1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doc Rivers "We got robbed!"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ShutURBiG!, May 14, 2014.

1. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

My apologies if already posted.

All I could think about while hearing Doc rant is "Why didn't McHale do this after Freeland bear-hugged Dwight?"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fMGnTDi1Io0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If only McHale was this adamant. I love him as a person and a motivator but he doesn't step up when he needs to most. If we won Game 1 of the series, it could have been "series changing," just like Doc Rivers said.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zYHBXqSbMbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Moleb

Moleb Member

you know what... you do have a valid point.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Doc Rivers: "I should have coached."

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Doc - admits refs missed call on Reggie. But somehow we're supposed to care that LAC were the team that was robbed and not OKC like he wanted.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What did Doc's hissy fit get him? His team was completely flustered after that decision and they choked away the game. Doc will get a $25k fine and his team is in a tough hole to crawl out of. Maybe his players will carry Don't Tread on Me, Come and Take It (complete with a crudely drawn basketball), and Remember the Replay flags to Game 6 to bring home a great victory inspired by Doc's immature ranting. But, I think it's more likely that he didn't do anything to help the team and made his wallet a little lighter. He was lucky to not get T'ed up to give the Thunder some free throws to boot.

So, McHale should follow suit? I don't see the point.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The point he is making is fair, and it is that make-up calls should not be allowed. the referee's overstepped their bounds to make up for a mistake. I can't agree more. If the refs got it wrong the first time, getting it wrong the second time doesn't null the situation.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

"great teams don't play close games, they avoid them"

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He brought light to an issue we all ignore, and that's that referee's often over step the bounds. I don't know where in the rules books it says a bad call can be nulled by a make up one. Will it change anything? No, but it doesn't hurt to bring it to light.

9. scottie brooks

Hey Doc, We had at least like 3 "series defining calls"

Join the club bub.

10. JazzLakerHater

That's one of the dumbest quotes ever. STFU Morey!

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I understand his point. It just isn't one that will garner any sympathy from me. He wanted the Thunder to get screwed by the refs.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Game 4 (I think it was 4) - Steve Kerr had like a 4 minute dialogue about it as the refs were sending LAC players to the line. It isn't ignored.

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

That quote is horrible, such a logical fallacy. Great teams find a way to win close games, but to say great teams don't play in close games in ridiculous. No team is going to decisively win every game by a big margin no matter how great they are.

14. Nook

Nook Member

What a joke.

The Clippers were not "robbed", they failed to execute down the stretch and LOST.... just like the Thunder failed to execute at the end of game 4 and lost.

He is acting like the series is OVER, it isn't... the Clippers only need to win the next 2 games.

Whatever... Rivers is a solid coach, but this series, like the one against Memphis has been...... a coin flip.. two teams that both are very capable of winning the series.

15. FEAR THE BEARD

Now Doc knows how us Rockets fans feel. It was terrible seeing the clippers get robbed of that W last night.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll preamble by saying I don't agree it was a make-up call. But the thesis in the OP wasn't that Doc did no harm, but that McHale should have done what Doc did, presumably because Doc helped his team somehow. Whether he's right or wrong, he didn't help his team. I don't see why our coach should follow suit.

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't think Clippers got robbed. I think it's a fair call because if you want to be honest with yourself, that was clearly a foul and should have been called a foul. If the purpose of "instant replay" is to get the correct call...then that should have been reversed to a foul. They should change the rule next year and allow the refs to make the correct called and not just review whether the ball went out the bound and who touch the ball first, but to allow them to determine if it's a foul as well.

It's pointless for Doc to cry over a replay because his team Chris Paul is the reason they lost the game. He turnover the ball..making dumb foul while Westbrook is shooting 3. They shouldn't be put into the position of just relying on a single replay and cry about it. If you want to cry over a single replay under 2mins...i am absolutely certain that through out the entire game, there are many incorrect calls that nobody can do anything about it. My point is...it shouldn't be one call that determine the outcome of the game and so they shouldn't make a big deal about it.

18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Who says champions have to be 'Great teams'

Never under-estimate the heart of a champion.

19. Nook

Nook Member

So I guess the Clippers are not a "great team"?

For comparison (OT and games decided by 5 or less points in post season)
    Clippers 3-3 in games decided by 5 or less points this post season... The Heat are 1-0 this season in close games..... The Spurs are 2-2..... OKC 2-4.....Pacers 3-0...... Houston 1-3

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I hope they catch the crooks