1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Seinfeld hold up?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 1, 2018.

?

Does Seinfeld hold up?

1. yes, still funny after all these years, holds up great

48 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. yes, funniest show of all time!

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. no. Seinfeld's reign is over.

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. no. and for the record Seinfeld was never funny.

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Post-Millennials clearly don't have a sense of humor

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Shrinkage

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. No soup for you!

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Not that there's anything wrong with that

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  9. Assman

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  10. Double-dipping

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

this is a few years old, but someone created a bunch of seinfeld plots that have to do with 21st century issues...social media, modern technology, ect. kramer trying to be a williamsburg hipster would be gold jerry, gold.

[​IMG]

2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

New Simpsons doesn't hold up. Old Simpsons is still the greatest thing mankind ever created.

Ugh. Got me talking like a YouTube commenter.

3. omgTHEpotential

To be honest, the American version of The Office is okay. But the show got significantly worse in the last seasons. When Carrell left it became just a moneygrab for the network, nothing else. The British version though, with Ricky Gervais, is amazing. Might be the best show of its genre, ever.

#23 omgTHEpotential, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Gen-Xers had postwar, golden-era sitcoms drilled into us during our childhood because basic cable and UHF channels hadn't figured out original programming yet and just took less ad dollars for cheaper, recycled old content. Millenials and Gen-Z grew up with ever expanding channels and evolving media platforms, so they didn't have to manage their expectations, lower the curve when watching older stuff, or mentally hand-wave offensive imagery or dialogue. You probably don't hear phrases like "that was the time back then" or "they're just old school" as much from the current crop of twenty-somethings.

Seinfeld holds up in the same way Norman Lear or Desilu sitcoms do, as a reminder of the shortcomings of earlier conventional programming. Elaine Benes in particular paved the way for comedic female characters beyond the realm of motherhood or as a romantic prize for the male lead.

#24 Dairy Ashford, Dec 1, 2018
    Deuce, Nook and The Hunted like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I recently rewatched the whole series.There’s some seriously great late series office episodes while Carrell is still there. As good as any in the whole run. It does take a massive dive when he leaves but it isn’t terrible.

The British Series is fantastic but it’s 2 short seasons. The American version has way more stinkers but it’s got like 5 times the amount of great material because it’s just so much longer.

But Seinfeld is still the greatest of all time. Absolutely holds up.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The answer is yes. And why does Seinfeld hold up so well? If they started a new season today, they wouldn't miss a beat. In fact, there was a whole Facebook page, Modern Seinfeld, devoted to current story ideas, and many are so spot on perfect.

Nook likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is the plot from arguably one of the best episodes from the best seasons of of CYE (2009) - this is the same show cleverly updated... literally.
    _______

Larry David is hopeful that his plan is working to win back his ex-wife Cheryl (Cheryl Hines). He previously cast her in the Seinfeld reunion show as Amanda, ex-wife of George, played by Jason Alexander. Meanwhile, Julia Louis-Dreyfus holds a party in honor of Jason's book release, Acting Without Acting, which Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld criticize for being too short. At the party, Julia Louis-Dreyfus accuses Larry of leaving a "ring stain" on an antique table in her house. Larry claims his innocence and refuses to pay for the damages, and thus decides to find the person responsible; the person who does not "respect wood."

Nook likes this.
  8. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

What's fbe?

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

The creators of the kids react videos in the OP.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

These are perfect. I remember seeing them too.

With all the shows they remake, I wish they'd redo Seinfeld.

Jerry has more sense than that though.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes it holds up. No I won't watch that 15 minute video featuring dipshits I don't care about.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

you know what really holds up? fresh prince and saved by the bell.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

What I can't believe is that the kikiwacka camp leader has a national commercial shooting non-stop baskets. Talk about the least likely thing to ever happen.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Dupe

#34 CCity Zero, Dec 1, 2018
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is what I was kind of curious on, I love Curb but, what would these newer/younger audiences think? I mean some of the kids on the video probably don't even watch TV. I know a lot of the newer gen just streams YouTube and other junk.

Like for example, the kids in the video act like Seinfeld wouldn't be relevant but I bet they'd react the same to the latest season of Curb, "that's just not pc" or something, blah blah blah. So as the new generation is coming up and replacing everyone will shows like Seinfeld/Curb/Sunny hold up still, or is it that they'd watch it/similar shows, but it would be too taboo to like/discuss on a video on YT?

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not likeable? They're designed to be despicable. Basically reflections of everyone's worst thoughts and moments. It's the ironic way that Larry David makes his characters relatable.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedditWritesSeinfeld/

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I thought I'd educate my kids the other day and we watched the MASH pilot. Holy moley was it bad. It is also extremely dated in the sexist jokes. Cringe-worthy now. Of course, back then I thought it was awesome.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You’ve just now realized that??? Lol that’s the whole entire basis of the show

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

#SpearchuckerJones