1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want JaVale McGee?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 45souf, Feb 23, 2012.

?

Would you want JaVale McGee on the Rockets?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2012.
  1. Yes, He is better than what we have?

88 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No, He is not worth the risk, and would bring us down?

128 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. emjohn

emjohn Member

Zach Randolph, for all his off court issues, was a beast on the court from the get go (limited minutes) and was ringing up 20-10 by his third year.

Tyson Chandler was a HSer that took a while developing, but he was putting up fair numbers as a reserve and was never considered a headcase. He also improved each year, especially on defense and in rebounding. But that's not a terrible example.

McGee SCREAMS Stro Swift.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Give the guy credit. At the least he can actually get on the court and get some real action.

T-Will is an unfair comparison to make to McGee, and at least he's not blasting the organization on his Twitter account. He has enough sense NOT to do that.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If McGee were available, yes. Forget about all that bone-headed crap. The guy produces on the court to the tune of 12pts, 7-8rbds, 1-2blks a game . Thats all that matters. Also, being on such a young team has a lot to do with it.

4. Pete the Cheat

you just made me shudder...I had relegated that memory to the darkest recesses of my psyche...

5. rju1986

rju1986 Member

I like his energy, enthusiasm and athletic abilities as a big man. I wouldn't mind it, just depends on the trade and circumstances I suppose.

6. meh

meh Member

I remember a time not too distant past when this entire board was enamored with the guy. Oh, the beauty of the bandwagon effect after just having a few awesome games.

7. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

Morey did what he could for T-Will to take advantage of a grand opportunity. T-Will's lack of success is on him self no one else. Battier was traded last year, he couldn't beat out Bud the beginning of the season, & when Martin was out a couple games this year he failed once again to cease the opportunity. What does any of that have to do with Morey? Seems like you're unhappy with management when you should be upset with T-Will. I can understand the frustration though, b/c I loved seeing T-Will at L'Ville dominate & it just hasn't translated to our team which is unfortunate only for T-Will.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I never liked him, and never will.

Don't want anything to do with him.

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

This guy can play, could even be an all star.

I hate the Wizards and their attidue so with him comming to the right organization I do belive he can change and actually commit to hard work.

10. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

What does age have to do with anything? It's really an illusion, only tallying the physical amount of time we have been here. For Shawn Kemp was in his 30s damn near 40 & drank himself out of shape & eventually out of the league.

You can't repeat the same events & expect different results: Insanity. I'd go out on a limb and say McGee is continuing the same things he has always done. Simply going through life & not growing through life. Possibly why his mother suggested what she did in that interview that has been discussed w/in this thread.

With that said I'd take him, a environment change can work with most players, however their are some players who aren't willing to change for the betterment of themselves or organizations they play for. I don't get that from McGee. The Wizard organization is horrid from the GM to the the coach, especially flip he's lost control of the last three teams he has coached.

11. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

>:D... I can't take it. He was too sure about that bucket. Even with this I'd still take him.

12 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks a game in less than 30 minutes is productive. Not to mention a +17 which isn't too shabby.

12. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

I agree with you to a degree.

The subtle difference b/t T-Will & McGee is that one doesn't have to dominate the ball the other does. McGee affects the game more with his rebounding (9rpg), defending the paint(3bpg how many shots get change is another thing, & the reluctance of the opposition to even attack the paint while he's down there), & on average is a +17.

However both players are somewhat immature, selfish, & maybe somewhat not the most profesional players. But all those things can be easily improved upon if the player is willing to progress & is presented with an environment that is able to provide a solid culture shock to what he is accustomed to.

13. BleedRocketsRed

Learned that from his teammate:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lDzRvZcFn48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. RedNation

RedNation Member

Most of us here lose our minds when dragic or lee make a boneheaded play. Take that, and multiply it by 100000000000000000 because javale mcgee is the most confused/idiotic player in the nba.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

yes hes been on wizards in 5 years... and in 5 years his talent and game has increased 5-fold...

yes hes been on the wizards 5 years but his attitude hasnt changed... neither has the situation or an veteran players around him...

he has continued to grow physically because he has coaches and time to learn and get better...

he hasnt continued to grow mentally because he doesnt have the right surrounding coaches/players to hunker him down...

16. SK34

SK34 Member

Yes.
    Why?
    He is a Center. He rebounds the ball. He blocks shots. He dunks the ball. He will bring more excitement to the Rockets game. Although he has made some dumb decisions, he can grow as a player under Mchale. He can back up Dalembert. This helps the teams defense, and bench get a BIG MEN to go to other than Patterson.

17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

Would I take Pau over McGee? Yes. But the question was Pau and his contract. The one thing that scares me off going after Gasol right now is the $19mil that he is owed. That could effectively put us out of the race for Dwight & Deron/big fish free agent.

I am still of the firm belief that Morey was planning to bring over Pau & Nené to specifically use them as trade assets for Dwight once March 1st came; if Orlando wouldn't bite on a package of Pau, Nené, young talent & Picks, then at least we would still be left with a top tier decent front court.

I wouldn't have given up Martin though, his scoring is too valuable.

In saying all that, if McGee was available for Flynn & filler (even a pick) I'd do it in a heartbeat; 3blks, 10reb & having people think twice about driving the lane is too tempting to pass up. Agree?

18. dd89

dd89 Member

Let those **** enjoy themselves.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Who said anything about being unhappy with management? I'm sure Morey has learned his lesson from T-Will about gambling on raw athletes with garbage intangibles. And McGee is far worse about that than T-Will ever was.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Only if they were almost giving him away. He is a lot like Jordan Hill, you can coach em up all you want but you can't fix stupid.

Most of the things great big men do don't show up in the stat sheet. Showing on screens, rotation and closing off the lane. He doesn't do these things, he is at best a lateral move from Dalembert and not a viable long term option.

The raw physical talent is certainly there, so if the price was really low sure. But i wouldn't give up a 1 or any of our current rotation players except Hill.