1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Harden have a chance to make an All-Defensive team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Nov 30, 2014.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Let me start by saying, this is not a joke. I'm pretty sure if someone told me this a month or so ago, I would still be laughing today. No way Harden would go from being a joke defensively to actually being a legitimate defensive playmaker, especially in one season. But, he has and it's just incredible looking at his improvement this season. And now, I have to ask the question of do you think Harden can make an All-Defensive team?

Stat-wise, he is there so far. Aside from Davis, who will run away with DPoTY, Harden is second in the league when you add rebounds, blocks and steals together. He has averages of 1.9spg and 1.1bpg and leads the league in defensive win shares.

Watching him play confirms his legitimacy as well. This whole season, he is making the plays defensively and more so at key moments. From timely blocks, steals or rebounds to playing outstanding defense on players like Dirk and Monta in close games, Harden has done it all defensively. I daresay, at times, he has carried our defense with Howard out.

Most importantly, the narrative around him seems to be changing around the league. People are starting to notice that he is playing defense and playing it exceptionally well. Respected people like Doc Rivers giving Harden praise will carry weight in the media. The Buck's broadcast team absolutely raved about Harden's defense tonight. All it takes is some talk for the whole narrative of "Harden plays no D" to totally shift to "Wow, Harden is a great defensive player!" And when the narrative changes, anything can happen..

I'm not saying that Harden has transformed into a defensive stopper or a threat to win DPoTY. He still has his moments of ball watching or general laziness that people cough Bleacher Report cough love to point out. And I'm not saying he is worthy of 1st Team All-Defense. I'm pretty sure the world will explode if Harden gets that type of recognition, but if he keeps up the intensity and stats, 2nd team All-Defense should not be out of the question.

Just being able to ask this question and have real reasons to support this question is just unbelievable to fathom. Credit to Harden for keeping his word. I'm sure most of us believed Harden would take a step in the right direction defensively this season but he has shattered expectations. The fact that he is doing this while shouldering practically all offensive responsibility, without much help with the injuries and lack of depth, is truly something to behold.

We are watching greatness being realized right now, enjoy it! :)

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

look at hardens last 5 games... 29 6 and 6 with 1.4 blk and 2.6 stls to go with 44/44/91 shooting. If he can keep this up he's the best player in the NBA. Ya I'm talking to you lebron and KD. The beard is coming for the crown his game is legit now it's time to bring it in the playoffs and show the world you are the best player in the world.

3. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

you can argue he is playing good enough D to warrant an All-Defensive team. I don't see him getting enough actual votes though. People are still pushing the "Harden is a bad defender" narrative and lets be honest, most NBA fans are not watching Rockets games unless we're playing their team. It's a shame how making vines on individual bad plays can hurt someone's reputation by misleading those who rely on highlights.

4. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Also just want to point out how refreshing it is to see Harden change not just as a defender but as a teammate as well. Love seeing him crack a smile every once in a while and act like a leader. The Team USA experience rly did change him.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The media narrative against Harden's defense has grown too strong for him to even sniff an All Defensive team, but he looks great. Not sure he's playing that good of defense, but it's an amazing turnaround from last year, especially when he also has to basically carry the team's offense as well.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agreed that the narrative is too heavily slanted against him for him to actually get voted but can we push the most improved player award? Maybe not all-nba defense, but considering how bad he was last year it's a HUGE jump.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

No thank you.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yep, playing with Team USA was the best off-season ever for him and our team.

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

He did getA vote in defensive player of the year last year in it so he's a chance

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol he can make it because All Defense team is usually for star players who benefit from great team defense any ways.

In that way he benefits. Honestly , all defense I don't even care about. It's based all on reputation and bias pretty much.

11. NotChandlerParsons

See: Kobe Bryant, 9x all defensive first team, 3x all defensive second team. towards the end of that he was totally checked out on defense.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep.

From now until Anthony Davis retires he'll make all defensive team. No matter what it'll be assumed that he's playing great defense because there isn't any stat to even suggest otherwise and the people that vote don't really watch any ways.

Once Harden gets the reputation he's a defender, he'll pretty much always have that rep. It's easier to have a bad reputation and gain it than the opposite at least.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Last year was the first year voting was conducted by the media as opposed to coaches. Unfortunately the majority of the talking heads have no idea of what kind of a leap Harden has made and will go by his previous reputation. Lebron keeps making it based upon reputation alone.

14. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

YES. He has a chance!

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Harden could be DPOY caliber and still not get an honerable mention. Defensive teams are a damn joke...especially when you had Kobe over guys like Shane consistently. They are just a stupid popularity contest that shouldn't be used as a metric.

16. Ghost_of_Akeem

He doesn't have a chance because nobody from the media watches our games.

More to the point though, he won't have a chance because he doesn't guard the opposing team's best player. The day we start putting Harden on Curry and Harden holds him to under 20 pts is the day he starts getting recognition.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

While that should matter, it rarely ever does

18. Ghost_of_Akeem

It doesn't matter if you play in a big market. The media has worked Harden over so badly as being a terrible defender that he will literally have to start guarding the opposing teams best player and locking them down to get any sort of recognition.

19. baubo

baubo Member

The person who actually should get All-D honors is Ariza. He is the true defensive force on the team. One of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA. Think about how many times some random mediocre wing player just goes off against us last year vs. this year. Ariza deserves much of that credti.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Idk but Harden is balling, because of his rep I don't think he will ever get mentioned for his defense, or at least not for a while. He can be MVP though, once he fixes his FG% and cuts his turnovers down (hopefully) he will start to make some major noise around the nba.

He has to do those 2 things though or he simply won't get respect, nothing right about a MVP candidate shooting 39% and turning it over 4+ times a game.