1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you watch Foreign movies ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, Sep 13, 2012.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I have seen some East Asian movies, Indian, Mexican, Italian, Australian .

How about you?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm American. I only see American movies.

3. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I like foreign films. I'm not sure if it is because I have to pay more attention to follow along or if it's because my not understanding the language hides bad acting, but in general, I'm more likely to like foreign language films than US films.

4. gah

gah Member

I don't even watch British films. I don't watch movies that are more than 2 years old except for when I play black and white films to go to sleep.

5. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

U do realize that most of the stuff you wear is not made in the U.S.A, bro don't wear clothes. Let the ladies get a look at your sexy body :rolleyes:

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pretty sure he was kidding.

I watch foreign stuff quite a bit more often now. Maybe I'm getting old or something but American films seem to be incredibly formulaic and devoid of any originality. French and Korean films seem to be my favorites. Chinese films, ugh, lame.

7. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

mr bean for the win....no foreign movies are for guys who wear scarves and sip lattes give me some chuck norris,steven segal, van damme stuff any day of the week over that "notebook" wannabe stuff

1 person likes this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, I'm betting he's not kidding.

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I love foreign films, I will watch any movie from Brasil or Germany.
    Too many to name. One of my all time favorites is a French movie called
    Ridicule http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117477/

10. hairyme

hairyme Member

I wonder this point too... but then I'll see some Indian movie while flipping channels and quickly dismiss the notion!

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I like films from France, Germany and Sweden in more recent years. If you stick to their critically acclaimed films, you'll find some real treats.

12. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

The only category i look through on Netflix.

13. Dei

Dei Member

I watch p*rn of all races.

14. dmc89

dmc89 Member

No I don't. Foreign movies means less jobs for people here. Besides, I hate reading subtitles that aren't in American (I hate reading in general).

/s

The Lives of Others
    The Secrets in Their Eyes
    A Prophet
    The White Ribbon

15. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

I LOVE foreign flicks. That's a huge pool of the more innovative films that can be found now a days. People tend to push the boundaries more often over seas because there's no need to put up with the ridiculous restraints that the MPAA casts over the American industry.

16. Apps

Apps Member

I absolutely do. I found that there are a lot of neorealist movements around the world that produce some quite amazing pieces of film. It got to a point where I realized just how absurd it is that we Americans actually go to movies to see the same people acting over and over again. It became even more absurd to me that these jokers get paid millions of dollars just be in movies that are more often than not garbage...

Holding up some of the artistically defunct celeb-studded movies against some of those Italian/Iranian/French/Japanese/Indian neo-realist films was just an embarrassment. To see what other countries were doing with minimal resources in comparison to what Hollywood has been doing with "star actors" was just upsetting. Hollywood really is all about the glitter and gold. No substance.

17. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Some German movies, plus the French or Asian movies they show after midnight(not talkin about xxx movies, I mean these weird experimental movies or flicks that seem plain boring to the casual viewer but in my eyes have the most spirit and emotions of any film genre)

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm not American and I only watch American.

20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The last new AMERICAN film I saw was the Star Trek reboot a few years ago. I do watch a lot of American movies, but I stick to the old ones. One particular bad development is the highly formulaic "awkward middle-class white boy" movies. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't get why the world needs another movie with Michael Cera in it ;)

In my opinion, the most innovative work by Americans is being done on television. Even if we are talking Scorsese, I still like Boardwalk Empire more than Hugo.

Still, there are plenty of bad movies made everywhere. Most of the ones you guys promoted in the US are ones that have some kind of critical acclaim.

Mexico and Russia are key offenders. Both make tons of god awful low-budget action flicks.