1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone have a clip of that technical on Dwight?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Patterned919, Mar 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Take a closer look at that gif, Beverly's first delay of game warning was legit. He grabbed the ball from Chalmers' reach and threw it to the ref. It looks like it speeds up the game but you can make an argument that Chalmers would've thrown gotten it inbounds quicker than the time it takes for the ref to catch, then find the right Heat player to inbound the ball, and then inbounding the ball itself.

Like another poster said, refs are tired of being subjective about what costs too much time and what doesn't, so ANY intentional touching of the ball is delay of game.

The ONLY time you can touch the ball after it goes through the basket is if it's unintentional like if it hits Dwight in the shoulder or back after a 3 point swish. I can find a few times where the call was NOT made after a player seemingly intentionally touched the ball but honestly it happens to be called WAY more than otherwise.

Check out this play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=970Z_i9fAlY

Tell me that's not 10x worse than what Dwight did. Refs have been coming down on players all season in late game situations. But a team like the Bulls don't stop playing in your face gritty defense just because of a rough call. So what happened after that "BS call"? It just fueled Chicago's defense and they went on to win by around 10 point.

That's Houston's problem right now. Too young, not seasoned enough, no toughness, no grit, no mental fortitude. Dwight is twice the athlete Noah is but why are you smiling and laughing in blowouts? He has about 1/10th Noah's heart, IF THAT. Yao was a nice guy too but he never laughed when his team was getting hammered. Harden is at least twice as strong and as fast as Jimmy Butler, yet is 1/10th the defender.

Beverly can't hit the side of a barn, but at least he's got heart. I'm glad he fouled LeBron hard after Lin got him on the arm late in the game. We need more of that toughness, but not just from our role players!

It's frustrating to me because all the potential is there with this team, just no toughness to speak of.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The Heat did this a few times and got away with it everytime.

3. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

If the rule states that it's a tech then it is what it is. What I want to know is why they don't apply this rule in every single game every single time?

4. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I'm glad JVG pointed out that it kinda violates the spirit of the rule. If you touch it in a way that expedites the game, how can it be a delay of game?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Inconsistent refs.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The refs have their hidden agendas.

7. King901

King901 Member

All im sayin is we got screwed over like rich dude in the notebook lol

8. biojayc

biojayc Member

Its all in the purpose of the rule. If its so that the office naive team can grab the ball and get it inbounds quickly if they want then allowing the defensive team to touch it gives them the ability to stop a fast break that way. It would be totally fine and understandable if called consistently. My issue isn't with the rule but with the consistency of calling it.

9. jms99

jms99 Member

Exactly. Rules are Rules. Except in the last few minutes depending on the ref. the last 3 minutes for some refs, and the last 1 minute for other refs but generally between 1 minute and 5 minutes left in the game, I do NOT think rules are rules. The rules change. Especially for light fouls and stepping into the paint on a free throw. I think if someone is just standing inside the middle of the paint on a free throw shot, right below the basket, then it should NOT be called. It ruins the purity of the game.

But I agree that rules are rules no matter what.

10. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

We got screwed over.
    Moving on.

11. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

The rule has been in place all year and has been enforced all year long. Beverly just got called for the same thing earlier in the game so Howard has to be smarter and realize you JUST CANT TOUCH THE BALL! It is as simple as that. The refs cant be subjective on which player speeds up the game and which one actually delayed it. They have made it very clear that if you touch the ball intentionally after a score you will be called for a delay of game and then a technical the second time you do it. SO JUST LEARN THE RULE!

12. val_modus

val_modus Member

3 seconds in the paint for Dwight twice, LeBron blatantly holding Lin around a screen, delay of game call twice that I haven't seen all season, phantom technical, LeBron free arm shoving Lin on a drive.... All towards the last few minutes of the game. Hmmmm, 6 point spread in Vegas on this game, the 3 instances in bold where the Heat were awarded free throws all occurred in the waning minutes of the game, Rockets lose by 9 instead of 6. NBA MAKES MONEY ;)

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Touch = delay.

Next time when you want to touch your gf, tell her, "Honey, I want to delay you." :grin:

14. calcium

calcium Member

Good grief.

That looks v v v v petty.

In my opinion, he is doing the reverse, ie speeding the game up.

But on the flip side, Dwight should know better than to touch the ball.

15. KevinG1015

KevinG1015 Member

You clearly don't watch basketball very often. The refs DID NOT let the first one go... they gave him a delay of game warning. 2 delay of games = a technical. The second one by Dwight led to the technical.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Although it was the correct call, I thought it was lame to be enforcing that rule late in the game. I've watched so many close games throughout my lifetime and those type of calls are rarely made. It wasn't the overall factor that decided the game, but it does kind of kill the players spirits when they probably feel the refs are against them.

17. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

any one have a clip of Beverley's T on LeBron?

18. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

I think it's there as a scapegoat rule that allows refs to give T FTs whenever they want, because everyone does it now and they usually let it slide because it's habit.

19. joesr

joesr Member

Because it is a rule? The 2nd ball tap is a technical so in other words, DONT TOUCH THE DAMN BALL.

Coaches get mad at the players but the fans get mad at the refs.....yeah that makes sense.

20. joesr

joesr Member

The rule was made for players who hit the ball away but to make it easier with no exception they make it simple. Don't touch the ball. It takes two to give a technical so one warning and two times its the players fault. Its freaking simple.