1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anybody here know what exactly the problem with Dwight's knee is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Dwight had a bone bruise. Rox denied bone on bone speculation, although it took them longer than it should have to do so.

The reason why sitting him in back to backs is smart, is because injury risk significantly increases with fatigue. They're taking the GS approach.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he can't go every night, we can't pay him the max.

DD

3. bmd

bmd Member

So sitting him on back-to-backs has nothing to do with his knee?

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

He's big as **** with a disproportioned body (his legs are tiny compared to his shoulders) and has engaged in extremely strenuous athletics for nearly 30 years.

That's what's wrong with his knee.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think it's safe to assume so.....I dont remember any reports of Dwight having any setback against GS or after the series ended. Based on what the team and doctor said, he was cleared, when he came back at the end of the season. I can't think of any other reason why McHale would say that.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I thought the whole reason he sat last season for back to backs was because his knee would get sore the next day and it needed rest.

And I thought I remember hearing that it was a problem that Dwight would have to deal with for the rest of his career.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Paging okieeze to lay down the law. Did y'all not listen before?

Dwight's knee is fine. It's precautionary. We also don't know how many b2b they were talking about missing either. The chron reported "No lingering issues". Can we put the irresponsible speculation of a doomsday knee problem to rest now?

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I like this thread. I had a totally different understanding of Dwight's injury, and I feel better about it now.

9. bmd

bmd Member

If he is completely 100% healthy... then what is there to be precautionary about? Why would he not play like every other player... and maybe get some nights off like Tim Duncan?

10. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's the medical reason for Duncan and other Spurs to miss so many regular season games?

I think Dwight has the same issues.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Tim Duncan is about 6 months away from being 40 years old.

Dwight Howard is still in his 20's.

And even Tim Duncan doesn't sit out back-to-backs. He only missed 5 games this past season. He played 77 of the 82 games.

1 person likes this.
  12. baubo

baubo Member

I’m not a doctor, but I’ve read a lot of comments from doctors or people who know enough about medicine here. From what I gather, just because you’re healthy doesn’t mean you’re not more prone to a re-injury than normal player. Also, the more you play, the more likely you are to sustain an injury (see Yao Ming). So Dwight can be absolutely healthy and the Rockets still sit him at times, because the chance of him reinjuring himself is high. Therefore any precautions to lower that chance would benefit the team.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, this is at risk of starting to become a Tmac-like situation with the knee.

Which is a shame because he absolutely would be worth a max extension if healthy, he adds so much to this team.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I heard that last part from the tv guys, I believe..but I took it to mean he'd have to deal with getting kneed for the rest of his career, so the risk will always be there, of another bruise.

The point of sitting him last season was to increase his workload little by little. You don't want to put his knee through back to backs until he's shown he can handle single games for a while. I would think he's past that by now.

Perhaps they're still worried about small remnants of the injury blowing up again, if they push him too frequently. I believe some bone bruises can take like a year to heal completely. Technically, a year for him would be next Feb/March. I would still say that's them being overly careful and not that he's still feeling discomfort.

15. Nook

Nook Member

He is almost 30. He has been an NBA player since he was 18 years old. There is a lot of mileage on his body. He depends on athleticism and not his size or skill. The Rockets have depth inside. I have no issues with restricting his work load.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The bigger picture is the playoffs and Im fine with him resting on back to backs. The silver lining is that this gives Capela plenty of time to learn and get work in while Dwight sits. Im definitely okay with that.

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I think the medical term for what happened to his knee is that a tampon got stuck in it.

I kid, I kid, I love Dwight.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it must be related to his back issue and the poor muscular balance/distribution he had when he came here plus the horrible nutrition.

He looks lighter in the upper body and stronger in the lower body these days which is a good thing. It will reduce his athleticism but it will also be much better for longevity and preventing injury.

I'm still hopeful that all the fuss is about prolonging his career. If we believe, for example, that Dwight was promised that he'd be re-signed when he opts out, then it all makes sense. We were thinking in a 2 year window while the Rockets may be thinking in a 6 year window.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think it's just been assumed since he did that late last season. Plus with the elimination of 4 games in 5 nights this year, he could conceivably play around 60-61 games(factoring in the opening night suspension) if he sat out B2Bs.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him sit some nights if the opponent sucks and if Capela continues to impress. The Rockets' winning percentage was almost as good without Dwight last season as it was with him.

20. OpenLayup-Why3?

I think you can all agree that cautious or not at full strength Dwight is a disaster? Probably you can't, because I brought this up last season and everyone disagreed, but Dwight indeed looked terrible when he returned after his first injury. He had no lift at all.