1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Phillips Rivers do anything for you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 18, 2015.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If BOB turns down a fair trade for Rivers, he'd should exiled from the Western Hemisphere?

Really, what is it with these mediocre teams think they are too special to get elite players ... *cough* Houston *cough* Atlanta *cough* Carolina*

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

If I had to put a timeline on it I'd say JJ's career arc should end up like this.

25-28: Best defender in the NFL

28-30: Elite

31-33: Great

34-37: Good

37+: Above average

40+: Jesus JJ call it quits bro

That's how Bruce Smith/Reggie White looked, at least.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What makes you think that Philip Rivers is more than marginally better than Matt Ryan or Cam Newton, if that's what you're getting at?

Fair trade is the key though. I'd assume there's a wide range in what many on this board think is a fair trade for Rivers, and a wide range in what many NFL teams think is a fair trade for Rivers. To me, the most I'd give is a first and a fourth round pick. Nothing more.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Ummm No, my comment is unrelated to Matty Ice and Cam Newton, nothing to do with those teams QBs, but more so their GMs.

More to do with those teams persistence in not signing or sometimes not drafting high caliber players or free agents for whatever reason.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yep, this is the key. It seems like at least 60-70% of people are in for Rivers at the right cost. But that varies so much. Some say 2 1sts--I think that's insane. You say 1st/4th. I say 1st or 2nd/5th. Some might say only a 4th/7th..who knows.

The value of draft picks is so high in the NFL. And the value of players in trades is so weird/unknown...especially QBs. There isn't a ton of history to base it on, and sometimes people incorrectly use other sports as benchmarks.

At the end of the day, we have to hope Rick and BOB are open to the idea and that SD's asking price is low enough. I feel like this is destined to be a lose-lose scenario (lots of fans annoyed regardless of trade/no-trade) unless the Texans win 11+ games next year or Rivers signs an extension with SD, which would make it infeasible.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's 33; not 43. There are better QBs than Rivers who are also older.

In terms of health, he hasn't missed a start in 9 years. Maybe he plays hurt a lot, I don't know - but he appears fairly durable.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Chargers have no intention of letting Philip Rivers go anywhere, per <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet">@RapSheet</a> on NFL Total Access. Los Angeles is overplayed as a factor.</p>&mdash; Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/578332477225181184">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;Philip Rivers WILL be the <a href="https://twitter.com/Chargers">@Chargers</a> quarterback for the foreseeable future.&quot; - <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet">@RapSheet</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLTotalAccess?src=hash">#NFLTotalAccess</a></p>&mdash; NFL Network (@nflnetwork) <a href="https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/578332896840142848">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Philip Rivers will play out his contract, even as <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash">#Chargers</a> want to give him an extension. He has some leverage. They do, too, with the tag.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/578332964863373312">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

1 person likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So it ain't happening, and I need to continue my mental preparation for Ryan Mallett. Gotcha. That was fun for about the 15 minutes that it lasted.

1 person likes this.
  9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The dudes pretty good when he doesn't throw a high %INT's
    But that hasn't happend for about 4-5 seasons now.
    I had my fill of pick 6's with schuab.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Nah, not a thing.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Drew Brees does

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I do believe you've overlooked Commander Cody Carlson.

13. msn

msn Member

...and Vince.

#duckingrottentomatoes

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I loved the Commander when he won that huge game in Pittsburgh while Moon was injured. That was a surprisingly good day.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was a home game at the dome... sunday night... they exploded for a 34-14 win. Man, crazy what is easily memorable and things that get easily forgotten. (for instance, I had no idea that was the year they went to Cincy and got curb-stomped in the playoffs... and it was just the following week).

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I guess we can put this thread to rest.

I was hoping to arrive this morning to see it blowing up with twitter rumors posted by JR of interest from both teams.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It just didn't seem the timing was right. Perhaps, we should have seriously thought about it before spending cap space on two quarterbacks.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wow, you're right! I was thinking that was a day game...in cold weather. Maybe I'm confusing that with the following week @Cincy.

I'm old.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I don't think our spending has anything to do with it. This is all up to San Diego. If they don't want to send him out, he's not going anywhere. The franchise tag is like the ultimate cockblock for trade scenario dreaming.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Plus his reason for wanting to leave made no sense. He doesn't want to move his family from SD all the way to LA...so he chooses to go to another team and move his family to another STATE. Ooooookay.....