1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Buying a Ticket to a Sporting Event Entitle a Fan To Behave Like a Dick?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, Feb 9, 2014.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Inspired by the Marcus Smart incident. According to our old friend, John Lucas III:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I just saw the video that same fan was at the games talking crazy even when I was in school I don't forget a face he says a lot of crazy ish</p>&mdash; John Lucas III (@Luke1luk) <a href="https://twitter.com/Luke1luk/statuses/432390294806343681">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now I'm not talking about standing up and being loud. I mean racial slurs, insulting a player's family, bringing up a traumatic event from a player's past (e.g., the guy in Portland heckling Max, someone mocking the Paul Pierce stabbing incident, ASU fans chanting references to Steve Kerr's father being assassinated, etc.), basically behavior that would be considered abhorrent/unacceptable in any other setting.

Obviously I wouldn't condone a player pulling an Artest or doing what Smart did, but IMO personal insults (as opposed to mocking a player's performance) should generally be avoided by fans, within reason. I personally wouldn't say something to a player that I wouldn't say to one of my friends if I were busting his balls.

On the other hand, I know there are some people who believe that as long as a fan isn't physically disrupting action on the court/field, they should be able to do or say whatever they want.

Where do you think the line should be drawn? And what consequences (if any) should there be if someone crosses it?

#1 dharocks, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

My friends and I can get pretty degenerate when busting each others balls, so that wouldn't work here... but for this particular situation (a stranger) I would draw the line at family/racism. The fan should be immediately ejected and perma-banned from the arena.

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Nah, there's def a line not to cross. Most of us with common sense should know that.

4. what

what Member

You mean being a good ole boy?

This is Texas man. Texas.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think the worse thing I've said in an arena was something along the lines of "you suck.. aaaahahahahah!"

6. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

There's definitely a line that should never be crossed. Fans and players are both real people. Booing the opposing team and giving your team a homecourt advantage is encouraged and completely fine, but heckling opposing players on a personal level is stupid and immature.

Although there's also no excuse for what smart or artest did.

7. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

The fans must be the NBA's and NCAA's #1 priority. Remember, it's the fans watching on tv, buying tickets, and buying merchandise that makes the players' livelihoods possible. Without their money, this game would be extremely unlikely to involve Marcus Smart.

8. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

I think normal trash talking is fine, as that's part of the game, but bringing in ones family/race is crossing the line.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I would imagine using racial slurs would be extremely unwise... this isn't the 1940's where all the spectators are of one race. You'd probably get a good beating if you openly use racist words.

10. dragician

dragician Member

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Funny you mention that; I've always speculated that one of the reasons Utah fans have a reputation for being particularly nasty is the relative racial and cultural homogeneity of the home crowd.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Marcus smart sure is getting paid a ton of money.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I yelled that Steve Nash should go back to Africa.

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I mocked Marco bellinelli in a terrible Italian accent once

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno . . . but evidently being a dick is a good enough reason to shoot someone.

Rocket River

16. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I yelled that Matt Bonner had no soul while he was attempting a FT.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I would buy into this; however, the people I know in SLC and those who have been to games there (vs. Rockets, GSW, and others) have never experienced or heard anything racial. It's a mixed group of minority friends too. It's a terribly small sample size, but I think Jazz fans are just annoying a-holes, not generally racist.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Have others confirmed the slur that was allegedly said? because it would be pretty easy for Smart to blame his eruption on that...

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Hate to group people by a region, but west Texas is the scum of the earth.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you feel entitled to being a dick in a public place, you should be aware that someone else might also feel entitled to clean your clock.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vRWpQ0rOPeI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#20 Xerobull, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.