1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Dodged a frickin BULLETT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Right, and if this was the Rockets team of 12 months ago, I would agree with.

However this Rockets team doesn't need meaningless wins added by Oladipo. Especially if the Rockets plan on playing Porter and Martin at some point.

jiggyfly, saleem, clos4life and 6 others like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Should have signed him, he will continue our losing effort into next year where our pick isn't owned by OKC past top 4

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans existentialism. I might have to adopt this as my sig for the next 5 years.

BigShasta, saleem, Deckard and 8 others like this.
  4. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

This exactly. A team will give up more to us to get him with a signed 2 year contract which in reality is like an insurance policy. They would then have a year to see how well he fits in and another year to then trade him if not. If he performs well, they can extend him. That alone gives incentive to a player to perform well for their new team. The way it is now he is an expiring that could walk from their team after the year should they trade for him. The other benefit to the 2 year contract is they would not be tied up to him long term (4 years which he will certainly be seeking) should he get injured again. For a player like Oladipo this would be huge. In free agency the last thing a team wants is other teams driving his price up, so it's not true they get a better deal by just waiting for him to "come for free". Having him sign a 2 year contract would have been a big win here, with limited top name free agents available he is certainly an asset.

nalgas05 likes this.
  5. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah this makes sense. I'm not a contracts expert, but him agreeing to ~45m over 2 years would have been a surprise right? He's already making 21m a year, and he's only going to ask for more at this stage of his career.

I guess from Oladipo's perspective, he's betting on himself to turn it around after the all star break and get a bigger offer in a weak FA market.

For the Rockets, is letting him walk and getting the contract off the books the most likely scenario now? I guess they could always up the offer, do a sign and trade, or another team needs his expiring to facilitate a trade. Not sure about the nuances of some of these options.

6. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Right now that was the most the Rockets could offer. Once free agency starts we are eligible to offer as high as 151 mil over 4 years or 195 over 5 years. Other teams could offer as high as 4 yrs 145 million. It is possible the desire was there simply to clear the books of salary if we couldn't get a good trade return since Lavert was under team control until 2023 and that was our option to keep.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hard to believe we made him an offer and may make another in the future.

8. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

At this point I would like the Rockets to see if they can get a draft pick out of a trade and bring back decent young player that can fill a position. John Collins come to mind as a possible trade that could fill a need at SF or PF. He’s an expiring contract so I’m sure the Hawks would like to get a decent player in return.

If a trade can’t be facilitated then I’d just assume let him walk so tue Rockets can use that cab space to sign a quality free agent during the off-season. Oladipo hasn’t proven to be anything close to a player that deserves max money. In fact, I would say he makes Eric Gordon’s contract look good.

9. s3ts

s3ts Member

Dipo is the worst. If he signs anything to stay here for any longer than his current contract, I'm gonna stop watching the games.

clos4life and D-rock like this.
  10. Mr. Space City

Offering anything other than a plane ticket to Miami has me looking at Stone a little funny.

clos4life, Mr Woods, s3ts and 2 others like this.
  11. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

12. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lmao WTF? Only Tilman and Stone

D-rock, Mr Woods and HP3 like this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What does that even mean?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Praying this is a wink wink deal just to do a solid for Dipo's trade value / contract value and to make the FO look like they're willing to pay out big money.

D-rock likes this.
  15. s3ts

s3ts Member

My guess is Stone/Tillman want a cheaper player who still plays like Harden so they can still keep making money on merchandising for the shitty seasons.

Also, Dipo never wanted to be here.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why is Easterby making offers for the Rockets?

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Too true. I may have to dust off my copy of The Stranger. @DreamShook's post was inspiring.

Will likes this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well said.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It says the offer was the maximum that the Rockets could have offered him. You're right, he needs to be moved by March 25th at all cost even if it's for the 60th pick in the worst draft of all times. Is there any team that can absorb his 21 M expiring contract? @BimaThug

D-rock likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perhaps he would be easier to move if locked in on a semi-friendly contract. It might be an oversight to assume we made that offer in order to keep him.