1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Does James Harden deserve All-NBA recognition?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dream2franchise, Apr 11, 2016.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He deserves 2nd imo (behind curry/WB), I was wrong about how they voted I thought it was by position so if it were guard or w.e I think he should get 2nd at the worst.

2. dream2franchise

I too would not be surprised. Only disappointed.

(Related to topic, but not your comment) There's an argument for being multi-faceted on offense which I don't think gets made enough.

People hear offense and think 'scoring', but I believe it's unfair. On offense there FEW players who can do what Harden is doing. That deserves recognition in itself. There are so many aspects of offense that separates Harden from his peers.

If a player like Butler, Klay, Paul George or Lillard gets all-NBA consideration then there's no reason Harden shouldn't. No player in the league is carrying the offensive weight he is. That should be recognised.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

yup, indeed

4. MistaK

MistaK Member

No question, he deserves it!! He is that good!! Should be all-nba first team (worst case, second team) will likely get third team.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He'll make 2nd team with Lowry if not WB

Totally disagree that WB is a 1st team shoe-in. If the main criticism about Harden is his defense, WB deserves the same treatment for his horrid gambling during critical moments. If the main criticism is TO's, WB has had a ridiculous amount of them as well and is realistically only behind Harden because he has played less minutes (344 more minutes yet only 31 more TO's; Harden avg's 8.29 minutes per turnover while WB avg's 8.04)

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Statwise he is nearly equal to last season outside of assists and turnovers being higher so he should make at least 3rd team.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

Davis made first team last year with his team in the 8th seed and Boogie made second team with his team not even in the playoffs. If we're talking guards, Harden has been as good as anyone not named Curry.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree but some ballets have been coming out (eg David Aldridge, Bill Simmons) and he's missing all three teams. Guards in front - some combo of Westbrook/curry team 1, paul/Thompson, Lowry/lillard teams 2 and 3. Tough to argue paul, Thompson is 1/2 of a historically great team, Lowry has the raptors in second in the east, and lillard took an under talented (comparatively) team to 5th while the rockets have been a disaster. I think there's a good chance he misses the all NBA teams. Unfair, but maybe it will motivate him.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought all NBA was an individual achievement award

Thompson is a straight up system babby and rides of curry's coattail and doesnt even deserved to be mentioned with the others. Lowry doesn't contribute half as much as Harden does to the Rockets, he has another all star in Derozan who arguably have been just as impactful to the Raptors

The only guards individually better is Curry, Westbrook is equal maybe better.

10. boiler

boiler Member

He should make All-NBA 2rd team at least. Had he played the entire season like he's been playing since all-star break, he should be on the 1st team.

11. tdo

tdo Member

I agree with most everyone on the thread that says he "deserves" it. Outside of the horrid start to the season, he has been every bit as good as he was last season, at least offensively. That being said, I wouldn't be disappointed if they left him off the ballots. It will be a talking point all off-season, and it will give him the push he didn't have last summer.

12. munco

munco Member

Probably 3rd team. 2nd is unlikely. Wouldn't be shocked if he didn't make any. Lots of great choices. Curry/Westbrook are a lock. CP3 is a lock for 2nd team.
    Then you have Thompson, Lillard, Lowry, Harden competing for 3 spots. I think Thompson gets 2nd team.

13. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Honestly, it's crazy that Durant probably won't make All-NBA first team.

I think Harden will definitely make one of the teams, and probably second team.

First Team
    G: Steph Curry
    G: Russell Westbrook
    F: Kawhai Leonard
    F: LeBron James
    C: DeMarcus Cousins

Second Team
    G: Chris Paul
    G: James Harden
    F: Kevin Durant
    F: Draymond Green
    C: Karl-Anthony Towns

First Team
    G: Kyle Lowry
    G: Damien Lillard
    F: Jimmy Butler
    F: Anthony Davis
    C: Andre Drummond

Something like that seems rational.

14. bmd

bmd Member

Harden is the 2nd leading scorer in the NBA and 6th in assists as a shooting guard. Of course he deserves to make the All-NBA team.

15. bmd

bmd Member

By the way... there has only been 22 times in NBA history that a player has averaged 28 pts and 7 assists in a season.

Only 10 different players have done it besides James Harden.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. Damn! This is the second time in a week I've agreed with you, DD. I must be slipping! ;-)-

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

some of you are absolutely ridiculous. he deserves 2nd all team no question.

how many people have even averaged 28 7 6 ??

18. dream2franchise

All valid points. Westbrook is not a good defender, but I feel his intensity and aggressiveness gets him a lot of favour with casual fans non obsessive media types. Most assume he's a good defender.

These are the reasons I think Harden is a better player than Westbrook. He is a better shooter, ball handler, both have great court vision, both are meh defenders, but Harden is much more offensively versatile right now. Westbrook is not as great a finisher through contact and he certainly relies on his athleticism more which may cause his game to age badly. His on court decisions also leave a lot to be decided (rushed/forced shots when there is a better option on the floor). Harden can be just as guilty of this, but his offensive options aren't as plentiful as WB's.

The triple doubles are impressive though, and shouldn't be overlooked. I don't watch enough OKC games to see how he gets these though. It's not to the detriment of the team since I believe they've won every one of those games.

I've said before, but if Harden simply looked more active on defense there wouldn't be anywhere near as much criticism.

19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I don't understand how people think he could possibly be left off. I'd be very surprised if he got anything other than at least 2nd.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's easy when the majority of the fanbase are either complete idiots, haters, or trolls.