1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Houston Have Real Chinese Food

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Nov 26, 2020.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Has OP ever been to Houston? Of course there is Chinese food lol

Who the hell would eat at a PF Changs?

I'd put Orange county #2. The Valley out there also has very good vietnamese

Nook likes this.
  2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Never heard that take. Interesting.
    Anny recommendations for Chinese and other spots for that part of Houston?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I cannot eat Mala, my tongue would be numb.

So there is lots of sweet, mild, bland, sour tastes in all authentic local cuisines that's not necessarily hot.

Kungpao is actually an authentic one, they just made it a lot more greasy and sweeter for the Westerner's taste buds.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

PF Changs?

Go to China town dude.

No Worries and pgabriel like this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Totally agree. Houston's Chinatown/Asiatown is a modern Chinatown. Not tourist friendly at all, just a large area of Americana style strip malls in the suburbs where Chinese and other Asian immigrants actually live. It caters to them and maybe local non-asian foodies, not tourists.

I had some friends up here (Denver) visiting Houston and they asked me what to do. I gave them a list of things they enjoyed, but I'm someone that grew up in Houston, its not exactly tourist friendly without someone telling you what to do/where to go. I told them to go to Bellaire to get some real asian food (being in Denver, we have basically no decent non-white food). They'd never heard of it and blew their minds lol.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't even think I've ever been to Chinatown without an Asian person or two as my guide. I don't know the names of half the places they've taken me to and half of them don't even take credit cards. The last place I went to was Crown Seafood.

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

That might've been true for the old Chinatown in EaDo, but the Chinatown on Bellaire on southwest part of town is legit. I don't see many tourists, just people that enjoy food and want to do grocery shopping.

Both Sugar Land and Katy have growing Asiatown, but still pales in comparison to the Bellaire Chinatown/Asiatown.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Okie dokie. Keep living in your bubble.

10. adoo

adoo Member

look in the mirror

the only thing u know about Vietnamese food in the US is that
    u don't know where the best Vietnamese food is
    so stop pretending !

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

For those that know Vietnamese In Houston, is there decent Bo Kho anywhere? In the past, I’ve had to make it myself ‘cuz I haven’t found any decent examples in any Houston restaurants.

12. Buck Turgidson

Love that stuff. What cut of beef do you use? I've done shank and chuck and something else I can't remember.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Sure. Some day venture outside of California. While I really enjoy California, there are many wonderful places outside the state, some even more interesting and better. I have traveled the globe, lived inside the USA and outside the USA. The odd thing is snobs and the ignorant are the same whether in San Francisco or São Paulo or Beijing or Birmingham.

14. Aware

Aware Member

of course lol

head down to alief, my guy

my mind is blown reading this thread.
    its like a lot of people have never stepped out of their bubble.

southwest houston is filled with chinese/viet food. and i mean like authentic food not chain restaurants. i am not sure how accurate this is anymore but i remember reading somewhere that outside of norcal(or maybe it was socal?), houston has the biggest viet community in the states.

#54 Aware, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Outlier likes this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

what does this have to do w your supposed knowledge of Vietnamese food in the US??

FWIW
    Donald Trump has traveled the globe;
    he lives on a fast food diet and burgers​

case in point,

nook, who doesn't know Vietnamese food in the US, but pretends to be an expert​

#55 adoo, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think they are comparable. Been to orange county more than a few times.

17. myco

myco Contributing Member

Huge SMH at this thread.

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I tend to use chuck. Made the mistake of using select rib eye once that I found on sale. Cheapo chuck is better.

and to clarify, I think Houston has a wonderful scene for pretty much all Asian cuisines, and I feel blessed to live here. I just particularly like Thai and Vietnamese, and for Vietnamese, there are restaurants dotted across the US that I just prefer to anything I’ve found here. I mentioned both Orange County and bo kho.....bo kho is one of my favorite dishes (I prefer it with banh mi instead of the noodles). Whenever I find it in Houston, it seems to be a footnote on the menu whereas Orange County seems to have restaurants that specialize in it.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

There seems to be a very strange flex going on in here.....

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This thread is so stupid. You could eat authentic Chinese weeks in Houston and never eat at the same place twice.

the11mingdynasty likes this.