1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Sengun is the Rockets best player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 26, 2023.

?

Is Sengun the Rockets best player?

1. Yes

81.0%
  2. No

19.0%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It’s a skill sport. Sengun is the best player on this team.

HP3, cml750, Hakeemtheking and 3 others like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tari is the best hustler

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's not the only THAT guy. It's a team sport. Jabari, Sengun and others are keys to making it all work. It's not just about scoring. It's working as a team defensively and offensively, and moving the ball well. Right now Sengun, our center is a better passer than Jalen, and if Jalen is our future point guard, that's an area he needs to improve on. His assist to turnover ratio pales to VanVleet. He can score big at times, and is fun to watch, but he has to be able to pass better, and feed the other guys shots as well.

HardenReturns likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Jabari has really impressed me. He is going to be a huge asset to this team. He's already scoring double doubles at a very young age. I can't wait to watch him progress this year. I think it's going to be huge.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jalen is never supposed to be a PG.

He's a sg. His playmaking will be equivalent to guys like Booker if he makes the necessary progression.

His most important role for his teammates as a scorer is his gravity. Opposing defenses try to blitz Green with multiple defenders when he turns the corner off a screen and that leads to a lot of hockey assist type plays.

That's how he helps his team on offense

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Damn. That's rough being so wrong, I would be embarrassed to be parroting the same dumb takes.

cmoak1982 and HardenReturns like this.
  7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Alpi is getting his well deserved flowers. Jalen is learning how to use his skills better and flashing huge scoring potential. Jabari is quickly becoming a consistent monster, just give him a couple more seasons to see him dominate.

The future is bright.

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

He still needs to get better at passing. That's one of his biggest weaknesses. Yes, I agree that his ability to score is his greatest asset. He's fun to watch, and I'm glad he's on our team. I also think some of the others' roles are equally important. It takes them all to make us great. I love our defense, and we looked great against Denver. There's nobody I don't like on this team. We have some hustlers out there fighting for that ball. VanVleet was awesome last night feeding players the ball so much with only one turnover. Sengun had some nice assists as well, and will unselfishly pass it off or feed a player when he sees an opportunity. I love our ball movement.

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

This guy was one of the more vocal people favoring Fernando over Sengun.

Just keep moving the goal posts so you’re never wrong

10. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Face to face with fundamentals, IQ, discipline and responsibility, God-given talent amounts to sheet.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Allah has given it to Alpe.

12. fchowd0311

Not debating that Green being better than Sengun. Sengun has already earned the right to be called a star.

But the traits you listed are things different humans obtain at different rates many times and different times.

Also nothing suggests that Green isn't "responsible". Do you have any reports that he doesn't take care of his sleep schedule, nutrition, workouts, humbleness to listen to coaches and vets?

13. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

And the same Almighty chose to make him a pudgy boy who had to earn every gram of muscle and every inch of elevation he has the hard way...
    You know what I mean: Americans tend to confuse talent with physique and athleticism; that's why I went along with the word.
    Take away that fast first step and incredible elevation and what's Jalen left with? I'll tell you: not much.
    Because he doesn't have much talent.
    There is a reason some NBA careers are much longer than others.

NewAge likes this.
  14. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

I wasn't targeting Jalen's (lack of?) discipline with my comment.
    It's just that the "talent" people here speak of is one injury away from going "poof" and has an expiration date in any case.
    I have nothing against Jalen the person (and I don't care if he paints his nails etc) but if your decision making is the same as 3 years ago and you still haven't fixed that ugly and unreliable shot of yours, man - you are lacking in several departments.

15. fchowd0311

Jalen is incredibly coordinated gifted athlete with good footwork, coordination, balance etc.

Him being inefficient for his career is a product of almost every young scoring guard in league history at his age. Literally almost everyone.

To say he's just an athlete with no talent is absurd.

And the irony here is your lack of self awareness with your generation of how Americans view talent and skill.

These are all cliche concepts that everyone understands. The slfac that you think it requires some superior Intelligence that Americans in general don't have about the sport tells me these are new things you learned.

Please spit knowledge to us Americans about what talent and skill are in basketball.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

You definitely sound like you have a personal issue with Jalen.

And that is your description of Jalen's progressions. But I like how you say these things as a matter of fact.

Green even to this day is still experiencing new concepts and learning on the fly while trying to learn a new defense and new offensive system. Just because Alpi is ahead of him now doesn't mean Green hasn't progressed.

clos4life and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree, a lot is athleticism, his body control is not bad though.

If he is just a jump shooter, I do not know.....

18. fchowd0311

Green is one of those guys who would learn a dance move quickly because he has good foot coordination. Can show you many times where he has coordinated footwork at ultra high speeds while being able to a soft touch around the rim.

People confuse consistency with ability. @HardenReturns would I say that's how Europeans miss evaluate talent? Nah, not as stupid as you.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  19. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Hey brother! I think this basketball intelligence thing is related to how American players train early when they are really young versus non-American players, especially the the ones coming from Europe. There is no organized basketball in the States once a kid has a growth spurt. They usually play AAU basketball, which values flashy basketball. European players usually has limited athletes but also train under professional coaches for professional organizations. Good ones and tall ones usually play with older guys and sometimes even play with the professional teams. So they learn fundamentals, reading the game at an early age. That's why you see Jokic, Sengun, Sabonis are playing like team players because thats what they learn at a young age, especially the Serbian ones. Look at Greek Freak! He is physically a gifted player. Yet, he is also plays for his teammates.

When people speak of intelligence or BBQ, it has nothing to do with intelligence of a player. It is a skill that you learn with training. Unfortunately, we stopped teaching our kids that skill because of ESPN flashy, commercialized basketball we force our kids to play. There used to be a difference between Harlem Globetrotters and NBA teams, if you know what I mean.

Jalen is a gifted athletic flashy player. Now he needs to learn to play team basketball...winning basketball...there is nothing wrong with that!

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

Jalen Green has got more than elite athleticism. He’s got decent hand dexterity (shooting and dribbling) and good decision-making on the pass. He’s not elite in these other areas, however this league has seen far, far worse in terms of elite one-dimensional athletes. His skill-set is decent and he was deserving of 2nd pick in the draft.

What was incredibly disappointing the first couple of years was the meek personality, lack of toughness and competitiveness. These seem to be addressed this year under Udoka; it’s still early to pronounce victory, but things look promising.