1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anybody understand Cricket?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamFisher, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Thats a mighty big predicition, definately wouldn't pick the Pakis. The 2007 World Cup will probably be Glenn McGrath's (Australian fast bowler with the most test wickets) swansong, and Warne doesn't play one-dayers anymore. You are right though the Aussies will be getting old, unless they start to play some of their younger guys in the next 12-18 months. Players like Dom Thornley (all rounder- can bat and bowl), Shaun Tait (fast bowler), Micahel Clarke (batsman - already in the side), there's a wicket keeper that plays for Western Australia whose name I can't recall - who plays in a similar way to Gilchrist (good keeper and a bit of a slogger), Daniel Cullen, Cameron White, Shane Watson (even though I'm not a big fan of his) among others. However by the World Cup we will still have players like Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist, McGrath and Lee still playing which will always give you a chance.

I don't know too much about the Pakistan side, haven't seen them play for a while, but given how England have been playing lately I will go out on a limb and say it come down to an England Australia final, Australia will win.

We don't have that much time ;)

But to sum it up - he is the worlds greatest leg spinner, ever, and a real ladies man off the field

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

The two sports that I never understand is: cricket and rugby, thes are very complicated.

3. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

I assume you are referring to Rugby Union when you say "rugby", and I was the same when I first started watching it. But after seeing several matches live and even more on the TV, I am now understanding more and more of the game. There are still things I don't quite grasp yet, but I know alot more about the game than I did a few years ago.

(I can thank my wife for introducing me to Union, and she can thank me for introducing her to cricket.)

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

LOL!!!! :rolleyes:

Pakistan has one of the worst teams right now. They will get their asses kicked by India like they always have. Pakistan Murdabad! :rolleyes:

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I thought maybe you were trying to learn how to tell the insect outside of your window to stop chirping. :D

6. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Obviously coming from Perth, Australia growing up cricket was a major influence in my life and was lucky enough to represent the state at a juniour level before hurting my back. At the moment we are witnessing one of the great test series between Australia and England in England with Australia hanging on for an amazing draw last night with one wicket in hand. Basically England needed to get one more batsman out with 24 balls remaining (Both players batting were bowlers and not known as the best batsmen in the world) yet failed to do so resulting in the test being called a draw.

Australia has held the Ashes (Trophy between the 2 countries) for the last 20 years and with players in the Australian side coming to the end of their careers its a great oppurtunity for England to win the Ashes back on home soil. The currently Australian side has arguably 3 of the best players in history. Glen McGrath (fast bowler) has just taken his 500th wicket in this series to move to number 4 on the all time bowlers list. Shane Warne who bowls leg spin and many consider the best bowler in history is the only player to reach 600 wickets and is still going on just as strong and Adam Gilchrist who is arguably one of the best Wicket Keeper/Batsmen to ever play the game and through his agression has changed the way many teams around the world now select there teams. A wicketkeeper is a basic equivalent to a catcher in baseball.

I can see how observers from countries who didnt grow up with cricket think its weird to play 5 days of cricket to have no result but I can assure you for a cricket lover the final day of the last test match was one of the best I have ever seen.

7. dockerland

Luke Ronchi

8. Christopher

Christopher Member

If you want to learn about Rugby go here: http://www.nrl.com/

One thing I was thinking about last night, how you would explain the achievement of Sir Donald Bradmans 99.94 Test average to a U.S. sports fan that has no idea about Cricket?

How would you rate it as a sporting achievement that they would know more about?

Would it be like hitting over .400 in baseball for your entire career?
    Would it be like scoring 50 points per game over an NBA career?
    Would it be like rushing for 1,999 yards per season in an NFL career?

9. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

There's no indication that Nolan Ryan would have been a good bowler. In cricket, you get a run up and you have to throw it with a straight arm - you can't **** your elbow. The ball is a little larger, harder, and heavier. Finally, you are allowed (expected?) to bounce the ball off the ground before it gets to the wicket.

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

I know that alot of Cricket players are tend to be very good at baseball. In my experience they are also very good at golf.

I dont think there is ANY similarity between pitching in baseball and bowling though. They both release a ball towards a batter...thats it. The mechanics are completely different.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Gaandoo, last time I saw India and Pakistan play was last summer and Pakistan won by like 60 runs. India is getting old and Pakistan is up and coming. Give it up.

12. dockerland

You also have to take into account that Bradman played on pitches that were not protected from the weather and without a helmet which makes the achievement even more amazing.

13. don grahamleone

It's kind of like being in the top 5 in scoring(NBA) at the end of each season for your whole career.

14. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

About 6 years ago, I was in the first class lounge at the airport in Dubai at 1:00 a.m. waiting on a flight. There was a game of cricket on the TV and I made a joke about it to my boss and we both laughed out loud. There was a prissy British lady who heard us, took offense and made a smart aleck remark to us. Britain was playing India or Pakistan.

When it comes to sports, I'm just your typical ignorant American who doesn't know or care much about what happens beyond our borders. One exception: I did enjoy watching a darts match one time while on London. Half of the fun for me was the how rowdy and excitable the crowd was. I'll never forget it.

15. dockerland

Top 5 or the top?

To basically come close to doubling everyone elses average in history is something that will never be broken.

16. Christopher

Christopher Member

The difficult thing I find with finding a comparision is that......Bradman in many cases does double the average of the VERY BEST players of all time.

At the same time....you have to factor in thats scoring a 50 and a hundred is seen as an achievement in itself.

A good point was made about the conditions he played in too.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Abe chutya give it a rest. Pakistan won that one freakin series. You do know what happened in the series before that right? India was kicking their ass so bad your country's so called hard core fans did not even show up for the game in Paki.

Pakistan has no one that can match up to the likes of:

Tendulkar
    Sehwag
    Ganguly
    Dravid
    Yuvraj
    Lakshman

Irfan Pathan
    Harbajan Singh
    Ashish Nehra
    Balaji
    Irfan Pathan

The second group is just bowlers and all of them are in their twenties. Old my freakin ass.

The first group is full of batters and they are considered by many to be right on par with the Aussies.

WTF does Paki have? That fat ass you guys have for a captain needs to retire.

First beat us in something that actually counts. You guys are 0-4against us in the World Cup! :rolleyes:

18. don grahamleone

You have a lot more leverage to use here. This is obvious. But, the LG ICC ODI Championship Table: http://www.icc-cricket.com/odi/ says otherwise. So, tell me something. I don't know the up coming World Cup brackets, but I hope Pakistan and India are in the same grouping. I'd love to see the guys in green walk away victorious over the baby blue Indians.

Also, I'm not Pakistani... I was born and raised here. My best friend is Pakistani and I love cheering for Pakistan. I learned the game when I was there two times, once in 2000 and again in 2004.

I must admit that I like Tendulkar a lot. I wish he was a Pakistani. You can keep Kumble and his ten out day. That guy has the personality of a pubic hair or of Shoaib if you catch my drift. In a one time deal we can make a trade, Tendulkar for Shoaib. What do you think?

Pakistan Zindabad. India Murdabad(but only in cricket). I could care less about these stupid political battles.

19. don grahamleone

He is the Lance Berkman of cricket. Be kind.

20. Beenz

Beenz Contributing Member

watch the movie "Lagaan" you'll be able to pick it up, the cricket explaining is done by a British woman