1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doc Rocket speaks again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jun 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TheresTheDagger

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source close to <a href="https://twitter.com/kevinlove">@kevinlove</a> says talk of L.A. as preferred landing spot was always way overblown. Only lived there 1 year. Wants to win.</p>&mdash; Chris Sheridan (@sheridanhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/statuses/479719771944939520">June 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I can't either, parsons isn't restricted yet though, I do not see this trade having any legs I just saw it and decided to share. Would be interesting if something with Gsw happens. I've said it before but I'd watch philly and New Orleans these next few weeks, I think those are the tickets to a 3 way deal,

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Only one reason i could think of doing it, David Lee comes off the books at the same time a very close friend of James Harden becomes a free agent, not a bad basketballer either...

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yep, it's terrible. This won't help us in acquiring Love either.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Ahhhhhhh I know something big is in the works, but I can't figure out what.

Melo... hasn't won one yet but he's incredible and should win one at some point.

Lebron has proved he doesn't care about who he plays for. He wants to win.

Love is the perfect fit and he knows it.

I can see each of the potential free agent points of view, but that means little when the individual mind decides this. We have so many tickets purchased for the championship lottery, but individual mindset will make or break this offseason.

6. basketballholic

I think Doc Rocket may be referring to the fact that if we trade for Love we can also trade for other players simultaneously because we have enough salary with the trade rules to take in more salary than just Love. Love makes roughly $15 million. Just Asik and Lin combined can be traded for over $21.7 million in incoming salary. So a trade for Love yields a whole boatload of further trade possibilities because of the extra salary that can be swallowed up with him.

In my opinion this factor along with Love's age make Love the clear #1 acquisition target over everybody besides LeBron. And I think that unless LeBron makes it clear to Morey before the draft that he is committed to coming here that Morey is going to go all in to try to get Love here and build out the team with bench players by using the salary leverage that a trade of Love gives him

7. basketballholic

By the way as we get closer to the draft and the sensationalism of all the trade rumors dissipates, we are getting down to reality regarding Love.

1. Love has leverage. Because he's got one year left and he's made it clear he's leaving Minny they have to trade him sooner rather than later.

2. He wants to win so he's not going to commit long term anywhere verbally that doesn't give him the chance to win next season.

3. He can only make a verbal commitment to staying even if he is traded to a team that is set up to contend.

4. Teams are exhausting the trade possibilities for him with most of them (Celtics, Bulls, Warriors) playing out in the media. And they are hitting the wall of "we can't get there from here".

6. There has been basically zero leaks from Morey regarding his trade offer(s) for Love. But he has leaked that "the Rockets don't think they have enough assets to acquire Love".

7. Minny has revealed over time what they want in a Love trade which is basically they want a clear path forward to competitiveness. That path comprises 3 things: talent already signed to longer term deals on value contacts that they can plug into their starting lineup, draft picks and a youngster or two to develop, future cap flexibility to either trade for or sign a top notch talent.

I have outlined for you previously how the Rockets are in a unique position to be able to give Minny all these things I listed above that these other teams just simply don't have the ability to do. The other teams may have more mediocre draft picks to throw at Minny or they may havea top talent to throw at Minny but none of them can really help Minny with a plan forward to competitiveness right now! But the Rockets can.

I think Morey has the deal on the table that represents a plan forward for Minny and Flip and I think all this talk and rumors had been about Flip trying to come up with something better.

Love is going to be traded on the cheap. ... probably 50 to 70 cents on the dollar. The trade won't be about draft picks or young assets. For Minny it will be about how they can compete for the playoffs this season and build out the team to compete for something even better next season and the season after that. Minny is not interested in tanking next season.

#347 basketballholic, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It looks like if we get LeBron, Ray Allen is coming with him.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm sorry, the coffee's worn off, so my cogitation is blurry; how do you figure this?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

He'll probably play for the vet minimum. For free essentially.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

13. acefan18

acefan18 Member

This. Also means we can sign him even if we are over the salary cap if I'm not mistaken. I've been telling my friends for the longest that if we somehow pull off Bron to Houston look for Ray Allen to accompany him helping to bolster our bench. Troy Daniels and Ray Allen? Hold up

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Allen would be a great mentor for Daniels. Allen can close out his career with another championship next year, and then we can resign Daniels to be our long-term sharp shooter.

15. acefan18

acefan18 Member

I don't know of a more perfect mentor for Daniels. If Allen can teach him the art of running off screens to get open 3's the Rockets bench could have a leader for a long time. I'm just overreacting to his performance in the playoffs though lol

16. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Great post, man I hope this is it.

17. TheresTheDagger

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>2 things: If <a href="https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard">@Chris_Broussard</a> says it, believe the EXACT oppo &amp; #2: nobody's moving Beard 2make room 4Melo &amp; LBJ! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBADraft?src=hash">#NBADraft</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedNation?src=hash">#RedNation</a></p>&mdash; Doc Rocket (@Thedocrocket) <a href="https://twitter.com/Thedocrocket/statuses/481567048363831296">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He says the #2 a lot in this post. He also uses the number 4 a lot in his posts. Maybe we are down to 2 players? Maybe Chris Bosh is one of them, he wore the #4 in Toronto.

19. bratna8

bratna8 Member

or 42.

20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

you are looking to far into it... clearly using them to fit inside twitters char restrictions