1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Phillips Rivers do anything for you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you are wanting to spend like 40+million dollars on the QB position next season? Smart.

2. raining threes

Forgot about that,

With that said, after watching 15 yrs of bad QB play I would task Rick with finding a way to get Rivers.

3. raining threes

If that's what it takes to get a above avg NFL staring QB, then yes I bite this bullet next yr.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that there is a hard cap right? Making an irresponsible move like that would mean you'd have to cut other players. This isn't the NBA or MLB.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm hoping for Deshaun Watson in the draft.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You think he'll be there in the 2nd or 3rd round?

7. dmoneybangbang

Rivers makes $21 mil per season with a cap number of $20 mil in 2017 and rises $1 mil per year for two more years. Rivers has a no trade clause. It's not night and day difference from Brock as his cap number starts at $19 mil in 2017 and rises $1 mil per year for 2 more years.....

raining threes likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

He's no Ryan Mallet either, that boy is cheap, hillbilly meth cheap.

9. Buck Turgidson

If you can get Rivers (or Brees, or whatever very good vet QB), you get that guy, even if it's just for a year or 3.

You do it.

raining threes and MadMax like this.
  10. raining threes

Yep, cutting JOJO/Cushing/Wilfork would clear around 18 mil and if you traded Os to the Chargers you have around 24 mil. and there's your Rivers QB for the next 4 yrs. I use the extra 4 mil to pick up a vet ILB, or use it on a Hop extension.

I really wouldn't care if letting Hop go was the cost of getting Rivers. I'm just fed up with going to the games and having to watch the Fitz/Hoyer/Os of the world crap the bed on a consistent basis.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Complete and total insanity.

12. dmoneybangbang

Maybe able to restructure JJO/Cush/Wilfork. But this team is destined for mediocrity with a bottom tier offense. Broncos weren't close to repeating even with a still elite defense.

13. Buck Turgidson

Why?

It all depend on cap considerations...if you could feasibly get a Brees/Rivers/etc, why wouldn't you try, instead of playing shitty qb roulette over and over.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because you are talking about gutting the team for a QB that will turn 36 years old next year and has a history of nothing but choking when it matters. That's complete and total insanity. This might as well be the thread talking about picking up Romo.

15. raining threes

Explanation please

BTW, I dont think the Chargers would ever trade Rivers while moving to LA.

I think Rivers will be a franchise QB for the next 3-4 yrs. Obviously you dont. Are you an Os fan?

Losing Wilfork/Cush/JoJo wont hurt at all, since they will probably be cut this offseason anyways.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'd lose more than that to dump 40 mil into the QB spot. You'd also lose Bouye, wouldn't be able to give Nuk a new contract which would mean losing him, wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING in FA.....I mean, I don't know why I'm even still talking about this. There's no chance whatsoever of it happening and it wouldn't even be a good thing if it did happen.

17. raining threes

Point out where he choked in the playoffs.

Yes they lost to BB/ Brady lead teams, but there's no shame in that. HYe tore his ACl in a playoff game they won against Indy and came back and played well with a torn ACl the next week in a loss to the Pats. A game I think they would've won if LT hadn't gotten hurt early in the game.

18. raining threes

Any GM that has had the QB play the Texans have had would trade Nuk/Bouye for Rivers. It's much easier to replace a CB/WR than it is to find a franchise QB for 4 yrs. Who's to say Bouye doesn't sign a big contract and regress back into the player he was before this yr? It's happened before when guys sign big contracts.

Agreed it will never happen, the Chargers will never do it and the McNair's have proven they dont like taking chances like this. See: Manning, Peyton

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This could take some time.

2006, the Chargers are 14-2 with the top scoring offense and 7th best scoring defense......they lose 24-21 in the first playoff game. Rivers has 1 pick and no TD's but also added a fumble.

2007, the Chargers are 11-5 with the 5th best scoring offense and 7th best scoring defense.....and they lose 21-12 in the AFC championship game. Rivers has 2 picks and no TD's, but at least this time he didn't fumble.

2008, the Chargers are 8-8 with the 2nd best scoring offense and 15th "best" scoring defense thankfully the division was garbage so they got in the playoffs anyway.......losing in the 2nd round 35-24 despite the best game by Rivers in the playoffs to that point in his career. He only had 1 pick and 3 TD passes.

2009, The Chargers are 13-3 with the 4th best scoring offense and the 11th "best" scoring defense.....and they lose 17-14 in their first playoff game against the great Mark Sanchez. Rivers throws 2 picks and fumbles in this one, but he did actually get a TD pass. Another season wasted

2010 They don't even make the playoffs

2011 They don't even make the playoffs

2012 They don't even make the playoffs

2013 They are a 9-7 team with a 12 ranked scoring offense and 11th ranked scoring defense and they get beat in the 2nd round by Old man Manning outplaying Rivers.

They haven't made the playoffs since then

Yeah that's just the guy I want to blow up my team for when he's turning 36. That's a for sure recipe for success.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member