1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Silas is the right guy for this rebuild?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Sep 25, 2022.

?

Is Silas the right man for this rebuild and to take the team forward?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2022.
  1. Yes - he is doing fine

19 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No - he is too soft

42 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Maybe - Jury is out he came to coach Harden, waiting another year to decide

34 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. dmoneybangbang

And that’s your rebuilding philosophy for a coach? How are they supposed to get high draft picks?

Seems like Silas has been a perfect tanking coach. Jury is still on the rebuilding aspect.

Hate to break it to you but we are still going for a high draft pick this season.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

... and hide the wives.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you kidding? These guys are still young, and you get high draft picks by taking them out at times they are being too successful, you know tanking.

But don't just roll the ball out and say go ahead.....TEACH....

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Lol. We couldn’t win no matter how hard we tried with this roster.

Why do you assume no teaching is happening? Because of the results?

5. DaDakota

Because Silas said last year he let them play, this year he is going to focus on defense...it was a WTF moment for me....you have them for a full year and you don't work on defense? I mean.....coming from AAU and HS, they didn't get the fundamentals - time to coach em up....

DD

6. dmoneybangbang

So you took it literally…. Like Silas does no practicing, no film study, no nothing?

That’s just crazy. You severely overestimate how good our players are and where they are in development. We literally tried playing 4 rookies last year.

7. dmoneybangbang

It’s really hard to tell much regarding the coach when we are going for high draft picks for three consecutive seasons.

I doubt Silas makes long enough to coach this team to the playoffs but I am also not dismissing it.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'll give him this season and see what he does with this young squad. He said was vanilla last season with the playbook.....so we'll see what his mastermind plan is with Jalen and the crew.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a maybe for me. I think this is another year of player development and a big key will be how well he handles all these young guys.

So far, despite the valid criticisms of his rotations, I think he's done what's been asked of him successfully. While the rotations are strange at times, there may be a method to his madness such as using PT to get players to execute the way he wants them to.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is cheap, enough said.

His staff is doing a good job developing.

D-rock likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

All these comments about Silas being too gentle/soft/nice make me wonder:

Would a tougher coach have gotten Jalen off to a better start? Or would he maybe have been lost all year?

Personally, I love where our team's future superstar ended the season, and how KPJ, Sengun, and Jaygup finished strong as well. much of that credit has to go to Silas and his staff. On the other hand, KPJ's mid-season meltdown is partly their responsibility.

I think Silas has been great for us so far, when losing while simultaneously getting better was our goal. I'm not so sure about him coaching a contender, but would be willing to give him a slow hook moving forward.

#51 topfive, Sep 26, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

His comments today don't really give me confidence. Going in with the same playbook as last season (which was basically AAU style pickup hero ball) and openly being proud of it in a press conference seems like a lack of awareness that won't bode well.

I don't expect him to come in saying they are going to start running the triangle or anything, but at least show some sort of recognition of a need to improve from a system perspective, and not just saying they'll try harder, and run faster. From Kevin McHale to now Silas, I'm just getting real sick and tired of the Houston Rockets being a team that has it engrained in their culture that coaching in general is kind of overrated. I would say it was overrated back in the 80's and 90's and now its a bit underrated.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If Silas isn't the right guy, who is? (someone who is actually available)

14. DaDakota

No, I took it as he did not worry about defense and let them work through their mistakes......and that he is going to FOCUS on D, my point is he could FOCUS every day.

DD

15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

He does not look like the correct fit to be a head coach anywhere, he is likely a good assistant coach and has proven that over the years. Just because someone is an excellent assistant coach, that does not necessarily make them a great head coach.

The reality is this is and next year is a crucial year for the Rockets. If they are not competitive next season, the guys who are considered young last year and are showing improvement, will become disgruntled (we have already seen that in lower tier players like KJ), and we will have to start the process over. Many on here do not realize this, and think that tanking every year is fine since we will get a high draft pick. You will eventually miss on picks majorly with guys that will not even make it past their rookie deal. The other issue with a bad head coach / roster mismanagement and losing is that you do not see the full potential of your existing talent, and may not pay them when the time comes because you did not maximize their talent. Tracy McGrady being traded from the Raptors and James Harden from OKC come to mind. We may very well find ourselves on the other end of trading away a young super star due to mismanagement and not showing any improvement.

