1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think the Rockets as Currently Constructed is a Championship Team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZomgZ, Jul 9, 2015.

Tags:
?

Are Rockets a CHAMPIONSHIP team with current Roster.

Poll closed Jul 16, 2015.
  1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. No

170 vote(s)
    73.9%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nope.

I still think we rely too heavily on the 3-pointer. If the 3's are falling, we look invincible. If they aren't, we don't really have a backup plan offensively besides just letting Harden play one-on-one for 24 seconds.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

That's a pretty good backup plan.

3. ima_drummer2k

Until he gets worn out by the time the playoffs arrive.

A team with only one player who can create his own shot just isn't sustainable. He clearly needs help.

4. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

Amazed by how many people dont realize this.

5. ima_drummer2k

Appreciate the enthusiasm and I actually agree with most of what you're saying, but the part you're leaving out is that our competitors in the West (SA, LA, OKC) will all be better next year. OKC just because Durant will be back. And the warriors will obviously still be the favorite.

We need to be better than we were last year so those other teams don't pass us up.

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Hate to say it but no.

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

The problem I have with saying we made it to the WCF so we are contenders is that the series win over the clippers was a miracle. We got outplayed and were greatly outmatched 50% of that series, got down 3-1. It took a miraculous effort to come back and win it. Then we got down 3-0 to Golden State. I do think the team needs to upgrade some to get back the WCF, otherwise I'm afraid it's SAS and GSW as the two favorites in the WC.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

well that's what people need to realize. houston still needs to take another step to get better as other teams have done so. Which is why a player or two away that addresses the weaknesses as well as improvement in the core guys would likely increase these chances significantly.

9. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

But we made it there, WITHOUT 2 key playser, 2 starters. thats the point, I do agree adding a playmaker/scorer off the bench would be ideal, but the team is far away like people make it seem. Just being healthy is like adding 2 players in free agency.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

think most would agree houston isn't too far off, at least they shouldn't

11. Mattician

Mattician Member

Beverley and Motiejunas coming back will be huge.

Another point guard and knock down shooter would be my targets by the trade deadline.

12. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

fixed

13. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

meant "isnt" I got too exicted

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

GSW won the championship last season. No team won against them consistently and convincingly.

But things change year over year. Getting a full year of Beverley/Dmo/Howard/Jones will be like signing a couple of new high caliber role players in addition to where we ended last year.

1 person likes this.
  15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I agree. I think having the bulk of our core healthy, unlike last year, will allow us to keep up with them.

I do believe, like the rest of you, that we need to add another playmaker if we're going to take the next step. But that shouldn't be too difficult, we just have to be patient.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think we will be farther away than we are now if we lose Josh...assuming Morey doesn't pull off another move.

17. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

It starts with your superstars. Harden/Dwight are not a championship caliber 1/2 punch. There in starts the pressing problem. The role players problems are not as pressing as the former

18. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

What is with the infatuation with Ty Lawson????? He had a career year on a terrible team where he was asked to be responsible for everyone's scoring on an uptempo playing style........ I don't see him being worth breaking up chemistry and packaging assists for..... I could see the drool over Dragic because HE is the perfect compliment but Lawson? I'm sorry but Lawson and Harden backcourt would keep our bigs in foul trouble or lead the league in blocks......

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

you must not be familiar with lawson at all

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We need D-mo and T jones to progress a little more. We need Pat to shoot a tad better and we need either Dekker or Capela to be a decent option off the bench but yes I think we are a championship level team if we can continue to grow like we have been.

The thing I love about this off season is we will have 5 returning starters for the first time in what seems like a decade. Money is taking the right approach, he has been working for years to get to a point where he feels the roster is strong enough to let chemistry truly grow. He is not dumb he knows teams like the Spurs aren't just built by analytics and numbers on a page, they are built on the practice floor day after day, year after year.