's a disaster. If we eventually get the third star, we are contenders not just for a championship, but for a potential dynasty.

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Then the question is, does that qualify as 3 stars?

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I don't know on Lowry thing if myth or not, I was just saying would have been nice for sure. I definitely agree cap flexibility is important for 2016, just think in 15 if they could get a PG and have his contract end/trade after season.. Definitely have to at least try for a Durant type player.

17. hotballa

2 elites and a star...I would say so. We don't really need a guy of Lowry's caliber to win a championship but hell I wouldn't say no to that :D

18. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

How is Morey's strategy about winning the title? I would say he has built teams to be great during the regular season, banking on luck to get far in the play-offs. Look at our record since he's been here:

2014-15
    NBA
    Houston Rockets
    36 17 .679
    2013-14
    NBA
    Houston Rockets*
    54 28 .659
    2012-13
    NBA
    Houston Rockets*
    45 37 .549
    2011-12
    NBA
    Houston Rockets
    34 32 .515
    2010-11
    NBA
    Houston Rockets
    43 39 .524
    2009-10
    NBA
    Houston Rockets
    42 40 .512
    2008-09
    NBA
    Houston Rockets*
    53 29 .646
    2007-08
    NBA
    Houston Rockets*
    55 27 .671

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm enjoying this winning season and I haven't missed a game since new years, now that I'm finally able to watch them again after 2 1/2 years.

That being said....we could win 70 games this year, but if we're ousted in the 1st round again....the season is a failure.

Nothing is "validated" until we win a playoff series or 2.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

or four?