1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want Delfino to play 4 to close game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by howo13579, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
?

Do you want Delfino at 4 to close game?

1. Yes, we should sit those rookies and use Delfino's experience at the end of game

20.9%
  2. No, McHalec needs to stop mathing up and start exploiting size mismatch with Asik or Dmo/Tjones

66.3%
  3. Don't know if that contributed to our win or loss.

12.8%
  1. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Last night Delfino did a good job rebounding against those 3rd stringers. However past few games, it has shown Delfino is useless when the opposite team has real front court. Last night's come back was sweet and gotta give credit to Delfino with that important rebound which lead to a dagger from Parsons.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm ok with everything as long as the end result is a W.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't want to see Delfino at the 4. He gets abused on the defensive end. But I understand that he is probably more reliable than the young bigs at this time and we are fighting for a playoffs spot.

I hope McHale will stop doing that next season.

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

Zach Randolph is going to destroy Delfino if the rockets get the grizzles in the playoffs. That's my biggest concern.

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Depends on the match up. In the playoffs, it's highly unlikely we find a match up where that works to our advantage.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do I want him to play the 4? Of course not. But I also want the Rockets to trade for Lebron and Love. But alas, reality does not deal us such optimal hands. Until DMo can show he's a plus defender, or Robinson can show he's a plus offensive player, what other choices do we have?

7. VBG

VBG Member

You look at matchups.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Depends on match-up, game situation and how guys have been performing in that game. There's is no definitive right answer. And Terrence Jones -- a rookie that hasn't played a single meaningful minute and looked completely lost in the minutes he has played -- isn't the answer to anything.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Sometimes.

10. trowa2

trowa2 Member

he spreads the floor, tougher than all the pfs we have, why not?

11. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Well at the end of game, Harden usually goes ISO if the game is close so spreading the floor only opens up a lane for Harden to drive but is detrimental for rebounding. Also opposite usually gets bunch of offensive rebounds and second chance shots.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

It happens every game though unless we are blowing the other team out.

Can't tell me having Delfino on the likes of Faried or another legit PF in 4th makes any amount of matchup sense.

13. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Well in that specific instance, it's nice to pull a defensive stalwart like Faried out of the paint, and he's not exactly a huge post-up threat.

14. davek

davek Member

I actually don't like Delfino because he's too streaky. Yesterday he did play well...
    This guy is too much of a coin toss...

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

There are nights when he clearly is an asset and others when, well you know what I mean.
    I'm not too concerned about match-ups as long as the resultsare there. But I don't think
    McHale should force anything if it's not working we've got other players who also want to
    play. I'm in favor of playing the hot hand it creates a desire to play hard, knowing that
    if you play well you're going to see playing time!

16. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

This

The reason this small lineup is statistically so good is because it's being used when it's effective. It should be used as long as that's the case. The better and better our PFs get, the more consistent they get, the less we'll see this lineup.

17. Ultimate6thMan

Ideally, we should play the PF that is playing the best, along with Asik. Barring fouling out, I could see a situational circumstance where Delfino is at the 4 to spread the floor, but that should be played by possession...for example on the offensive end. If McHale would use game stopage and timeouts to substitute players back and forth at the end of games, I wouldn't have a problem with Delfino being subbed in to spread the floor to open the lanes up for Harden, until DMo becomes a more consistent 3 point shooter.

18. Ultimate6thMan

And then substituting one of our power forwards back in on defense for rebounding and a better defensive matchup. But whoever McHale plays, usually just stays in for offense and defense.

19. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

D mo & asik do not have any true post up game. With our current roster no use having the other teams 4 or 5 defender both clog up the driving lane for harden and Lin. Dribble drive offense doesn't work with 2 people posting. You need a 4 who can hit the 3 after the ball handler beats his man and the help d has to pick up the assignment.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Delfino is the best choice, and often the only choice on the frequent occasions when Motiejunas, Robinson and other "real PFs" on the team are playing like horse **** in a game.

Preferably, you have an alternative for the occasions when Delfino's defensive matchup is bad, but Morey traded him for a lotto bust.