1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want Mcgrady back on the team for the vet min?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Jul 23, 2011.

?

Do you want Mcgrady back on the Rockets for the vet min?

1. Yes he still got some game left.

245 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No let's avoid the McDrama

383 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. Not sure

36 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pippen was 10x more hated than McGrady, rightfully so.

But at the time, we didn't have McGrady's little army of smurf fans on the board.
    They tend to exaggerate his importance.

He's not this martyr and sympathetic figure that they claim him to be as well as when he was good, he was not this jordan like figure that they think he is.

the Pippen acquisition screwed the Rockets, we didn't get fair market back.
    he quit after one year of his huge contract and forced us to trade him.

McGrady followers would be hunted down like bison by Rockets fans if that had happened.

2. tinman

Supporting Member

I told you that the TOFs have a demented sense of reality.

Think about this thread, there's a better chance of Brett Favre signing with an NFL team than McGrady coming back here .

It's basically someone's fantasy that he'd be back here. It's not real. Like all the what if scenarios about Tracy, none of that crap is real.

3. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Love this! I'm laughing my head off right now. Brilliant incisive commentary.

4. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Would be a nice pipe dream, but too much of a cry-baby, x-factor. No thanks.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I compared their teammates.

I knew that would come up. Deke was well past his prime, and also Yao's back up. The rest of the players you mentioned were McGrady's post injury teammates.

All I'm saying is this team could pull off a couple of championships:

Smith / Cassell
    Drexler / Maxwell
    McGrady / Brown
    Horry / Herrera
    Thorpe / Chilcutt

#165 BEAT LA, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. VBG

VBG Member

I really don't understand this post since T-Mac only played with Battier and Yao Ming together once.

The Chuck Hayes he played with was ****ing terrible.

You're acting as though Hakeem with **** teammates made it out of the first round. But 87-92 even Hakeem didn't' make it of the playoffs.

I DONT THINK T-MAC IS AS GOOD AS HAKEEM BEFORE SOMEONE CLAIMS THAT THIS IS WHAT THE POST IS SAYING

7. tinman

Supporting Member

there's something called google, which I hope TOFs, YOFs, know how to use.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/

Dream missed the playoffs only 1 year in that stretch of years you mentioned, and that was the year Don Chaney got fired.

US ROCKETS FANS KNOW THAT . The year after they drafted Robert Horry .

1992-93 NBA Houston Rockets* 55 27 .671 1 3.57 109.6 105.2 Lost Western Conference Semifinals R. Tomjanovich (55-27)
    1991-92 NBA Houston Rockets 42 40 .512 3 -1.94 106.2 108.0 D. Chaney (26-26), R. Tomjanovich (16-14)
    1990-91 NBA Houston Rockets* 52 30 .634 3 3.27 107.4 103.9 Lost Western Conference First Round D. Chaney (52-30)
    1989-90 NBA Houston Rockets* 41 41 .500 5 1.71 104.8 103.4 Lost Western Conference First Round D. Chaney (41-41)
    1988-89 NBA Houston Rockets* 45 37 .549 2 0.22 105.7 104.8 Lost Western Conference First Round D. Chaney (45-37)
    1987-88 NBA Houston Rockets* 46 36 .561 4 0.82 107.1 105.7 Lost Western Conference First Round B. Fitch (46-36)
    1986-87 NBA Houston Rockets* 42 40 .512 3 0.60 106.5 105.5 Lost Western Conference Semifinals B. Fitch (42-40)

#167 tinman, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

to prove my point , 99.9% of the McGrady posts here are fantasies.
    What if scenarios.

you see how when people really mention the greats like Drexler, Moses, etc, it's not what ifs??

When you flip on NBA TV, you see the Clutch City games, not the what if McGrady games where they put in NBA2K simulators to see what round the Rockets would lose if you placed him on certain teams.

9. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

No way!

We need a center, not more wing players.

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Yes, the whole point of this thread is to speculate about what ifs. The title of the thread is a question for crying out loud!. Believe it or not, a lot of T-Mac fans watched the same games you watched, and they aren't stuck in the past reminiscing 2 years of championships. Nobody is trying to assault your god Hakeem and your religious cult of championship rockets. I can't find in this thread where someone said that Tracy McGrady was as good as Hakeem. Point it out for me and I won't respond.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

OBVIOUSLY NOT

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

What if that team existed? How would they get their points in the post? I see 4 options in McGrady, Drexler, Horry, and Thorpe.

Tracy was a beast in his prime. Probably the greatest in his era. Olajuwan is one of the greatest of all time. I know there isn't a comparison between the two, but you cannot say one player is at fault for the failure of an entire organization. McGrady was unlucky. It was hard to get quality players next to McGrady and Yao with their salaries. It took a couple of drafts before the Rockets had one decent starter in Battier to keep Ryan Bowen off the court. A couple of years after that the Rockets finally had the team, but by then McGrady didn't have anything left. Can you blame him for something beyond his control? After last season it's obvious all of the speculation regarding his phony injuries were just that, speculation.

13. VBG

VBG Member

Sorry, completely mistyped it.

Meant, made it out of the first round.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Must be unlucky that 3 organizations "failed" on him during each long stay. Must be unlucky that T-Mac departed from each of those 3 organizations with the same burned bridges. Must be unlucky that drama seems to follow him wherever he goes. Must be unlucky that he never passed the first round no matter which team he played for. Must be unlucky... hey I think I am starting to see a pattern here!

15. VBG

VBG Member

Shaq went through the same thing with burning bridges.

That's really hurting his legacy right?

It's nice being sorrounded with good players, which McGrady never really was.

His Orlando team was so pathetically bad.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Shaq's legacy is defined by his era of complete dominance in the league and his multiple championships. While T-Mac could have easily been the greatest, he has no results at all to even help him dig out the holes he dug himself. You are comparing one of the greatest big men of all times with multiple championships to a guy that has not been out of the first round once. Like I said, he must be very "unlucky" to fail on so many teams. At some point, even TOF's should ask themselves how it could all be coincidence.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Realistically that team would have gotten destroyed by Barkley's suns. Destroyed.

That said, I think the Tracy factor makes even a first round win unlikely.

I am astonished to see these people acting like Carl Herrera, Kenny Smith and Vernon Maxwell, not to mention baby Sam Cassell and baby Robert Horry, was a better supporting cast than what Tracy got to play with.

Tracy's career = One excuse after another, one hypothetical after another.

Yup, and Riddick Bowe would have dominated anyone If he had a heart, and some work ethic...

Tracy McGrady=Riddick Bowe

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, and this is false, by the way.

(Chuck and Battier carried Tracy's ass on defense more than any other "superstar" I can remember)

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No. But unless he is clinically depressed his attitude is within his control. I don't fault him for the injuries. I fault him for not having any fight in him when it counted. He was an incredibly talented player but he was unmotivated, lazy and arrogant -- outside of a spectacular regular season game or scoring championship, he never once got out of the first round of the playoffs. And a lot of those years he was not injured. A player with his skills and natural ability should have been able to do that no matter who else was on his team. Unfortunately for him, playoff games are won with grit and determination. And he never had any of either.

Don't want him back for the minimum, don't want him back for free and would prefer he didn't spend too much time visiting the Rockets locker room when he's in town. I'd rather have a team full of role players with heart and desire than a team full of superstars with neither.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If McGrady worked just half as hard as Yao did -- on improving his game and on his rehab -- he might have been on par with Kobe.