1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. raining threes

Or the Blue Jays

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Morally good? Didn't happen.

I am not happy at all about the trade.

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Poor Kenny G. Now he’s blowing sweet tunes for the Red Sox.

4. Malaya

Malaya Member

Let it go. He's no longer an Astro.

No need to ridicule him or wish him ill.

He's broken somehow some way. I hope he finds the root problem.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Ken Giles is not a Location Pitcher hitting Bottom Corners of the Strike Zone, His Slider goes East to West instead of North to South. His Slider is terrible. His Fasball is Flat, with no movement. In MLB you need to add pitches

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Data from Brooks says otherwise, but no need to let the truth get in the way of a good narrative

No Worries likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. CinematicFusion

Wow!
    just WoW...

Uprising likes this.
  9. Screaming Fist

I don't know why our fans hate this dude so much. It sucks things didn't work out for him here but it's not like he's a domestic abuser or something...

Hey Now! likes this.
  10. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

He was so good in 2017 regular season.. the 2017 postseason really messed him up.. i hope he finds his way again because he can be a really good reliever

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He is actually, on himself :)

Seriously though, I wouldn't call it hate. More like shattered expectations.

12. AirPower

AirPower Member

I think most people have an issue with him due to his performance, behavior, and how he used the Brock Osweiler playbook to answer media questions after bad outings.

I agree, no need to hate on the guy, he's not a part of this org any longer.... wish him the best and move on.

13. Screaming Fist

The deterioration of Giles is a mystery to me. The pitch quality and swing/miss is still mainly there but his batted ball profile has gone to **** this season. Almost like he's tipping his pitches or something.

14. Screaming Fist

Rondon's fastball is much flatter than Giles'. Giles' slider has lost some of its former sink but it has a higher SwStr% this season than any other year of Giles' career. His fastball is what gets him in trouble but there's nothing about it that jumps out as a reason for why it's so easy to drive. I think his issues are likely due to inconsistent command of the pitch coupled with the fact that hitters haven't missed when he has failed to properly locate.

15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Our fans can be so bitter sometimes, haha. I'm with the "just let it go" crowd. I hope he finds whatever is wrong and gets his career back on track. Dude has a big whole to dig out of...or punch out of. Amirite?

Hey Now! likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

For me it has less to do with him than his apologists on twitter. There was always an excuse..."well, he came into a game where it wasn't a save situation! how can you possibly expect him to get outs outside of that contrived situation? If you remove the bad games he's pitched, his numbers are amazing!"

17. Screaming Fist

Yeah, the save/non-save situation argument is dumb, as are pretty much all arguments focusing on context dependent performance.

I don't know Giles' life story but I've never read or seen anything that would indicate that he didn't give everything he had to help the Astros win. He may suffer from some emotional issues but that makes me more sympathetic towards him than anything. I'm sure plenty here (including myself) have suffered from anxiety, depression and other issues, and I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be having those problems spotlighted like they were for him, along with dealing with all the negative attention for the fans. Just a shitty deal and I hope he can bounce back and have a productive career.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Why do the fans hate him?

He almost cost the Astros a World Series title........ that is enough for most fans to not like him.

Combine that with consistent melt downs this season against very good teams, and then going off in his manager.

Giles would be really disliked by the fan base of any team.

Tomstro, Marteen and everyday eddie like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, this and self styled intellectual baseball fans that would actually argue that he hasn't been bad this season by simply looking at his FIP or the swing and miss rate on particular pitches.

As for Giles, I hope he grows as a person and becomes a long term big leaguer.

MadMax and Joe Joe like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's throwing 25% more meatballs, and hitting edge about 20% less (i.e, he's either getting too much plate or not close). This has caused his BB% to go down a lot, his K % to go down a lot, and he's giving up even greater contact than normal. Batters have always been able to tee off on Giles's fastball especially when it is middle-middle. With his slider having less dip this year (only 6 games that he's had average dip or better than his 2017 average), I'm amazed that he's still getting Ks.

I like FIP and xFIP, but I don't trust those stats for guys like Giles that will throw fastballs over the middle of the plate instead of giving up a walk (They are still better than ERA in short term for projecting future). Giles giving up contact instead walks is a 2018 thing.