1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Yao deserves to be in the hall of fame based on basketball merits?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Apr 1, 2016.

?

Yao in the hall of fame

1. Yes

191 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. No

85 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We can disagree, but IMHO, Yao was getting criticism his whole career from the Bball African American contingent.

Barkley saying he will never score 19pts in an NBA game - just the underlying nature was that he was not part of their culture, and as such had to be a soft player, who couldn't hack it.

Yao was much better than people give him credit for a great player, who was pro early played in the CBA for a few years, then the NBA - and deserves every bit of the Hall of Fame.

You can disagree - but guess what? No one cares, he is in the Hall of fame, voted in, none of the racists that don't like him and how he got there, nor anyone else, too bad...he got in.

DD

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dadakota is right.
    Dudewack is not.

Yao put china hoops on the map.

3. ibm

ibm Member

yao's accomplishments, within or outside of the nba are out there for everyone to see. you can easily google it. you really dont need me to tell you.

otherwise, by your logic, yao achieved not so much in the nba, and his achievements outside of the nba court were even less? so are you implying people must be stupid to have voted him in mainly due to his off-the-court accomplishments? yes, or no?

you honestly think if yao was not such an impactful player ON the court, he could've achieved what he has achieved OFF the court?

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Almost the entire "basketball contingent" is African-American. What are you even talking about?

Maybe Barkley made those comments because the majority of international players before and around Yao's time tended to be big flops. Remember Wang Zhizhi? Additionally, guys that size tended to be too slow to score enough. Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol come to mind.

If the argument is that Barkley is ignorant, I totally agree.

Your standpoint that he (and the "African-American contingent") has racist tendencies is bogus, guy.

The CBA counts for nothing. If it does, I expect to see guys like Marbury and Lester Hudson in the hall of fame.

You're presenting zero arguments for why Yao was "great" in a purely basketball context and going on this low-brow racist tangent.

You can disagree all you like, but stick to your own advice and talk about the basketball only (especially in a thread that specifically is only referring to basketball) next time.

I'll take this is "I have nothing to add" so I'll ask a bunch of rhetorical question instead.

I'll humor you though.

I do think Yao achieved some stuff in the NBA. It wasn't enough over a long enough period of time to warrant induction into the hall of fame. His achievements outside of the NBA were next to nothing. He didn't lead his team to an olympic or world championship at any point. You want an international star who accomplished a lot outside of the NBA and in international play who deserves to be in the hall of fame with a way less decorated NBA track record than Yao? Luis Scola.

I'll spell this out for you again. I think Yao absolutely deserves to be in the hall of fame for his contributions to global basketball. For his accomplishments on the court though? I don't think so.

#84 DudeWah, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Grant Hill was the wealthiest if not the most affluent allumni basketball player to ever attend Duke University. Christian Laettner's dad had to paint the frames, shutters, and walls so the private high school he attended would admit Christian. Some people jump to conclusions when they don't grasp the facts.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

We have tinman (the worst poster on this site) above saying that DD is right that the African-American community is racist against Yao.

Head over to the NBA dish and this loser has been spamming for 4 years about how LOF cry racism from the NBA community at every turn.

Golden.

7. ibm

ibm Member

what exactly is that mere "some stuff"? care to elaborate?
    "next to nothing" outside of the nba? so you do think those who voted him in were fools, eh? thanks for proving my point.

we're the only nation who call our national champions "world champions". seems you follow that narrow-minded school of thought. winner take all, only #1 or gold medals count, runner-up's nickname is "the best loser", etc. just a guess.

while the nba has been and still is the best bball league in the world, it all ties to the economy and money input. one day that could change, and we may no longer have the best league. maybe that's unthinkable to you? idk.

but one thing is for sure. w/o all the international players, the nba would not have been and will not be the same league.

since you are so sure yao doesnt deserve it, why have a poll? you couldve just state your opinion str8 up - even tho your opinion, just like mine, wouldnt have counted in reality.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Dudewah,

I have seen Yao have to deal with it his entire career - racism is at the heart of all this criticism.

And BTW - this is a Rockets board - being contrarian about Yao getting into the hall of fame is stupid.

