1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Does the business side of the NBA discourage defense?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HAYJON02, Apr 22, 2008.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

First a question. If JVG replaced George Karl in Denver, would we see numbers from AI similar to Francis' first year under Van Gundy? Would Melo's numbers take a dive? Melo particularly needs to D up in the worst way. They cherrypick and it's obvious to everyone who sees their final scores. How can Marcus Camby, one of the best defensive players in the league be as effective as he is and the team overall still giving up 120 points regularly?

The way I look at it (and I'm sure I'm not alone), some players have inflated numbers because they play no D. If choosing to play no defense is comparable to the competitive advantage gained due to steroid use in baseball and you made all the league's superstars play JVG defense, what would happen to their numbers on an individual basis?

The other night JVG laughed off Mark Jackson's assertion that AI was "pound for pound" the greatest player ever. I'm guessing JVG has some of the thoughts I posed above. It seems like pretty common sense, but so much of the media hype is driven by offensive showmanship. And for good moneymoney reasons. Guys like Shane Battier will always get the short end of the media lovestick as long as the role of defense is undervalued.

That's right. "Lovestick" makes sense in context.

2. dback816

dback816 Member

That depends now doesn't it

Ben Wallace got a big contract didn't he?

Also if you look at the teams as a whole:

Playing great defense generally contributes to winning, and winning teams, for the most part, sell better than losing teams. (Ignoring things like market size, history, etc)

So I don't think it really discourages defense because bottom line is that there is only one ball and not everyone can score 30 a night. So those who can't shoot, defend. Unless they're lucky enough to play for the 2-3 successful coaches in this league that don't care about defense

3. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

JVG would be stupid to take that job, they're hopelessly involved with their egos. T-Mac is the most egotistical person on our team but he is not even in the same stratosphere as Allen Iverson and Melo.

T-Mac has always played decent 1 on 1 defense as it's the only reason he made it in the league, so I doubt he minded having a defensive minded coach like JVG. I believe he said defense is what got him playing time in Toronto.

4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If the NBA discouraged defense the Celtics wouldn't be so favored to win it all this year. The Spurs are always in the top 3 among opponent FG% and holding opponents to low point totals.

That said defensive games are ugly to watch and are rating killers. It's why I think there's such a poor turnout for NBA Finals games when all you have to look forward to is the Spurs winning in sometimes 70 to 80 point games. The same with the Pistons when they won. Even the Cavs last year who were one of the best defensive teams in the league.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The business side of every single sport encourages offense. Sometimes by limiting defense, especially lately in the NFL. Management and coaching know defense is the key.