1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does this amendment to remove corporate bribery from government stand a chance?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jocar, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jocar

jocar Member

In short.. after the Supreme Court's 2010 Citizens United ruling, corporations have been given the same speech rights as people. Speech rights=political spending. Super PACs allow for unlimited, anonymous spending- an unfair $$$ advantage that ordinary citizens can't match. Votes mean nothing if the people we elect put corporate donors' interests above their constituents' interests, or their own conscience. The playing field is far from level. The highest bid gets the vote. Washington has become an ebay for assholes.
    http://getmoneyout.com/about/
    http://unitedrepublic.org/amendments-guide/

There are over a dozen versions being worked on, here are 2.

From former Washington Lobbyist, Jimmy Williams, here is a DRAFT for public debate this fall:

“No person, corporation or business entity of any type, domestic or foreign, shall be allowed to contribute money, directly or indirectly, to any candidate for Federal office or to contribute money on behalf of or opposed to any type of campaign for Federal office. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, campaign contributions to candidates for Federal office shall not constitute speech of any kind as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution or any amendment to the U. S. Constitution. Congress shall set forth a federal holiday for the purposes of voting for candidates for Federal office.”

Lawrence Lessig’s draft

“No non-citizen shall contribute money, directly or indirectly, to any candidate for Federal office. United States citizens shall be free to contribute no more than the equivalent of $100 to any federal candidate during any election cycle. Notwithstanding the limits construed to be part of the First Amendment, Congress shall have the power to limit, but not ban, independent political expenditures, so long as such limits are content and viewpoint neutral. Congress shall set forth a federal holiday for the purposes of voting for candidates for Federal office.”

Over 250,000 people have signed. 80% of America believes it's time.
    Two ways to pass an amendment:
    1.Two-thirds majority in both the Senate and House of Representatives, and then ratify by three-quarters of the 50 states.
    2.Two-thirds of the state legislatures officially vote to hold a Constitutional convention, where representatives propose amendment. Then three-quarters of the 50 states must ratify. (never been done)

Your thoughts?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Politicians are in the corporation's pockets.
    I'm pretty sure something like this will never get done unless we circumvent the 3/4th majority system in which case we'll set a dangerous precedent that could spell trouble in the future.
    Its paradoxical.

Only the supreme court could have prevented this type of corporate-dominated society and they obviously failed at that with the Citizens United ruling.
    In the future it will be possible to override that ruling, but not with the justices we have now.

#2 RedRedemption, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  3. Classic

Classic Member

It's been a problem as long as currency & law has co-existed.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

It would be awesome, it would be great for the country, it would help level the playing field, and it will never pass.

5. Classic

Classic Member

^^one can hope

6. RedRedemption

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

First, even if you're posting on here, rules against political stuff in the sig, blah blah blah.

Now, let's go over what's been proposed.

No one. No one at all can contribute for campaigns? How the heck is this going to work?

Define this. What is an "independent political expenditure"? I and a few friends decide to create a series of pamphlets arguing that since Obama is an atheist Communist Muslim who wasn't really born in America, he should not be elected President. We spend money to do so. Is that an "independent political expenditure?"

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know whether to be more sad about the fact that some people are holding out hope for this, or about how poorly these amendments are drafted. I can think of a few ways to circumvent these just off the top of my head.

I think given the harsh criteria for passing such an amendment, it would be best served with a target date 4 years from now so that people get a chance to get educated via localized road shows and presentations and they can hash out which officials are going to screw them/not, and how to deal with them.

You can't bar individuals from giving them money or spending money, but surely you can bar them from accepting money as a condition for entering the race?

On a lighter note, I say go for a survivor format. All the money goes into a large pool, and more money up for grabs the more voters you get. This will make them cater to voters more and incentivize increased voter turnout. First round is 8 candidates, then 4 get voted off for round 2, and another 2 get voted off for the final round 3. The format is Q&A, and all questions must be approved by at least 25% of voters. All rounds will be on public holidays. All candidates will have to make a submission prior to Round 1 answering a pre-designed questionnaire approved by voters, and anyone who conflicts with their questionnaire twice is automatically booted. Tax returns, birth certificates and criminal records go public. Winner is not allowed to work for money again, will receive compensation in the form of $0.005 annual tax from each voter.

Fun stuff. What's the worst that can happen?

[​IMG]

10. jocar

jocar Member

Didn't know that wasn't allowed in my sig, guess I'll remove it.

There are several drafts that have different suggestions.
    Most of which would not allow non-citizens to make contributions, presumably eliminating corporations. Citizens would have a set limit "X dollars" per contribution. "Independent political expenditures" such as PACs and Super PACs would not be banned but regulated with a set limit as well.
    Senator Tom Udall's (+9 other senators) version gives states the power to regulate and determine these limits.

