1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want Larry Brown?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by g1184, Jul 20, 2005.

?

Would you want Larry Brown to coach the Rockets (and thereby firing Van Gundy)?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2005.
  1. Yes

5.2%
  2. No

94.8%
  1. g1184

g1184 Member

ESPN showed the results of one of their SportsNation polls yesterday where every state in the nation voted yes to this question, including Texas. Now, with Jeff Van Gundy fixing the Rockets, Gregg Popovich winning the title (again), and Avery Johnson who (I thought) was a fan favorite, I found the poll results hard to believe.

I know a couple of you have already voiced your displeasure with Larry Brown, and personally I feel the same. The guy has destroyed every franchise he left by turning players against coaches, management against players, etc. just so he can save his own image (being fired vs. quitting on the Pistons) and no matter where he goes he's always looking for the next branch to swing to.

Keep him away from here.

So consider this a re-poll, to find out whether Houston really wants Larry Brown, or if it's the other two Texas towns that would be happy to greet "Brown Thumb" Larry Brown.

("Brown Thumb" as opposed to "Green Thumb", I thought my petty attempt at a joke might be too vague.)

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Where's the "Hell, no!" option?

3. foodworld

foodworld Member

4. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Larry Brown is such a douche. Just read today's Chicago Tribune and you'll see how Brown was meeting with Lebron in his office while the Piston were practicing during the PLAYOFFS. No way would I want this clown pounder on our team. I like having a team of guys I can actually get behind.

5. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I'll take him over Phillip Jackson every day of the week!!!
    The Pistons USED him to win a title and he USED the Pistons to win one. It was a match made in heaven for 2 years. Why aren't the Pistons being criticized for doing Rick Carisle wrong 3 years ago? THey fired him after he helped rebuild them into 50+ win teams. I think that is more wrong than anything.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

With his health issues to go along with his head case problems, no thanks

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I didn't forget that move. Granted, they won with Brown but I have a hard time believing that, with the late addition of Wallace, Carlisle wouldn't have won with that updated team as well.

Honestly, the Pistons and Brown deserves one another. Dumars threw Carlisle under the bus after back to back 50 win seasons and Brown threw the Pistons organization under the bus when he was flirting with Cleveland.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I strongly disagree with that statement. I answered no to the question. I don't want him. I'm quite pleased with JVG right now, and I think the possibility stands of JVG being here for quite a long time. Larry Brown can't coach much longer with any team even if he wants to. His age and health won't permit that. However, saying that he has destroyed every franchise he left is just flat out ridiculous. Every team he has left, he has left in considerably better shape than they were in when he joined them. That's why teams continue to hire him. That's why despite the fact he seldom sticks around as long as owners expect, he's maintained a good image in the league. The one example you offer is pure speculation, and doesn't at all support all of the things you claim he's done. I'd love to see some more examples to back your claims here.

9. Toast

Toast Member

A couple of years ago, I'da said yes definitely.

But now JVG's just getting started molding this squad into the type of team he wants. Can't just rip him out of the mix. Let JVG create his team and show you what he can do with it.

10. g1184

g1184 Member

I conceed that my statement was more hyperbole than anything else. However, "Larry Brown" and "Clean Break" aren't two words I would associate with each other if I was in therapy. The statement was made more on the basis that there has been large amounts of drama with the last two teams he left.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/larry_brown/?nav=page
    His coaching profile can be found here, along with the records of each NBA team he coached. A loose argument can be made that he leaves each team after it peaks, with the exception being San Antonio (which due to my personal bias I'm going to attribute their continued success to the emergence of The Admiral).

That's enough for me to label him a quitter.

I know the Sixers are still struggling to straighten out, and what's even worse, Larry Brown probably hurt A.I.'s feelings.

11. g1184

g1184 Member

is that why you voted 'yes' ? :confused:

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more...

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Every team he's left has been left with drama, even the college team he coached! With the Clippers and Spurs there was problems with Danny Manning and David Robinson, problems with Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller in Indiana, problems with AI in Philly, problems with staying focused on winning a second championship in Detroit, problems with Danny Manning and NCAA rules at Kansas.

The biggest problem with Larry Brown, besides the drama, is sustaining success, that's the toughest thing to do in the NBA and he's horrible at it. It seems like every time a team he's coaching is doing good he changes it and ends up hurting the team, either by trading away important players like he did in Indiana and Philly, or by alienating his best player like he does everywhere, or by alienating his whole damn team like he did in Detroit. It's easy to make a bad team good, to make a team over achieve, but to keep a winning team a winning team, especially a championship team, is the hardest thing to do as a coach.

The man's a basketball genius, one of it's greatest teachers ever, but sometimes he's his own worst enemy.

14. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I like the progress that Jeff Van Gundy is making.

Larry Brown is a soap apera.

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

ROFL. The poll results currently sit at 106-5 AGAINST Larry Brown. The real question: Who let edc vote 5 times?

16. TheBear01

TheBear01 Contributing Member

The Knicks should be BETTER for him, NOOO Houston!!!

17. Kurupt the Kingpin

Parting ways with Brown "was kind of easy," Davidson said. "There was too much Larry Brown and not enough Pistons. I wasn't happy with that. You've got to understand that whoever coaches the Pistons represents me. And I'm not going to give (the team and their fans) somebody that's not a good person."

Ouch! Larry seems to have really pissed the owner off. For all of Brown's talk about playing with integrity and playing the "right way", he sure seems to have his own problems with living up to contracts he signs.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I was very pissed when we hired JVG instead of Brown a couple summers ago, but I've grown to love JVG and his hard work.

Brown is a great coach, but his short tentures w/ teams is very troublesome. I like committments and right now, I don't think any team is "safe" with Brown.

BTW, the ESPN question was: Do you want Larry Brown to coach the Rockets specifically? Or was it a general question any team?

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Actually, I clicked the wrong selection, my bad

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Did the Pistons FIRE HIM or did he get a buyout

Rocket River