1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want jvg as your coach next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket3forlife2, Apr 9, 2007.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We need a coach that allows players to play, the Rockets go from one end of the spectrum to the other (Rudy who let the players do whatever they want to JVG who takes you out of the game for one mistake so that you play hesistantly).

We need a younger coach like Avery who will get on you and not be afraid to let you play. That is hard to find in coach.

2. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

HAHAHA this thread gets funnier with every check of the poll standings. It appears the overwhelming majority love JVG and want to retain his excellent coaching services.

As usual the nay sayers are a small group who seem to thrive at postingas much as possible to try and validate their opinion.

3. ham

ham Member

How many times has JVG done that?

Which players on the Rockets play hesitantly? Rafer? Chuck? Battier?

4. lustdog

lustdog Member

I don't see nothing wrong with the team. Then the question is whether the team could've been better without him? Or can he bring the Rox to an higher level given the talent we have now?
    My answer to first one is 'maybe'. I may have seen the chemistry happened a lot earlier, if we were still with Tom.
    My answer to the second question is 'emmmmm, I doubt that'. Are we talking about a coach of a NBA championship team? JVD sure birngs a lot of defense. But to win a title, IMHO, reactive strategies is probably more important to the Rox right now. more often than not in JVD's game, when opponent changes stretegy to stop Yao or T-mac, the game suddently becomes much harder for the ROckets. That is because, when that happens, JVD often doesnt know what to do, and hopes that the opponent coach would have a heart attack in 4th Q.
    He needs to learn how to change strategy accordingly.
    I'm just an average joe. That's what i have to say. Say it out loud if it bothers you. Can't wait to hear what people have to say about our selection of coach.

5. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Maybe the question should be does Van Gundy want to come back?
    He has money and likes the TNT gig... maybe he's burnt out again after the season-

6. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

We have some additions to make this summer.

We have the MLE, a first rounder and a 2nd rounder.
    Then we have V-Span and Novak who will be told exactly what to do this summer, and will have another training camp + the season they went through to help them.

I think this team, with the same coach, can hit 60 wins next year assuming we use those tools wisely. Yes, I do think we used our tools wisely as Novak and Billy were NOT ready to play for the 5th best team in the league.

But Novak should get into better shape, V-Span should have learned a lot and worked on his game this summer, we need to sign an ageing, experienced vet who can play 15 min at backup PG, re-sign Tsakilidis because Mutombo is up there in age, and draft a project PF.

Hell, we won't even need our MLE to do all of that, so we have the whole MLE to add ONE MORE thing if we needed.

My favorite scenario:

- Novak and V-Span improve slightly. They get to play minutes here and there.
    - We re-sign Tsakilidis cheap regardless of whether or not Deke is coming back.
    - We draft a very young guy at PF who can, within a season or two, be perfet for us.
    - Sign Travis Diener or Anthony Johnson for backup PG in case V-Span isn't god enough.

That would make us a very very deep team, and I can see a team like that battling for top seed, especially if we have an encouraging playoff experience.