1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Silas is the right guy for this rebuild?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Sep 25, 2022.

?

Is Silas the right man for this rebuild and to take the team forward?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2022.
  1. Yes - he is doing fine

19 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No - he is too soft

42 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Maybe - Jury is out he came to coach Harden, waiting another year to decide

34 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Teaching his system on both offense and defense, showing young players how to be successful in the NBA game.

Have a system that they learn to rely on in crunch time.

So far, I haven't seen any of that.

DD

persian hoopa and Dobbizzle like this.
  2. fattz

fattz Member

Silas has stayed focused in the tank giving us top picks in back to back years. His rotations and lack of corrections are obviously working to keep us high in the lottery. He does seem to keep the younger players playing hard and trying to win only to lose in the closing moments. That is an art to lose and not develop losing habits. The coach has wrecked his career by doing this.

Taking on this new coaching staff, most of which are more successful than him, shows he clueless or braver than he should be.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

LMMFAO!!!! You called us intelligent!

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Silas didn’t like to play our talented rookies last season. Instead he gave those undrafted or NBDL scrubs tons of playing time.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There is no chance that all the successful people of various roles would have the same personality. It's not how human assets work, and it would be a nightmare working for a person who thinks that way. The only thing that makes players voluntarily shift habits is inspiration or sadly trauma. Attempting to do something like that (seeking the same behavior from people of various personalities) depresses productivity and creativity.

I don't know about Silas' ability to outcoach others in playoff games which is the deciding factor for me, but we're not close to being in a playoff series where our odds are similar to our opponents so we have time. I have seen him do excellent things for these players. The way he has rebuilt KPJ and Green's game was meticulous, detailed and ultimately successful even if not complete yet. The Cavs and Ignite totally failed at achieving the same thing. The young guys are the most inspired I've seen to work on their game off the court and that doesn't happen without a coach who is getting through to them.

I also think he did a great job acting like he's not tanking while doing exactly what we needed to secure a top pick without sacrificing player development too much. It was not easy to manage Wall, Wood and KPJ's personalities in a losing season which typically inflames players. KPJ responded well to his own f*ck up of leaving the game. His performances improved afterwards. Wood was a goner anyway there was no sense reducing his value by punishing him a lot publicly.

I love that he was around to watch Lebron, Curry, Doncic flourish. You can debate his level of involvement, but I definitely see value in someone who has seen several historically elite players being born by luck or merit I don't care.

Definitely deserves a chance. This is the first time he's going to install a full offense and hold players actually accountable for defense. We were tanking and you can't tank with the coach and players maximizing every single thing they normally would. It's just not realistic what some people are thinking. The Rockets didn't want to win and do everything perfect last season, regardless of whether you agree with the idea of tanking. That's the reality of the situation. Go on any tanking team's twitterverse or reddit or forum. Same thing going on, that's what tanking looks like: poor "unintended" choices.

#25 Mathloom, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Silas is the perfect coach for this young team.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets were absolutely tanking.

If not then Silas is even more inept than we could possibly imagine.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, anyone could tank with the roster we had in the past two years. It's hard to tank while not wrecking players' confidence.

In an ironic way, Silas was lucky stepping into a rock bottom situation right when the franchise player forced his way out. He has been given a lot of slack because they were not expected to win.

The honeymoon is over. The coming two seasons is going to test his real worth. No more excuses.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm curious how this season will go, because the rookies last season definitely had clear moments of "rookie treatment" from Silas. However, the biggest difference is last season's rookies (namely Green and Sengun) are very offensively talented, but still need a lot of development on defense. This season's rookies on the other hand are all known specifically for having strong defensive tenacity and instincts, which historically is a trait that a lot of coaches favor for young players. I expect their minutes to be a lot more consistent, but if not, I would have questions on Silas' rotations.

D-rock likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

Silas has the ability to shut players down with out putting heat on them or himself: Wall, Gordon, Wood & even Green’s (ankle that look way to long to return from & up on his return his game smooth out a little). This gives the next man up playing time. Learning is happening just so many players need help and it’s a team game so each player effects the next players play making it difficult to see. (like a jr. high band)

11. fattz

fattz Member

Silas got us Green & Smith while Stone got the others.

12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Silas is the type of guy that would give you a limp handshake.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

so far from what we saw the last 2 seasons, silas isn’t the right coach for a rebuilding team. he is a championship level coach

14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Definitely…

NO!

15. PatBev

PatBev Member

I need to see the organization as a whole try to win before I start pointing the finger

Our team had gleaguers, I drafted rookies, and overall not built to win

To blame KPJ or Silas I need Stone to at least try for a competitive roster which I think ours is not

Easy and Newlin like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's the right guy for the hopeless seasons, but when the team actually wants to win, they need to invest in a real coach.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes.

Expansion teams and total rebuilding teams are much the same.
    They require a disposable coach that often becomes the scapegoat.

I recommended Abdelfattah but the Rockets went with Silas.
    These young coaches benefit by getting experience running the show.

But now that Silas was hired, I'm for him getting a fair chance.

I believe someone posted a video of KPj done by Chop Shop vs
    the Kings towards the end of the season. You can clearly see
    Fernando and Garuba screen and roll the whole game. Something
    Wood did not do.

In the same game you can see a clip where the Rockets actually run the
    Spain Pick-n-Roll. KPj was the ball handler....first screen was set.....and for
    some reason Jalen Green was the second screener..... narrator states that
    Jalen Green missed his assignment and appeared to screen KPj
    accidentally. But KPj improvised and made it work.

This season we will see plain screen PnR's, Spain PnR's, weave, dribble handoffs,
    backdoor cuts, regular cuts and slashing, and Silas claims counters will be added
    upon layers instead of just a simple segment of a set play.

It will take up until Dec for guys to be on the same page as far as
    timing goes as it's a read and react offense and some will zig when
    they should've zagged.....but the schedule is brutal in the first 25 games
    anyway. Rockets might be lucky to win about 8-10 of those games.

So the question is......will the Rockets higher ups have the patience
    to get past the first 20 games or so?

I know the fans won't.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

None of us are at practices, at meetings, in the huddle on the sidelines or have ANY of the necessary information to know either way. All that on top of the fact that we were actively trying to have one of, if not the worst teams in the league the last 2 years. Talent matters infinitely more than coaching.

harold bingo likes this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hire Ime Udoka next summer

20. conquistador#11

I wasn't feeling it but seeing his patience the past 2 seasons has swayed me. This doesn't mean I'm endorsing him for the next 3 years but for the rebuild he is perfect.
    The only thing that worried me was his staggering of minutes. KPJ and Green should not be on the bench at the same time. But now that there are so many young promising players as back ups I won't be that bothered by it. The German won't be cutting into Josh's minutes when Josh is on a tear.