1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does God Play A Role in Sports?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 31, 2013.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

Just because the government of a country doesn't believe in God or allow worship doesn't mean the individual doesn't. My wife was born in the soviet union and when she was born her family snuck her into a secret church where they did something similar to getting baptized by the russian orthodox church. They would have been in big trouble had they got caught. This type of thing went on then and I'm sure it's going on now in China and North Korea.

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

God is the worst bandwagon fan in the universe.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Dear God,

Please rain hellfire and brimstone down upon the Ravens on Sunday and bless the Niners with your everlasting mercy and grace.

Amen

4. bongman

bongman Member

Just like anything, there are exemptions. Generally speaking, they are viewed as non religious. Now, if we have data that shows that only religious folks from those countries won, then that refutes my claim.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But the most successful sports better of all time!

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not religious. But, the way I read the Bible I'd say of course God plays a role in the outcome of sporting events because he plays a role in everything -- if he existed. Omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and all that. Not one sparrow will fall without the Father and the hairs on your head are numbered. You live on the proactive breath of God. It's saying God has a hand in all things. If you believe in the Bible, I think it's hard to justify the position that God doesn't care about the winners and losers of games -- and not just the Superbowl, but every game of Monopoly too.

I find it more problematic to think that the team with more Christians or more prayers or whatever would win. By that logic, Jesus' disciples probably wouldn't have all been stoned, crucified, or burned to death. Even if God works things for the best for those who love Him, that doesn't mean they'll have any health or wealth or success. It doesn't look to me like that is what the Bible teaches, and I don't think it's borne out in real-life either. It makes me shake my head that this health-and-wealth attitude got a higher percentage than predestined Superbowl victors.

Having said all that, I vote no.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyway every knows Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gndH9mhHPk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

"Yes, about SamFisher and KingCheetah you speak. Mmmm. Dark they are."

1 person likes this.
  9. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I haven't read the thread yet but I always loved Bll Maher's standup routine from a decade ago when he said:

So hilarious and true. It's a like a beauty pageant. Many of the contestants are praying they win, so how does that work? Does the best person out of all of them win? Same thing with sports, otherwise serious apparent a-holes like Vernon Maxwell would never win titles (yes we love that he helped win a title but it's pretty apparent) while Yao would have led a dynasty.

10. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Rep'd, absolutely. We need to destroy Reliant Park, no team that's ever played there has ever won a title outside a two year stretch and even the Comets folded shortly after arriving.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'mma have to agree with Foster's point of view.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/12/diverse-religious-and-spiritual-beliefs-coexist-in-the-texans-locker-room/

12. dback816

dback816 Member

So...has God done both? Because I don't think the whole starvation thing is being solved.

13. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I agree with Arian except that for the fact that African kid is still blessed though obviously it can be argued not as much as any of us here.

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

mental strength, possibly yes. And by strong mental strength, maybe activation of your body and release of adrenaline that increases performance?

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Maybe God has a favorite sport. I'm guessing baseball because of the whole God Bless America seventh innning stretch.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sporting events are often the most stressful or emotionally charged things middle-class Americans deal with that they can't control.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think it's war and natural disasters, he's basically playing with house money.

19. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

^

Yeah, because life has to be fair.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I consider myself religious, and I believe the answer is no.