1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does this current team remind anyone of the 2014-15 Mavs before the Rondo trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 14, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Tyson Chandler
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Chandler Parsons
    Monta Ellis
    Jameer Nelson

and

Clint Capela
    Ryan Anderson
    Trevor Ariza
    James Harden
    Patrick Beverley

Clint and Tyson are similar players. Similar points and rebounding numbers... mostly just run pick-n-roll and dunk on offense. Good defenders on defense. Mobile for their size.

Dirk is a much better version of Anderson. Shoot 3's, score, not much defense, stretch 4.

Parsons and Ariza... Parsons is better overall. Better play-maker. Ariza is better on defense. Parsons is better at shooting the 3 but Ariza is adequate.

Harden is a much better version of Ellis just as Dirk is a better version of Anderson.

Jameer Nelson and Patrick Beverley.. Nelson is a better passer. Both can shoot the 3. Similar ppg numbers.

Both are spread teams that can stretch the floor with 3-point shooting with a focus on offense. Similarly constructed.

Before the Rondo trade, the Mavericks were one of the best offensive teams ever. Their offensive rating was 116.5 (for reference, the Warriors last season had an offensive rating of 114.5). Defensive rating was 108.7.

Started the season 20-8 (.714) before the Rondo trade. I believe they were 2nd in the West at that time.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Good analysis. I definitely see it. This team should at the very least be fun to watch.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

I see you didn't compare the coaches

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

...but knew they weren't really a contender & then made the trade for Rondo.

5. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think that's why they made the trade necessarily. I think they thought Rondo would make them even better.

It was like the Rockets after they went to the WCF trading for Ty Lawson thinking it was going to make them even better.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You're on to something, but not quite there.

The Rockets clearly have no equivalent to Gal Mekel or Ricky Ledo.

7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

They actually had great floor chemistry and were tough to stop before that trade. They had some pieces of the bench too. Nice comparison. Rondo is a bone head.

It could happen that we gel as an offensive unit and start off hot. Question would then be do we make the trade deadline deal that sinks the success? There will be some team and player that is unhappy more than likely.

8. thekad

thekad Member

No, the Mavs freely admitted at the time they made the trade because they knew they weren't a true contender. I hope the fans on this forum realize similarly if the Rockets also come out to a hot start against mediocre competition.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...rk_cuban_on_rajon_rondo_trade_we_needed_to_be

10. bmd

bmd Member

Where did he say he didn't feel they were a contender? He said they needed to get better defensively (which they did) and he thought it would make them better overall. They had an opportunity to get Rondo, which they thought would make them better. Nowhere did he say he didn't feel the team was a contender. Only that he thought Rondo would make them better.

11. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I agree with your comparisons, defensively that team is still much better than our currently constructed roster. Tyson Chandler at that stage was still a smarter and more physical defender compared to where Capela is now. Once Capela is better able to anticipate better defensively we won't miss Dwight's presence as much.

Harden's role this year (typical of a franchise player) will make or break this team. Barring any major additions to the guard position, he's still our best playmaker and until he and the rest of the team figures out who else can score the ball (Hi Anderson/Gordon) we're going to have some interesting games.

I am desperately hoping that our players can adapt into D'Antoni's system. They're going from "street ball mentality" to an organized team's offense that can definitely pay some significant dividends in the near future. Let's all pray that it doesn't take a whole season to figure out that Harden doesn't need to continue to play a "Steve Francis" type of role on this team (dribble -> 20 secs then pass to shooter).

The coach variable is going to be the most intriguing part to watch. I won't hold my breath though, D'Antoni hasn't fared well since his tenure with the Suns.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not really at all. I guess you can say they are both good offense, bad defense teams?

13. rocketseagles07

Actually a pretty good comparison... Which mean we'll be just as mediocre as I thought. OKC needs to hurry up and trade Russ to the east so we can have one less team to worry about

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hey, believe what you want man.

The author who covers the team said it right there in the article too.

I'm sure the kad is making things up too.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not sure what the point here is JR. Are you trying to prove a hypothetical person who thinks we are better than the Warriors right now that we really aren't?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

:confused: Who said anything about the Warriors? :confused:

Does the current team remind anyone of the Mavs of 14-15? Sure, Rockets may be a great offensive team like they were. We'll have to wait & see. But despite being 19-7 or 20-8, Dallas made the trade for Rondo because they weren't true contenders.

Cool, Rockets'll be a great, exciting offensive team like Dallas was. Great. That's awesome.

I think someone made a thread on that already: This is gonna be a fun squad

17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Cocaine a hellva drug. [​IMG]

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, so your point is that this team isn't good enough to a win a title right? But duh, the thread compared this team to a team that didn't win the title.

This is going to be a long season. We are going to need to be reminded that we aren't a title team in every thread.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I was personally thinking that we were championship bound until JR reminded me otherwise. :(

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

:grin:

Let's talk about fun squads of previous years.

14-15 Mavs
    Nuggets under George Karl (post-Carmelo?)