1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Does Yao going out make the season a little more enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2rings, Mar 7, 2008.

1. 2rings

2rings Member

Please shoot me.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

LMAO. GARM = owned

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Last night we had 50+ points though IN THE PAINT.. and if we can play games like that, theres no telling how far we can go

4. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I do agree that the GARM is easier to read these days. :(

I get the OP's point, but the thread title is poorly worded. It's great to see the guys playing the way they are, but I definitely miss the big fella.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I can't stand Rockets "fans" that still don't believe in this team's ability to do something special.

Yes, we miss Yao, and I'm sure we will ultimately need him again. But assessment is simplistic and shallow.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's that expectations are lowered. The season won't be called a collosal failure if we lose in the first round because we don't have Yao - so that makes it more fun to watch because instead of just fullfilling expectations, we'll be exceeding them.

It's like when you go into a comedy club - it's harder to get a true laugh because you are expecting the guy to be funny - where as if you met the guy on the street randomly you'd probaby find them really funny because you're not expecting it.

Less pressure on everyone makes it enjoyable

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Oh, and I forgot to add: in addition to being shallow, your take (kmart) was also flatly wrong.

A post up presence helps, but that's not the only way to get points in the paint... as the Rockets have been showing. We're really not even shooting that spectacularly with the 3-ball.

8. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

Its great right now the way we are winning. But come playoff time, you would wanna slit your wrists because we don't have Yao to D up the bigs in the playoffs.

Fun now, misery later on.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

2Rings,

I understand your point, that your expectations are now gone and you can just enjoy the ride, but for me, I still hope to catch lightening in a bottle.

DD

10. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

Well, with Yao, I know what I can expect - the trophy! Now you just want them to go as far as they can. I enjoy the hope of a trophy more.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if anything, at least we now know we are a contender next year for sure.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

A healthy Yao, maybe a healthy Francis.....2nd year Landry, Brooks and Scola....

YEAAAAAOOOOWWWW

DD

13. blk5g

blk5g Member

your right i can watch a game when the rox are up by 2 going into half and have the confort of knowing that the rox are going to come out of halftime and put it on them. like lastnight and most of last month

14. 2rings

2rings Member

Me too! Would be truly amazing

15. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Its the TRUTH. Match the team against San Antonio and the now revamped Phoenix with Shaq, we'll get killed.

Do something special? Possibly, like the Knicks going to the finals? But like them, we'll run up against San Antonio and get our asses handed to us.

I was fully expecting a championship run this year. But losing Yao was a fatal blow to that dream. We are like GS now. Dangerous, yes. But nobody gives us a chance to go all the way.

16. jeffchen

jeffchen Member

Althought we've got a 17 sweet straight win, I also miss Yao so mush! I'd rather Yao were in lineup.

17. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

Since Yao's season ended, my expectation for the team has lowered significantly and every win is like a bonus. Would his exit make it more enjoyable? No, but a lot more relaxed perhaps.

Our winning streak is helped by the players playing like they have nothing to lose. Psychology is a funny thing. When one is not frightened by failures, one usually wins.

18. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Basically we are being looked in everyone's eyes as the underdogs with Yao's injury. But as we all know, there are still games to be played and anything can happen.