1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Ime change the starting 5 after the all-star break?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Feb 18, 2024.

?

Vote

Poll closed Feb 25, 2024.
  1. Yes

97 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is so Tonya Harding-ish.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It wasn't just Jalen that cried how hard he works.

The team, other players and literally every member of the media who commented said he had a great work ethic. I don't doubt that.

Problem is, what he has worked on hasn't translated to being a better basketball player.

It's like he read all the cliché bullsh!t posted here on CF about how he needs to get stronger, improve his handles and better at this or that ..... when the real problem is his shooting - he's shot .274 this season on uncontested 3 point shots.
    This goes back to similar numbers in the first two seasons under Silas where he got an absurd number of open looks from 3. That was what Silas offense was geared to do - generate open looks on the perimeter for "shooters". Jabari has poor numbers too but improved significantly, .307 last year to .360 today.

That's the one reason I'd be reluctant to give up on Jalen, all he has to do is fix his shot and the whole narrative changes. He becomes that great fit on paper that Stone talked about recently - If he can shoot league average or better from 3.
    The question is - Can he (before the team gives up on him).

glynch, tmchoi, cheke64 and 1 other person like this.
  3. cml750

cml750 Member

It is not only his outside shot. He sucks on drives to the basket unless the rim is wide open.

4. PeppermintCandy

Like I said, I don't really keep up with the stats, but I went to nba.com and looked at the starting 4 with Green, and with the two potential replacements in the starting lineup, Thompson, and Whitmore.

With Green, they played 35 games for 569 minutes. They were Houston's most used 5-man unit by far.
    They had a net rating of 3.4. (Off: 113.8 / Def: 110.4)
    Not great, but still a net positive and much better than a lot of other combinations. And surprisingly, the best defensive rating out of the three.

Thompson played with the starting 4 in eight games for 76 minutes.
    The net rating was -15.3 (Off: 116.4 / Def: 131.4)
    Eight games is not that many, but not the best net rating.

Whitmore only played with the starting 4 in two games for just 8 minutes.
    But they had a whopping 40.0 net rating. (Off: 180.0 / Def: 140.0)

So, looking at these comparisons, I guess you'd be tempted to put in Whitmore in the starting lineup. But eight minutes is a very tiny sample size.
    And I personally don't see a reason to give up on the starting unit with Green just yet.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^
    ||

lulz, Roosh just said on RocketsWatch that since Amen is getting more minutes than Jalen in both games since ASB, that "maybe Ime was going to bench Jalen, but after all the commotion my tweets made, he decided to keep him as starter, but give Amen more mintues while benching Jalen in the 4th"

well, that was easy to predict.

@Reeko @REEKO_HTOWN @SamFisher @J.R.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stir the pot.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jalen in the 4th to @Roosh Williams:

snowconeman22 and daywalker02 like this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's just a matter of time.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe rename to Roosh Telecom.

SamFisher likes this.
  10. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

If I was Green I would’ve be more offended if a Coach still starts me but gives me a bench minutes in first half and 3rd stringer mins in 2nd half.

Aruba77 likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think at this point it’s obvious that if we don’t want to dig a hole in the first quarter we need to adjust that starting lineup. I’m assuming there’s some reason why Ime has not made changes but I honestly can’t figure it out. I have a hard time believing Stone has the power to do what he did with Silas.

clutchdabear and daywalker02 like this.
  12. invocux

invocux Member

He has to at this point. Sengun-Jabari-Amen-Cam-Fred is the way to go.

Bo6 and daywalker02 like this.
  13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Roosh is the Jalen Green of sports media.

NewAge, Corrosion and Dobbizzle like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Except that he is not media as we learned, a mere Influencer who is interested in sports and has a following.

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Start Cam and Amen. Brooks has been dreadful for a long time. 2 points 6 fouls last night. That would never happen though.

FVV / Cam / Amen / Jabari / Sengun is the unbiased starting 5.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think you go ahead and make a change with Jalen moving to a 6th man scoring role. I do think he’s gotta still be featured given the fact that he’s the #2 pick and his future in regards to contract extension decisions FOR THE TEAM WE TRADE HIM TO is incredibly important. If you just take him out almost entirely the rest of the season your pool of buyers for Jalen Green and the value you can get for him tanks. You gotta play and feature the guy.

But we have all the data we need to determine our starting 5 isn’t working. We get killed every game now to start the game and our bench has to dig us out. Part of that has nothing to do with Jalen Green and you can point the finger at Brooks being lackluster and Senguns defensive decline as the season has went on.

Ime needs to shake up the lineup and hard to see a more obvious change than moving Jalen to the 6th man scorer spot even though we need to be honest that the issues with the starters coming out of the gate sucking isn’t all Jalen’s fault.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

As much as Jalen gets all the flak, Dillon has been even more awful lately. If he is still hurt, he shouldn't be playing. If he's fully recovered, then there's no excuse.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How does our starting lineup’s net rating compare with other teams in the league?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nancy Kerrigan got something to say to that.

coachbadlee likes this.
  20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This makes me want to stand outside the Toyota center and ask 5000 people as they walk in "have you heard about all the Roosh Williams commotion" and then when all 5000 people say "no, who is Roosh Williams?" I can send him the video on twitter and get blocked

snowconeman22 and theDude like this.