1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Morey should be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Should Morey be fired

1. Yes

364 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No

821 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The deal for mcgrady was billups or rip and mcdyess for mcgrady. The same deal that sent chauncey to denver was the one on the table for mcgrady.

I've said on record that I think morey has been solid. His best assett seems to be late round rotation guys. That's nothing to sneeze at,but I don't see the ability to get that high or medium upside guy in the middle of the pack. I mean there have been some bums drafted at the end of the lotto,but there have also been some gems or good players like danny granger,hibbert,and guys like that. We will see what kind of player with upside he will draft this year and going forward.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

-Still many more to go.
    -9th seed yearly even though given the ultimatum to compete.
    -500 yearly which goes with the 9th seed pretty much
    -15th pick yearly limiting the potential to compete
    -losing out on all those players he tried to go after and not hitting once
    -failure to move Scola or Martin regardless of Gasol trade for something of value at their top value
    -Brad Miller
    -Joey Dorsey

New list of things just thought up at random:
    -passed up on Faried in favor of Patterson
    -inability to challenge Les Alexanders team direction
    -moneyball so far not turning this into a playoff team
    -telling the whole league his players are available and making them angry with him or causing a distraction
    -Assets mantra

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Bingo. Rep'd.

Results. Not excuses.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He showed up at the guy's front door. He considered him, in the first place. Morey doesn't go around trying to get every free agent, like other teams do. If he's going after you to sign a deal, then he values you pretty highly. The offer itself isn't indicative of the value Morey placed on gortat, but rather the way he does business. He did it with Scola and Lowry as well.

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

1. First year without Yao and we get in the playoffs for sure if Stern doesn't step in.
    2. The next few are you just saying previous things again in different ways
    3. I hated not moving Scola/Martin but maybe there is some truth to teams not wanting to take players in the shortened season with no practice time but who knows.
    4. Brad didn't really hurt or help
    5. Dorsey was a 2nd round bust but he's so many good 2nd round picks
    6. Pat is 2010 Faried is 2011
    7. I'd have to know if Les was open to being swayed off that stance

I think Morey has done a pretty good job given the circumstances over the last few years but I agree he could have done a little better. I'm with you that if he doesn't make big moves this offseason/season he's got to go.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Our expectations and definition of results are very likely different than what Les' are....I'm sure he'd rather be in the playoffs and a contender, but He's been around long enough to know it's not realistic to lose your stars and be back in the playoff mix within 2 seasons. I'm sure he also knows, that even if you tank, you won't be back within 2 seasons. The average is closer to 4-6 years. This is year 2, and we'e right otuside the foor knocking. I know fans classify it as failure, but I wouldnt be surprised if Les thought it was great because he realizes he's ahead of the curve.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I do not want him fired. I want to trade up in this supposed deep draft. Take a shot at one of those young guys. I dont care what it costs. If it means rebuilding to do so? Then so what. Take Lowry and the first round pick and trade up into top 8. If it takes more to get there? One more player included? So be it. Add that player. Add Montajunas in the trade. Add Patterson or Morris. Overpay finally.

Get higher in this draft. Sign people in free agency if you want to compete still. Trade Scola and go younger.

9. deshen

deshen Member

Exactly, injury is part of the game and it's been with this team for quiet some time. Morey took over a good team. It is not your job or mine to maintain the success of that team and improve. It is GM who need do whatever they can through trade, draft and change of coaching staff.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

After you rebuild by taking that younger player? The big trade that gets rid of Lowryand a draft pick and maybe some other guys that makes our team less deep? We lose more and get another top 8 pick to add to this years young player we drafted. Sign free agents with the huge amount of cash we have. Then you actually do have a young playoff team that competes for years.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You understand this concept? Trade up this year get top 8 talent by overpaying. Maybe lose this year because we overpaid. Then next year have a top draft pick to pair with this years draft pick plus a boal load of money to throw at free agents? Do you really understand that concept or do you really want to be wrong again at the end of next year and back at 500 again?

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

and???? here is the kicker. Who says we have to lose if Morey hits on his draft pick within the top 8? What if he gets the superstar and we start winning? Then he goes into free agency with money still. Adds to that superstar. All he has to do is overpay in this years draft and take a chance for one of those two scenarios I laid out to happen. To move up in the draft.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Ok let me tell you what I do want Morey fired for now if it happens. He draft at 13 and 17 and gets marginal talented role players again. We end up 8th or 9th best again and go nowhere for another year. I want him fired then if that happens.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is how I look at it. I think firing Adelman (which is what happened, in my opinion. others can call what they will) was Les. In my opinion, he simply didn't like him, and wanted a name who was more comfortable with the media, and easier for him to get along with. And that's a pretty ****ing stupid reason to force out a coach who only wins, and even more stupid in regards to McHale. I think Morey's hands are tied. As has been said, he's been tasked to create a team that can contend without being bad enough to get a high lottery pick. So he keeps trying to get around that limitation. Agree with the Gasol/Nene, or disagree, it would have been a huge move. IMO, it would have led to Morey resigning Chuck, who was waiting to sign his contract with the Kings because he was still hoping to stay here, at least I recall reading that at the time. Those are three huge changes in the lineup compared to what we see today, Scola, Martin, and Dragic would be gone (which would have left me with very mixed feelings), and it was all ruined by an out of control Stern. We'll never know what dominos would have fallen after the deal, or how the season would have gone, but it isn't like he was unable to make a major move. No one could have predicted Stern's response.

Like you, I think the real problem is Alexander. Having said that, General Managers can get fired for having records like Morey has had since he took the job. It would be in character for Alexander to blame management for everything and toss Morey. I think it would be a mistake, but it hasn't stopped him from doing what he likes in the past. I wouldn't be at all surprised if McHale quit after the season from a near terminal case of sheer misery. That would give Alexander a clean slate all the way around, wouldn't it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Don't forget the pathetic email campaign asking fans to beg Gortat to sign with the Rockets. I'm sure he got a good laugh out of that too.

Edit: I still can't believe Morey lowballed a legit big man like Gortat (who filled a team need) and then fed the public that bs about "attaching a value to Gortat" that they weren't willing to go over. All the Morey apologists bought the propaganda and began repeating it on Clutchfans like clockwork, smh.

The Rockets didn't use their mle that year. Obviously you didn't watch Gortat play in Orlando. The guy always produced when he got minutes.

#355 Kwame, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Yes and thanks for reminding me: Morey's unwillingness to pay! How can you expect to get a center like Gortat for a few million? How you can expect a player to be loyal when you do not extend his contract? How can you expect a player wanting come here when they see the team is being treated like assets with low-ball offers and no extensions?

GMs, agents, players talk! They see what's going on. Don't think for a second they do not know what kind of GM Morey is: a business stats geek who sees this whole thing like a game with the players being the chips and moving them around until he hits jackpot. He's going to keep moving everything around until he gets that one big hit.

1 person likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yep.

DD

18. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS TEAM!!!!

BEING 9th SEED FOR THE PAST 3 YRS!!!

IS THE WORST YOU CAN BE......

BLOW IT UP or SPEND THE $$$$$$$$$$!!! Since no superstar is coming here .......... BLOW THIS MUTHA UP!!!

19. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Faried was in the draft class after Patterson

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

Les can get huge profit from this mediocre team. That's the problem.

Les is cheap and all about $$$. He will never sell the team. You will never have a contending team under Les.

I do not think Morey will work for Les very long time.