1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Steve can be all star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wlqq, Dec 15, 2002.

1. wlqq

wlqq Member

No way.

I just wonder how he was all star last season. I did not vote him.
    Anybody remember the last several minutes in last season's all star game, all players gave the ball to him so that he could at
    least get 1 or 2 points rather than nothing?

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I remember him playing with a severe migraine last year, and then all sorts of people criticizing him for not playing better with a condition that they know nothing about.

Without a doubt, he'll start. If anyone wants to bet me, please, please do... this one is too easy. He was already in the top two guards by only American votes... and now he's got most of the fans voting for Yao voting for him as well! Francis won't just start, he might make a push for one of the top 2-3 votegetters in the entire game.

3. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

What if Yao makes it and Steve doesn't? Can you see the green eyed monster? :rolleyes:

4. wlqq

wlqq Member

Hey, the cat,

Why the fans voting for Yao will vote for steve as well?

All star stands for a player's real level. Don't do that just because he is a member in our Rockets team. I would rather vote Payton
    or Miller in the PG postion.

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Yes he will be an all-star this year and many years after this one. By the time February rolls around not only will he be a all-star but he would have deserved it :)

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

He'll be an A-S... But that really doesn't mean much, because he defines loser. A synonym for Steve Francis would be Stephon Marbury.

7. The Cat

Because Steve is Yao's teammate.

All-Star voting isn't about the best players. It's about who the fans want to see, plain and simple. It's not going to be "the best" no matter what you do... there are going to be undeserving players there. It's simply a matter of those undeserving players being Rockets, or players from other teams. I'd prefer that it be our players, whether they deserve it or not.

Oh, and congrats to Andre Miller for leading that talented Clippers team to a 9-14 record (?)... what an All-Star.

8. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Maybe SF can use the cheering, expectation and appreciation of millions of Chinese fans as a motivation to play better as a teammate of Yao Ming? :p

Think about it people. Vote for him ;)

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Why would those who vote Yao vote for Steve as well? Simple: those who vote Yao are homers.

Let me assure you, there's no one who hates Shaq more than me. But if you vote Yao to start over Shaq, and then start trying to be objective, you're seriously contradicting yourself (and you're doing a poor job of being objective as well -- Andre Miller over Steve Francis?).

Oh yeah, and I applaud you for citing Steve's performance in last year's All-Star game. He was playing with a friggin' MIGRAINE! How about you try hitting your shots when you have blurred vision and a partial loss of balance, not to mention the pain.

Just admit it: you're bitter that Steve isn't giving Yao the ball enough. Get over it and vote for him.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Well, Miller did outplay Francis both times this year, and his team won both games... Francis shot an atrocious 13 for 39 against the Clips. Miller 16 for 28.

One could easily make an argument that Miller is better than Francis.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think it's time to start thinning the heard around here.

Francis not an all-star? What are you an idiot?

12. kelsey_tam

kelsey_tam Member

saying franchise is not an all star is like saying kobe is not an all star or T-Mac is not an all star.:rolleyes:

13. HoustonTx211

HoustonTx211 Member

Steve will be a all star no doubt by then we might just be on a winning streak.

14. GAKF

GAKF Member

First, Steve is a great player, but he is not in the same class with T-Mac, Kobe and Gary Payton.

Second, don't assume Chinese fans will also vote for Steve just because he is Yao Ming's teammate. OK, I'll tell you the fact: most Chinese fans have their own favorite teams before Yao Ming joined Rockets. For example, they are lakers fans, Spurs fans, Kings fans ... Don't assume they will automately convert to Rockets fans because of Yao. They will be Yao fans, but meanwhile they will still root for their original team. Word.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Steve deserves it because he is an amazing player. He just sucks at team/winning ball.

DaDakota

16. bblewis

bblewis Member

I came from China. I was a Celtics/Bull fan but now I am 100% ROX fan and vote for YM & SF. I know lots of Chinese do the same. How can YM be successful w/o the sucess of ROX? maybe SF is not in the same class with TMac/Kobe/GP now, but who cares! We love to see YM & SF play in the All-Star game!

17. The Cat

And there's a reason why overall record goes ahead of head to head matchups.

It's easy to have a couple of good/bad games. It's not easy, however, to have your team consistently winning. With approximately the same talent around them (or possibly even more for the Clips), Francis has won more games.

Francis has better numbers and wins. Suggesting that a couple of head to head matchups should override both of those is a little extreme.

18. knifejc

knifejc Member

Don't some of you guys thinks that some of the fans voting for Yao will vote for Steve just on the simple fact of familarity?

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

in what world is a head-to-head matchup more important than a teams record? miller has yet to see a glimpse of. 500 basketball but he's not the loser? obviously you have some kind of intense hatred for francis and basically it's hard to even tell if you like rockets. don't worry kobe always has room for guys on his nuts, never mind that lakers have been in the bottom 5 of worst teams this season.

20. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

He will be an all star again this year. When reading other teams bbs boards, those fans think Francis is a top three point guard along with Kidd and Payton. Remember last year he was voted in and a lot of those ballots were not from the Rocket's fan. Steve is popular around the league and even in China. Even before we draft Yao, basketball fans in China knew somewhat about Steve because of his commercials for shoes. In fairness to steve, he does have a lot of talent. Just because Miller play well against us in one game doesn't mean that he is more deserving than Steve. I don't think Miller was playing well against all the other teams like he play against us. I think the Clipper's record would be better if Miller play the same against the other team as he play against us. The same thing can be said about J Williams of the Grizzilies.
    If you go to the other team's bbs board they probably also dissed their point guard when they got school by Steve. Even though I agree that Steve could improve on his basketball decision, but we can't denied that the man is talented. And lastly, we should continue to support Steve because he is still a Rocket.