1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Ime change the starting 5 after the all-star break?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Feb 18, 2024.

?

Vote

Poll closed Feb 25, 2024.
  1. Yes

97 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is already being benched....

It is now benching him during the game VS potentially benching him from the get go.

He is already frustrated shown after the Philly game ....going on Twitter and interacting with some dude.

The 6th man role or tag is just one FORMALITY.

That ship sailed, you can end the season making him happy and let him stat pad all he wants though, that is on Udoka.....as long as you do not give him that max contract because honestly they would be dumb to do that now knowing that he got no leadership.

I expect more out of a 22 year old dude, the NBA expedites your maturity, at least it should.

#41 daywalker02, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    Plowman, cml750 and jcmoon like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

If you're fairly set on trading him in the offseason, then sure, I guess that could make some sense.

If you're not sure what you're going to do, and there's a high chance that he ends up being benched in favor of Amen/Cam at some point in the near future (say, during preseason ball before next season), I don't see much benefit in waiting. If he's going to pitch a fit about it, it's actually better to have him do so during a season where we're probably already out of the playoff picture.

If, on the other hand, he's going to accept the change in role, then benching him now probably helps with potential contract negotiations in the offseason.

Easy likes this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to! That front office can B*tch and complain all they want. STONE can cry all he wants about his battered ego. The whole selling point of this season was a culture change! " People earning playing time. ""Winning as a priority." It's time the Rockets prove that it wasn't all talk.
    The Miami Heat drafted Michael Beasley with the 2nd pick of the draft. I guarantee those Heat fans aren't mad at all with that pick now since they corrected that mistake.
    Egos be damned, make the roster change Ime!

DaDakota, Y2JT, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Jeff Green is awful as a starter this year though. Like barely above Jock Landale level. Unless he's been hiding an injury, his play has really regressed of late. Can see Tate getting that role as much as Jeff

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ime is highly regarded in the NBA. In one season in Boston he won 62% of his games. He made it to the NBA finals. I doubt Houston was the only team in the NBA he could’ve come to. Ime didn’t come here to add a bunch of Losses to his pristine coaching record.
    In the off season the team tried to add Fred, Dillon AND Lopez. Not to mention the number of vets they signed.

Anyone that thinks this team didn’t start this season with the goal of winning as many games as possible and pushing for a playoff spot is out of touch with reality.

They definitely did not want to give a conference rival, that also has a young team with a similar timeline, a top 10 draft pick.

Stop the insanity.
    What they didn’t envision is Jalen being as bad as he’s been, Landale being completely useless 99.9% of the time and injuries to all the best wing defenders at one time.

That said, I believe at some point they scaled back the expectations. So I do not believe changes will be made unless they are pretty much out on Jalen.

Shark44 likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jalen and Jabari are our weakest link. Soft on defense and dormant on offense

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol and Uncle Jeff looks like a 50 year old at times and like a 20 year at other times.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’ve been an unwavering supporter of Ime since he was just a candidate to come here, he has not been perfect but happy with him overall. However, all the talk about accountability will be a joke if Jalen isn’t eventually benched. He will lose the respect of the rest of the team, and his supporters like me.

vince, Jontro and cml750 like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Good thoughts. I’d just say, I don’t think an organization that’s trying to build a winning culture should make these decisions based on the worry that a player might not like it and pout.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As Rockets collapse, Udoka hints at new lineup. Who will head to the bench?
    Green has scored 10-or-fewer points 14 times this season (he combined for 20 sub-10-point outings in his first two NBA seasons). His three-point shooting has ticked down to 30.7 percent this season, and the Rockets score 8.9 points fewer per 100 possessions with Green on the floor compared to when he sits, per Cleaning the Glass.

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/amen-thompson-jalen-green-starter-18670511.php

11. cml750

cml750 Member

My guess is Cam or Amen will be replacing Jalen very quickly. Perhaps they give Jalen another game or two but it will not be long before he goes to the bench, likely forever. This is a move that is long overdue. Seeing how Jalen handles it should be interesting. Hopefully it will motivate him. I would love to be proven wrong about him.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Need to move Roosh Williams into the starting lineup so he can mentor Cam like he did Jalen

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think the FO will ask @RooshWilliams to keep counseling Jalen before they decide to bench him. When you have access to a basketball giant like Roosh, it would be criminal not to use him.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Was on a business trip last week, so I was just able to watch Knicks game from last week. Amen's defense was amazing, but the steal he made where he dove on the floor and nudged the ball to a teammate for a fast break was the kind of effort this team needs to start winning again.

I voted "No" but if FVV returns I could see Ime making the move to Amen. Defensively this would be a far superior backcourt and with Amen starting to jell with Alpi it will be a lot of fun to watch.

However, I'm trying to picture Jalen, Cam and Holiday trio. Very dynamic for sure. Perhaps if Jalen becomes the playmaker it could work well, especially if Jalen takes less 3pt FGs and focuses on driving and kicking to C & H. It might just work.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

That strategy made somewhat sense up to the trade deadline. Now that it is past there is no reason not to make changes that make the team better. I think the move would have happened already if not for injuries to Cam and FVV.

16. vince

vince Member

I think this is the reason he is losing the confidence from the team. You can tell they are frustrated that Ime keeps parading Jalen Green onto the court, while he continues to be vastly inconsistent and a negative.

The irony here is that he is a positive on the defensive end, yet a big negative on the offensive side of things. And his defense can’t be confused for anything other than merely solid; it definitely not lockdown good.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He is not a positive on the defensive end, he is a net negative overall.

DD

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fred
    Dillon
    Amen
    Tari
    Alpi

Probably our strongest starting lineup right now.

But I could also see

Fred
    Amen
    Bari
    Tari
    Alpi

going forward.

Eventually,

Amen
    Cam
    Bari
    Tari
    Alpi

Ankara1923 likes this.
  19. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Jabari has potential to dominate on both ends, he has shown that a few times I just think he is focused on trying to do the right thing a play his role but Jalen has been given the keys and is soft on both ends. If they tell Jabari that they are going through him and he needs to lead us then we see a different Jabari

clutchdabear and cheke64 like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The only reason he looks like a positive on the defensive end is because he shares minutes with guys who actually play defense, like Sengun, Brooks,, Bari, FVV.