1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust yao in the 4th?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jan 14, 2009.

Tags:
?

Do you trust yao in the 4th

1. yes

171 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. no

151 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It is not just last night, but throughout his career he always has trouble in the 4th quarter. Whether it is fronting defenses, turnovers, or just being tired if we try to go to him at the end we seem to fail.

Do you trust him with the ball in the 4th. Will he ever be a 4th quarter go to guy?

2. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

where was this thread after the Celtics game?

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm at 50/50.

Celtics game is a horrible example, the rebound went right to Yao and he already had deep position.

We're talking about making plays.

4. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

He made plays wether that rebound came to him or not.I also remember him powering his way for jump shot in the key before brooks three pointer put us up 2 points in that game.

This game he was hampred by bull jive fouls. He couldn't finish the 3rd and came back late for the 4th.

Yao needs a penetrator or anothe guy to help him finish. Give him a chance to become clutch.

Shaq/d-wade
    Shaq /kobe
    Kareem/magic
    Kareem/oscar robeertson
    Wilt/jerry west

Dream was a whole different story, but he had a bunch of guy's that helped piece in to help him as well.

5. King901

King901 Member

In the 4th quarter, i would have to sya maybe the begining. I'd say no for the last two minutes depending on the circumstances. I don't think he should try making any game winners though. Attacking the rim > shanghai shake IMO.

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

he made a cluth shot against portland ... althought we lost to Roy's buzzer beater.

7. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I do not trust any big man if he's doubled.

People do not remember the old days when the TD's Spurs played the Shaq/Kobe's Lakers, they would always collapse in the 4th quarter. They finally fixed this by adding/developing Manu and Parker.

We have Wafer and Brooks, yes I am daydreaming.

8. Kevin_chn

Kevin_chn Member

Before exercising your very right of voting, make sure you understand that Rockets is perhaps the only team without a backup center before last night (deke played for 2 minutes, right?).

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This and other threads like it are just plain ignorant.

Know your Rockets history people.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hakeem used to go one on three, in crucial situations and the team always fell short, always.

It was only after Rudy took over, Hakeem got injured, the team won 16 in a row, without him that he realized his teamates could be trusted.

So, when he came back, he started passing to his WIDE open teamates in crucial situations, sometimes they made, sometimes they missed, but he TRUSTED them.

Then the next year, the team took off....in a center dominated offense the other team is not going to give up the paint late, it is up to Yao's teamates to hit WIDE OPEN shots created by having Yao in the game.

Remember Dream passing to:

Horry
    Cassell
    Kenny
    Mad Max
    Elie

They all hit shots late in games in crucial situations........it is TEAM ball......

That is what Yao is doing now....he is drawing in the defense and creating space for his teamates to score the ball....but it is a process that takes time...players are just now getting used to getting the ball late, usually Tmac had it....and made the play, now it could be anyone.

So, this is going to take time.....but if you know hoops, and your history, then there is only one answer up there....Yes.....you trust Yao.....because he trusts his teamates......

Too many JR high kids with computers...SHEESH !

DD

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He had like a put back. wafer hit the winning shot. Once Garnett started fronting him he was having trouble getting the ball.

11. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I trust him to kick the ball out to his shooters for the last shot. I don't trust him to take the last shot. There have been many opportunities for him to seal the game with a last shot this season, and the only one I can recall that he actually made was the one against Portland.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

JVG used to track the stats in the fourth and said Yao was one of the most efficient players in the 4th quarter in the entire league.

I agree with JVG.

DD

13. verti89

verti89 Member

Mutumbo is pretty efficient to...

I don't trust him in the 4th quarter or in any big game type situation, or against teams with a non-traditional center, or in back to backs, or to catch a pass, or to hold onto a rebound...

I do trust him to make free throws though.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I've seen too much, from his rookie year, to the Game 7s, to last night that suggest that Yao does not have enough gas for the final 6 minutes of a game. He can play, but his strength his gone, and his hop is gone, and his shots routinely fall short or flat.

I believe he is most effective running a high pick & roll in final shot situations. Those plays have been great for us his entire career.

Yao is a really good guy, but he's not Olajuwon with the clock winding down.

Evan

15. ApuN

ApuN Member

Yao Ming has consistantly dissappeared in the 4th. Last night showed that in pressure situation the guy panics.

You are down three with seconds left and you shoot for 2??

That is pure and unadulturated choking.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8cjF1i0h78&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8cjF1i0h78&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dZtWbsvS16o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dZtWbsvS16o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I trust Yao in the 4th, just not handling the ball or shooting it unless he's going for a dunk right under the rim.

18. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I trust Yao in the 4th quarter, but he didn't do well last night in the 4th. I still would give him the rock though.

19. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

Yao is the best center now but can not compare to Dream beside even Dream if he still playing he could not be go to guy either. I think the go to guy is the guy that can move without the ball what I mean is usually a guard or small forward.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i would never go to yao late in the 4th quarter if i needed a sure fire basket. he is terrible at closing out games. he's just not reliable down the stretch.