It is very clear (just look at the Philly Rockets and how they were formed from a mass exodus of our organization) that we do not have the infrastructure to be competitive from a coaching and front office standpoint, and Kenyon Martin Sr. pointed out there is a lot going on with the Rockets. This reeks of the late 90s Raptors org.

"couldn't stay there, bro. I had to get out. It had nothing to do with Vince (Carter), that had nothing to do with the city, it was just so much internal [expletive]."

""I'll say this, too, the infrastructure, what it is in Toronto now, had it been back then, there's no doubt I would've stayed in Toronto." - TMac

People should really prepare themselves for us losing Green in a couple of years if we do not get a new head coach. Keep in Mind Butch Carter got the Raptors to the playoffs, and was fired the season TMac was traded. Scott brooks was also fired a couple seasons after the Harden trade. Firing the coach before trading your star player seems like a smarter move than waiting until after the player is gone and then you end up firing the coach anyways.

fattz and charlieaustin like this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

After reading the thread, the question is where are we as an organization? What the objective for this year? From what I have witnessed with last two drafts and the development of the players less Garuba (injured) what is not to like? Silas has done a GREAT job at taking us out of games and keeping the players believing in themselves at the same time. At times over the past few years it’s almost comical how we lose. All the while keeping the end goal of a high draft pick.

My thought is if one can take a bomb apart and not kill anyone than that same person can put it back together too. AND probably build a better bomb if asked.

Most here want a hard a$$ coach, BUT would turn on that same coach when he loses the locker-room. These players are so young in a lot of ways and need to be somewhat nurtured. Times have changed and so has coaching & teaching. Younger adults as a whole are sincerely hyper-sensitive compared to generations before them. Some my act tough on the out side but most just raw. I don’t know if it’s the pandemic, social media or the parenting of generation X. As a whole they don’t take redirection from anyone very well. (There are obviously exceptions)

I am not a Silas fan but can’t complain about what he has done for the organization so far.

If a Martin’s dad wants to cry about his son’s playing time and that is a true concern then we are doing something wrong by acting like his feelings matter to the organization.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

I mean it’s not like the coaches didn’t preach anything about defense as you could see coaches talking to players when they left the court. I don’t believe they didn’t do any film study regarding defense. I think it's more of a "we have a bunch of rookies and young players" so I need to make things are simple as possible.

18. PWR

PWR Member

My vote is "Hell No".

When I think about a coach who executed a quick and brilliant rebuild, I think about Mark Jackson.

Don Nelson and Keith Smart were the head coaches during Curry's first 2 years when they sucked. Then Mark Jackson came in.

Year 1 of Mark Jackson rebuild - Steph(3rd year) and Klay(rook) finished with a record of 23-43 during the NBA lockout season.

Year 2 of Mark Jackson rebuild - Steph, Klay(soph), Harrison Barnes(rook) & Draymond(rook) finished 47-35. Saw immediate improvement. Mark took his young core and won games because he knew what the hell he was doing.

Year 3 of Mark Jackson rebuild - Steph, Klay(3rd year), Harrison Barnes(soph) & Draymond(soph) finished 51-31. Rebuild complete.

Then, they fired Mark Jackson after all his hard work and gave his rebuilt team to Steve Kerr. Kerr took Jackson's already rebuilt team and won 67 games and the championship the next season.

Now, try to compare Silas's rebuilding years to those of a rebuilding genius like Mark Jackson. That's the standard I'm looking for. Stone asking for patience for a 10 year rebuild is ridiculous.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think Silas has gotten a raw deal by those calling for his head. I know I'm in the minority, but I like his attitude, his patient approach, and laid back style. I don't think you can give him a final grade based on the circumstances, and this year I hope we see folks backtracking on their current assessment. We got glimpses of how good the team could be during stretches of individual games last year, but I won't be surprised if this team catches lightning in a bottle for several stretches of games during the season. It might not translate into a winning season, but we'll see a huge step forward.

If they do, Silas should receive some credit for it. I'll just go put on my fireproof flame jacket now...

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Anybody not named Silas….Van Gundy to start. He has one one of the worst overall records in NBA history, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find former NBA coaches. Heck, give John Lucas a shot…