Yao is in, b****ing and whining about it - when you said he should get in as a contributor too - is just being an ass.

DD

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

If we're supposed to be talking about Yao on the court and no one has even attempted to refute my obvious criticisms regarding fronting and defense, then I guess y'all are just conceding.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes DD

this is a Rockets board.

And Yao Ming was the #1 pick by the Rockets and coached by the legendary Rudy T

He never played for any other team and has said in his retirement speech that he loved Houston.

Any lack of love toward Yao is considered treason.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

DD knows what lurks in the hearts of men. LOL

19 and 9 is 19 and 9 no matter where you're born. Stop with the melodrama.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You can follow your advice and "Google it" for the list, since you apparently aren't aware.

Yao was an 8x All Star, a few of which were completely undeserved, e.g., 2011. He was selected to the all rookie first team. He was on a few NBA Second and Third teams.

<ul>
    <li>Never on an NBA First team.</li>
    <li>Didn't win ROY.</li>
    <li>Never won an MVP.</li>
    <li>Never led the league in any statistical category.</li>
    <li>Never won a DPOY.</li>
    <li> Never won a championship.</li>
    <li>Never made it past the second round of the playoffs.</li>
    </ul>

Statistically, he has less than 10k points, 5k rebounds, and 1k blocks in his NBA career.

None of that is worthy of a hall of fame induction as a player

You want to offset it with international play?

The Chinese national team never finished higher than 8th in any major international tournament (i.e., Olympics and World Championship) during Yao's time.

Not a chance.

All the rest of the stuff you've presented about economics and a shift of power is just nonsensical irrelevant babble that has nothing to do with the points in contention or the specifics of the topic at hand.

You keep trying to paint this picture that I think the people who voted him in are idiots. They aren't. On the other hand, you failing to comprehend what my view is (even after I have explicitly stated it) might make you one.

Again, I think he was rightfully voted in to the hall of fame because of his overall impact. As a player alone though, he does not deserve it at all.

#92 DudeWah, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah, you've lost a grip buddy. No one is b****ing or whining. Some of us are trying to have a discussion, to which you've contributed nothing other than conjecture and hyperbole.

You should self impose a sabbatical again, because these profanity laced tirades you've been going on in the recent past are unseemly.

Don't cry next time someone does exactly what you're doing right now to you.

Hypocrite.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well the people with a vote don't give two ****s what you think.

Congratulations to a great Hall of fame center - YAO MING!

DD

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh cut the crap,

you are pissed that Yao got in and Tmac won't. Hell Tmac won't even get his number retired , by any team.

suck it

tof

16. tinman

Supporting Member

DUDEWAH IS A TOF

LOL, look at the crap these TOFs spew, Harden made to the conference finals and already leap frogged Tmac in the playoffs.

Tmac only played 20 games in the playoffs as a Rocket

17. SemisolidSnake

I can't say because I missed most of the Yao era. I thought, though, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Yao, himself, said that he only wanted to be considered for the HOF based on his NBA merits and not on additional criteria like being an ambassador for basketball in the world. The Naismith HOF considers that important as well, since it's really a world basketball HOF, but I'm not sure if Yao wants them to

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

No one on this board has cared what you think for a long time. The management of this team really doesn't care what you think. No one does.

Yet you still post exponentially more than any of us.

You cried about profanity on this board, yet you're in every other thread calling anyone who disagrees with you an "*******" or "ass" and talking about the "****" they think like you're a teenager going through puberty.

Good luck with all those double standards.

Hypocrite.

19. ibm

ibm Member

for all the naysayers,,,

talking about stats,,, some other hof-ers (all centers) vs. yao's laughable 19/9.2 career stats:

ewing = 21/9.8
    mourning = 17/8.5
    dike = 9.8/10.3

did those deserve? if so, why not yao?
    so from a pure number perspective, the only thing one could possibly have against yao was longevity, is it not?

the beloved calvin murphy has a career stats of 17.9pts/4.4asts as a pg. why did he deserve?

just a few examples. someone enlighten me?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

DaDakota is the one the greatest posters on this site, he's like double hakeem rep.

you are just jealous people love him.

Nobody cares about you TOF.