1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Rick Adelman seem pretty clueless about this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ambrose86, Nov 25, 2008.

?

How confident are YOU in Rick Adelman?

1. Extremely...look at the 22 game win streak last yr

123 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. At least give him the full season to prove himself

68 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. leaning towards firing him

18 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Fire this guy asap

8 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. joesr

joesr Member

I dont know which games you watch but no he doesnt

2. joesr

joesr Member

the problem I have is him playing Yao longer then recommended (32min)

miami was a team to take advantage of that. if he is such a good coach he would have been able to devise a plan to keep the offense moving with Yao out, 6'10 is the tallest guy they had, gimme a break. he needs to have two sets of running offense. with yao and without.

adelman will reinjure yao if he keeps this up

3. blk5g

blk5g Member

dude i like the way you think...

4. joesr

joesr Member

oh i replied to this for a reason. you cant give us 2nd best in the WC as an excuse when the other teams who are supposed to be are rivals equals if not better then then us with our current state of health are not playing well either.

it feels everyone but the nba finals teams are off to a slow start.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

First off I have a lot of confidence in Coach. He is a very smart man and has been doing this, with tons of success, for years. My only beef with him would be that I don't believe he should try to instill his system into the players. My way of seeing it is to instill the players into a system, if that makes any sense.

I mean look at it this way; when Coach was in Sac he ran the motion offense because he had great passers and shooters, his big man was Vlade and that made it run even smoother seeing that he is a face to the basket type player that fit perfectly with the type of players on the team.

Houston on the other hand; we have the best back to the basket player in Yao and a bunch of guys that can shoot but sporadically, not efficient. Our Big 3's strengths are all posting up, so that means we need the Coach to find a different system that will help get the most out of our players.

My point is that Coach needs to find the right way to use the players he has on this roster.

And just cause someone asks, why the team is shooting poorly and he says I don't know, doesn't mean he doesn't know. He probably meant that they are getting open shots but aren't hitting them, but that's just my opinion.

6. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I thought the whole point of selective Member status was to avoid threads like this.

This team is 10-5, should be 12-3, in the Western Conference, with 2/3 of their games on the road, 2/3 of their games against (in all likelihood) playoff teams, all the while STILL battling injuries to several key players (McGrady, Battier, Barry).

But our coach has no idea what he's doing. That's right, the one who's got a pretty good shot at cracking the NBA's top 10 of all-time winningest coaches.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't know, at times he seems clueless, at times he appears on target. He has a good history in the league; I am not sure his "system" fits these players, I don't think it does, but he appears to be open to adjustments. If they win, he will get credit, if they lose, he will get much of the blame. I would be interested to know what the players think.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, I agree. Also I think that he played Yao too many min.at the beginning, right now the medical doctor recommend Yao and TMac to play only 30 min, otherwise, I wonder if he is still going to play Yao for 38-40 mins, this could be one of the reasons for a slow start.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think the quote the OP is so concerned about is more about effort than offensive gameplan. He's basically saying we should have been playing like this all year, which I agree with.

10. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

RA is good for the ROX now and for future teams.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You forgot the choice that says the OP is stupid and so is the Poll.

I pick that one

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Rockets are a Brandon Roy shot & Tim Duncan shot from being 12-3......Those are STAR players. Telling me Adelman has NO CLUE that All Star players are getting shots in the final seconds and didnt do anything about it??!! :mad: :mad:

( :rolleyes: )

13. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Jeez Louizzzzzzz some of you guys will find any reason to complain. Don't be so dang negative, we are in first place in our division and second place in the west. Last time I checked that equals "pretty dang good"... :rolleyes:

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well for everyone who picked the last choice I already have the thread ready for you:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=157101&highlight=FIRE+ADELMAN
    ;)

Seriously though I don't have complete confidence in Adelman but since I am naturally a skeptic I don't have complete confidence in anyone. I think Adelman is doing a good job and I like his willingness to adjust and experiment rather than just try to hammer the Rockets into his particular mode.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yet we are leading that pack outside of the NBA final teams. You're complaining that we're not pulling away from other good teams that happen to be playing poorly well consider that we also have a key injury in Battier and T-mac is complaining that he is hobbled. So maybe other teams aren't at full strength but neither are we yet we are ahead of them.

16. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

You're talking about one of NBA finest coach here. Show some respect, the guy has been around longer and has more success than JVG. Some people just gotta stop making something out of nothing. The answer Adelman gave to the media is what any person with a common sense would have given. It was an indirect answer meaning he does not want reveal the real truth.

17. comehere2

comehere2 Member

he needs more time.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

+1. Actually this is my main beef with Adleman. I like his philosophy, his demeanor, his winning percentage and the fact that he can control a lot of problematic players, but his in-game decisions need a lot to be desired, especially at the start concerning Yao at the start (you know, before he remembered Yao was a dominant post player lol). The one that really ticked me off though was the "talk to each other" defense rant...what the heck was that :confused:

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I believe in Adelman. Last year JVG would have had the Rockets win 6 games in a row then lose a game then win a small 5 game win streak. There was never a consistent string of wins like what Adelman did his first year as head coach.

He did get them to play a better brand of basketball as well. They got past that streak of being too dependent on McGrady when he was out. In previous years when McGrady went down they had like a 2 and 14 record.

They broke .500 at least against some quality teams when he was gone last year. In fact, I think it made McGrady want to come back quicker seeing the ball move so much faster without him on the court. It was sort of a blessing when T-Mac went down last year. Yao really started to take the reins and established himself as the leader of the team. McGrady actually looked relieved when Yao took over before he got injured.

He helped develop Landry in practice last year, knew to pick him over Mike Harris, hand picked Brooks, helped the Rockets not be dependent on McGrady so much, and actually let the team think for themselves. I really think if it wasn't for injuries last year we have at least matched up in the Western Conference Finals. The team was a completely different animal last year.

This team for all its inconsistencies has a 10-5 record, is a 2nd seed in the West, and hasn't even peaked yet. If he has a fault I do think its in his substitution patterns and playing our stars too many minutes sometimes.

I just think its good how he lets the players establish their own identity instead of JVG stamping his identity on the team. Both are good in their own right, but I prefer Adelman's philosophy.

20. blender

blender Member

Coaches don't always take the time to explain things to the media. JVG himself often gave vague answers like "They didn't play hard enough" or "They need to take the game more seriously" during post-game conferences.