1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want a win now piece or do you want to develop another rookie?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jun 7, 2024.

?

Do you want a win now piece?

1. Yes Donovan Mitchell

11 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Yes Marcus Smart and a later pick

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Yes Mikal Bridges

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Yes Trae Young

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. No just draft someone with #3 and stay the course.

87 vote(s)
    77.0%
  1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

There's a HUGE flaw with this plan though. If Green doesn't show out and looks like we need to move on, you think somebody's trading us a disgruntled star for him? Why? Usually when a team has to move on from a star, the last thing they're looking for is a replacement who is a bust.

2. MystikArkitect

The poll is more lopsided than I thought it'd be so far. Hugely in favor of drafting and I'd have to agree. We also forget that we have our own picks we can use later on if there is a star to be attained. We're not "stuck" only using the Nets picks though I'm guessing the F.O. doesn't want to keep drafting and stashing.

Cavs are a good example of pushing your chips in too much with a player like Mitchell. He made Garland awkward and stifled Mobley's development. Instead of having a lesser Sengun on offense but better Sengun on defense you just have a better Bruno Fernando because he's been relegated to rim running duty and cleaning up the glass. Mitchell was a bad move in the end.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm 50/50 on use or trade the pick, but as stated in earlier; most Rocket fans (CF at least) want to use the pick.

It's also a bit psychological. The pick was originally around #9 and the basketball gods gives you a #3, feels like giving the karma gods the middle finger by not consuming it. :D

... outside of Mitchell (and maybe Mikal), I think Stone was hoping another big name free agent (currently not in media talks) to become available, so far that hasn't happened. It's slim.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

We're a couple of years away from contending, so I'd rather just continue to develop our young prospects and add draft picks. I'd wait until next summer at the earliest to make win now moves, after seeing who we draft in 2025 using Brooklyn's pick hopefully. We'll have a much clearer vision of our future at that point. We'll at least see more of what Amen, Jabari, Cam, and Tari are capable of.

Win now moves are not cheap, nor are they risk free. Trade all of our assets for Donovan Mitchell (that's what it'll take), then watch him refuse to sign an extension and explore free agency next summer. Brooklyn is asking for a haul for Bridges and that's just a non-starter for me. I'm not even a Trae fan. Any of these win now moves eliminates max cap space for next summer. Last year, we were only capable of recruiting FVV and Brooks because we were a rebuilding team, but by next summer we could actually be a draw. Wouldn't it be funny if instead of trading for Mitchell he actually wanted to come and signed with us outright?

jcmoon likes this.
  5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

I want to win now. I have wanted to win everyday since 27 missed 3s Game 7.

edit: I have never recovered after that game 7.

6. comrade

comrade Member

Give Spurs Sheppard for numbers 4 and 8. Take Buzelis and Topic. Redshirt Topic while he recovers ACL. I want more upside.

don grahamleone and IREYAT like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Not necessarily.

He has every incentive to have a huge year. If he doesn't, he will lose a ton of money.

But, if he doesn't, and becomes what he has been, he can still be a valuable trade piece, at the right price. He just becomes one of many assets we already have in the coffer.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we trade back we gotta have Devin Cater.

Imma keep banging that drum

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. IREYAT

IREYAT Member

I really like this idea coupled with a Green, maybe anther player, and picks trade.

Lets say its Spider and we give up Green and picks in the future, in two years the team looks like the following.

Amen-Spider-Brooks-Bari-Sengun with Cam-Topic-Tari-Bezelis-Jock.

Legit that's still enough for another BIG trade while having tons of youth.

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I actually think he will have a big year and it'll all be academic regardless, but if you think you're trading Green for anything of value if he busts out you'll be sorely disappointed.

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Personally I’d play the long game because draft picks are under team control for so long and also cap friendly.

Mathloom, don grahamleone and topfive like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

And he'd be a bad move for us as well. Despite what many here think, building a championship roster isn't as easy as just grabbing the most productive players regardless of fit.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I want both. Devin Carter.

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

REED SHEPPARD

15. Two Sandwiches

If he busted, we'd likely have to let him walk, if we can't get a team friendly deal. The trade would be using other assets.

But I agree with you.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Reed Sheppard will be both.

17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Trading tons of assets for Donovan Mitchell with a young team got Cleveland a single playoff series win and now they're falling apart. Stay the course.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

There is no way we keep 7 drafted players and ever win a ring, not gonna happen has never happened, and we need to start leveraging some talent to get better in a hurry.

The sooner folks realize this is what Tillman wants and is doing, the better.

DD

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Everyone winning in the playoffs and the two teams in the Finals are teams that have kept their drafted players and took the time to develop them and put pieces around them. There is no quick remedy. trading for Harden was an exception because all our quality starting players were maxed out on their potential. Even acquiring him didn't pan out because he didn't have that killer instinct. Hell of a player but it didn't work. The team needs to develop chemistry.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Whatever Stone does this offseason is going to tell us what Tilman wants.

We'll know in a few months whether the boss is getting impatient to win now or if he's willing to continue the long-term climb to the top.

Corrosion likes this.