1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want jvg as your coach next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket3forlife2, Apr 9, 2007.

1. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

i definitely would like to see him coaching the rockets next year. adding grant hill would be nice too.

2. rocket3forlife2

Your probaly right, but look at the time I made this tread it was before the game.Actually this is what the dude said on the other forum.

I just wanted to know what was the real opinion on this.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I love this thread... 5 Stars...

50 wins, here we come!

#1 Defense, here we come!

Playoff victories, here we come!

stay focused, stay humble, stay hungry....

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I support JVG 100%. Always have, always will.

5. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I do not get it-why do this now? We need to win some games and enter the playoffs on a positive note--why do this poll now?

I voted "I don't care" because I do not care about this issue now. We need to have a unified force going into the playoffs.

JVG zealots inflame this controversy....

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

For the record, I've been up and down on JVG. I'm not a zealot. I just think someone who b****es about the coach all year long in a year in which we go from lottery bottom dwellers to championship contenders is the opposite of a fan.

I've been a Rockets fan for more than 30 years. But if we somehow win it all, my greatest joy will be shoving it in the faces of the haters on this board.

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

If this is directed at me - so be it- though I do not understand....I have gone on record supporting Van Gundy as he is the coach of my team.

I never wanted to see him hired- but I have accepted him. I have been a fan since 1981 and a season ticket holder since '99. I have hung in with this team when we won 45 games with Steve Francis, Moochie, Walt Williams, and aged Hakeem, etc. I have shown my loyalty. Rudy should get a gold medal for winning more than 40 games with that squad.

If you find joy in "shoving it in the faces" I really do not understand you. This attitude is little different than the "haters" you refer to.To each his own. I will support this team and this coach.

There are people on this board that go out of their way to villify Rudy-I will continue to defend Rudy and have kept my mouth shut (recently) about this coach we have now.

Go Rockets!!!!

8. Barkley

Barkley Member

My answer it is just YES. I think he has done a good job. We are a good defensive team and when we have both star healthly we can beat everybody. GOOD job coach

9. sebastien106

sebastien106 New Member

JVG,maybe he is the right man at the right time!

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

But but but...don't you know? Batman Jones is the George W Bush of Fandom....he is the decider.

:D

DD

11. AXG

AXG Member

To me, it all depends on how the Rockets perform in the playoffs this year and if there is a better coach available. I think he's done a great job this year so far and I would love to see him back next season.

12. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Thank you DaDakota. I will defer to his "decider" status...

Anyway -all of us want the Rockets to win--

Go Rockets!!!!

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

team is steadily improving year to year (besides injury year). 50 win seasons. potentially getting HCA. Team made up of classy players and dedicated to winning...

how could you fire that coach?

i think some people ignore the fact that even though this team is good, it is still not good enough to take winning for granted.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Has the team improved from 2 years ago with a much better Yao? I think it all depends on the playoffs.

DD

15. lethe

lethe Member

JVG has done a good job this season,although sometimes he's too stubborn.But I worry about him in playoff.

16. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

This crap is getting really old.... :rolleyes:

17. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

You can't fire JVG for 2 reasons at this point:

A) We aren't in rebuilding mode - you put a new coach on this team its going to take a couple of years for him to develop the Rockets into what he wants. We don't have that kind of time.

B) We are actually winning - why people want to burn the coach is beyond me at this point.

The only way I would fire him at this point is if in the playoffs we get swept in games where we lose by atleast 20 each game. And JVG says something or does something that alienates a bunch of fans/players in the playoffs.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i dont see why it hasnt. compare the two teams and their place in the league at their respective times... the rockets are easily a top 6 or 7 team in the league this year. I dont think they are that high 2 years ago.

regardless, the rockets organization ,as a whole, has greatly improved during jvg tenure...do you agree with that? i suppose you could argue that they have plateaued, but then i think we get into a talent argument, not a coaching one.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Let's talk about this after the playoffs.

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Yes-

Van Gundy pushed Yao to be a low post scorer
    Van Gundy got TMac to buy in and round out his game
    Get him a couple more pieces.... but we might do something special this year then the questions all go away...... :)