Under current definition, if you and your friend were to spend >$1000 printing pamphlets you are considered a Political Action Committee.

Dylan Ratigan, who quit his show at MSNBC to devote himself to this cause, proposes this..
    1. Corporations, limited liability companies, and other forms of business organizations, other than news organizations, are not people for purposes of the free speech protections of the First Amendment.

2. Financial and in-kind contributions directly or indirectly supporting candidates for election to Federal or state office shall not be considered speech for purposes of the First Amendment.

3. No citizen may contribute more than $250 (in 2011 dollars) per election cycle to directly or indirectly support or oppose the election of any candidate for Federal or state office.

4. Beyond these limited contributions, the cost of political campaigns will be funded in an amount to be determined by the Federal and applicable state governments.

5. Television and radio stations licensed by the Federal government will be required to give an equal amount of free air time to all candidates who generate at least 5% popular support in an average of major polls.

6. Election Day will be a national holiday. (oh yeah)

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The left is obsessed with controlling and curtailing political speech they don't like. The excitement in this thread is palpable, all these ideas for laws to shut people up. Lots of "shall not, cannot, will not".

The right never tries to shut anyone up. More speech is never a bad thing.

Shows what little faith the left has in the average voter to be persuaded by their ideas. They're afraid of competition in the realm of political speech.

Of course, unions are exempt, as are media entities (which are nothing more than corporate funded speech outlets). Media corporations and unions get all the speech power, everyone else has to shut up.

12. jocar

jocar Member

There are actual lawmakers involved here.
    These are more like suggestions to be debated on. A committee of constitutional law experts will be appointed to consider loopholes and draft the actual text of the amendment after its elements are agreed upon.

Oh, and I would definitely watch Survivor - White House Edition... must-see tv.

13. jocar

jocar Member

And the right is obsessed with turning everything into a right vs left issue. Shallow. Equality only matters to people like you when your party is the minority. More money should not equal more political influence or speech. Laws should not be changed/created for the highest bidder.
    Selfish, ignorant partisans like you will try to turn this into a partisan issue solely because you're scared it threatens Republican votes.

You have more loyalty to your party than you do to America and American rights. Thank you for proving my point.

This is not right or left.
    Check out Ratigan's rant he sums it up nicely, while the 2 partisan girls act like Commodore.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gIcqb9hHQ3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

An amendment that limits what a person can do with the money they earned? Awesome!

George Mason was right.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Speech cannot be rationed, and it's not permitted by the 1st Amendment

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So, if the New York Times writes an editorial on how oil fracking is bad, that's protected speech. But if Exxon attempts to respond and argue that oil fracking won't harm the environment, that's not protected speech and the government can shut it down.

And I'd also point out that under your rule, universities would not be protected by the First Amendment.

Define this. As far as I'm concerned, under these guidelines, my aforementioned pamphlet which I used money to make would not be considered speech and thus is not guaranteed of protection.

There is no way you can reliably regulate this. Off the top of my head, I can think of five ways which I could contribute money to ignore this. Furthermore, once again I cite the pamphlet example. I spend 251 dollars to make a pamphlet that explains how Obama is an atheist communist muslim. Did I break the law?

So, the Federal and state governments will determine which candidates are viable and which ones aren't. Nope. Definitely won't be abused.

Oh, good. The Federal government will now regulate television and radio stations and make sure that their content is politically acceptable. What could POSSIBLY go wrong with this idea? :rolleyes:
    Furthermore, why only television and radio stations?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pure rage, no substance.

Why did Occupy WS fail again?

18. RedRedemption

The "freedom of speech" of the elite infringe upon the rights of the freedom of speech of the poor. If you can buy and control politics with just money then that is infringing upon the rights of 90% of Americans that can't do the same.

Having money should not give you a free pass to do anything you want, and certainly does not give you the right to infringe the rights of others.

#18 RedRedemption, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  19. Raven

Raven Member

Fixed

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Wrong. There is no right to EQUAL speech at all. Only a right to free speech. Consequently, there is no infringing. After all, poor people can participate in the political process, and they can band together and do stuff, such as what occurred in 2008 with Obama.

Now, is one rich person going to have more influence than one poor person? Yes. But what people tend to forget is that no matter what rules or regulations are put into place, since human beings are NOT equal to one another, a rich person will always have more influence than a poor person in any system of governance. There is no way to get around this. In fact, most laws that attempt to get around this fact of reality in the end hurt the poor far more than the rich, because the rich have other advantages which poor people don't which have nothing to do with campaign contributions or even money.

After all, which is better. A system where the rich have a voice of 100, and the poor have 1? Or a system where the rich have a voice of 10, but the poor have 0? I take the former.