1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Anyone Else Get Horrible Oiler Flashbacks?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 24, 2012.

1. conquistador#11

no. but you guys make me freaking nervous!
    i was just getting into football when frank reichenstein happened then montana happened, then bud adams happened. it was just awful. Don't make me freaking nervous!! ahh. i need a crazy pill.

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After a 1-4 start, they won 11 in a row to win the division, the number 2 seed, and a first round bye before losing to the Chiefs at home.

When they were 1-4, the only team they beat was the Chiefs; sigh. Darn Keith Cash TD (and subsequent bullet to the Buddy Ryan end zone poster) and Willie Davis TD while being blanketed by the Dishman. I guess that is the magic of Montana.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Exactly how I feel when I come to this forum. I get all hyped before the game and then read the posts and get ****ing paranoid. Houston fans are freaks.

4. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Houston sports teams in major pro and colleg sports have a tendency to do that. For me, especially given how they've played recently, a trip to the AFC title game will do for now. anything short will be a major disappointment in a long line of them.

That's why I LOL at the idea that we shouldn't give more praise to the teams and players that have won in minor sports like the Comets and Dynamo. Yeah, most don't care and you can't go bragging to the average person about doing well in either sport but at least they came through in big spots. Only the Rockets pre-1998 didn't tease us like most major Houston sports teams.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Definitely not an Oilers thing. Definitely a Houston thing.

6. Damion Laverne

Missed Kris Brown FG

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

F that S. What about all those sacks our line gave up? I think still an NFL record. :( I cried that day.

#)*&^ THAT S. This Texans team isn't the old OILERS. That team is in Tennessee now and I hate their a$$. :mad:

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you, SwoLy! I just hope that this team continues to do special things and can continue this ride for as long as possible. Even though I don't live in Houston anymore, the love affair between the city and this team is something I've waited a long time to see! In a weird way, it makes me feel better about the growing pains of the Casserly/Capers/Carr years.

One thing I do wish is that we somehow had that Oilers offensive line (Matthews/Munchak/Hopkins) to supplement our three-some of Myers/Smith/Brown.

A win today can be very cathartic for Houston football fans.

Go Texans!!

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup. I will be shocked if they win today.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

They were #2. Both the Oilers and Bills had 12-4 records but Buffalo had won the head to heat matchup in the regular season so they got the #1 seed. Oilers started that season 1-4 and after the loss to Buffalo in week 5, they won 11 in a row before losing to KC.

EDIT: Oops. I replied to a post from the previous page and didn't realize desihooper had said the same thing.

11. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

We're like abused dogs or something -- we want the love SO BAD, but we're skittish as HELL...

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Really don't want to start drinking before 1, better not disappoint.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good point except that the Astros have been so bad that I don't get nervous about them anymore.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm feeling an Oilers' flashback coming on..

15. Poloshirtbandit

Pretty sure they were #2. I don't think the Oilers were ever a #1 seed.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I was totally going to post exactly what Judoka is saying. I'm not invested much in the Texans. The Oilers leaving killed Houston football for me, and I always rooted for the pack more anyway. But goddam it's frikken hilarious to see Houston football re-incarnate so perfectly.

Even when you're good - you choke it away.

lol - like that. With weak-ass tackles and then giving up while the colt reciever goes for blood.

EDIT: Max is accurate. I'm seasoned to expect dissapointment. It's what I expect. It's kinda funny for me now. My mom was all pissed during the patriots game and I was laughing. It was even funnier because then SanFran came on next week and did EVERYTHING houston should have (and could have) done.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My vision is full of Columbia Blue...

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

All you can do is laugh. This is Houston sports. Strange phenomenon.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

For those who remeber the Bills debacle, we played them the week before and crushed them.

Maybe this will be vindication, we get beat by the Colts and play them next week and beat them in route to the Super Bowl?

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was totally ready for this. Was not ready to see my 12 year old with tears in his eyes after. Watching him react to this reminds me of me at 12 watching Astros lose in 16th inning. He's sitting next to me bashing Houston sports as I write this. Says watching Houston sports is like watching reruns. He's correct. Sorry, kid...