1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the news media follow something other than ratings/money?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by meh, Aug 20, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

So I watched a recent episode of Daily Show where Jon Stewart went on a rant about the media ignoring Ron Paul while publicizing those who are even lesser known?

Now, I've always believed that the western media follow ratings. That they really just say stuff people want to hear and play on people's fears and preconceptions. So even though for example Fox News blatantly lies all the time, I find it plausible because their lies are stuff many Americans want to believe. Since millions of people watch them religiously, obviously what they say bring them ratings and money regardless of their truthfulness or lack of objectively.

But the Ron Paul non-story seems to not make sense. Sure, I can understand him not getting the same treatment as a Palin or Perry. But do viewers get turned off if the media even just report him? I mean, you'd think a polarizing figure would be some topic of discussion somewhere, right? So I'm scratching my head here. Is he really that bad for ratings? Or is there really a conspiracy thing here?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ron paul is a little looney but he is not sound bite looney.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ron Paul is still not very high when it comes to national polls

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Paul's problem is that he's run three or four times already and pretty much established himself as a fringe candidate. He's entered Jessie Jackson territory. The media will pay attention to two types of candidates; those who almost won last time around, and those who are new, unestablished and novel.

Paul is dead as a brand and his supporters are in danger of entering the Lyndon Larouche denial zone. Truthfully, as a short, ugly, unphotogenic man he never really had much chance, but he shouldn't have thrown his name in the ring so often when he was very clearly not viable, like when he ran on the Libertarian ticket. This is why you see fringe guys like Tim Pawlenty drop out so early. Paul has established a track record as a loser. It's better to not play the game than play and get beaten like a rented mule. He used up his novelty factor without establishing gravitas. I know his supporters don't like that, but if you really believe in his message, you need to find a new face to put in front of it.

1 person likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

ron paul is perfect for things like "straw polls". he has a very dedicated network, we've seen this act.

howeva, it was funny that rachel maddow did a segment on how fringe candidates who do well in the republican primary parlay their success into book deals/tv shows etc. she was talking about alan keyes, huckabee last year, of course palin and now bachmann.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

What you say would make sense if people actually know who he is. But it makes no sense for him to be "old story" when I don't think he's ever been a "story" period.

And I'm not even a Ron Paul fan, although I do tend to agree with more stuff he says than most. I just think there's no reason why the media should go out of their way to ignore him(if it's indeed the case). Seriously, it's not like the Republican field is made up of stars after stars that make for riveting TV 24hrs a day.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

ron paul was a decent story in 08. they're not doing it again

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you don't see it, you don't see it. The only thing I'd say is go talk to the Lyndon Laruche people harrassing people in front of post offices. They'll pretty much say what you did, and they blame it all on a massive conspiracy to silence Laruche, rather than the fact that the guy is just a played out never-was. But they can't understand that essentially nobody else sees whatever it is thst they see when they look at the guy.

I thin that if Paul had kept his powder dry up until now this might have been a good opportunity for him to sneak in, but he didn't so he won't.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yep, that's funny, he totally missed on his timing. this was the perfect year to introduce himself

howeva, his lack of popularity also demonstrates that the tea party is also about the social issues.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Some follow money, some follow politics, some are big and popular enough that they can do both.

Even more radical, I bet there are some politically conservative publishers who knowingly print a liberal paper, or vice versa; not because it's more profitable, but maybe just for some kind of vicarious social commentary, or because they separate their political views from their still equally biased editorial views. At least I'd like to think people are that complex.