1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Jordan Hill's tenure as a Rocket is numbered?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Mar 8, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, that's easy. Adelman likes to keep his "key" players in the roles they are used to playing. Since Patterson has flourished as a backup coming in and playing a majority of his minutes alongside Brad Miller, Adelman did not want to disrupt Patterson's effectiveness.

Starting Jordan Hill had little to do with anything that Hill deserved. It was almost exclusively about making sure that PATTERSON was utilized in the best way possible.

On Jordan Hill generally, . . . never been a huge fan. To this day, I still assert that he was not much more than a "throw-in" in the T-Mac trade (so don't get belligerent with Morey about his eye for talent). The up-to-the-trade-deadline negotiations were all about the protection on the first round pick/swap, not Hill. As for Hill's inclusion, the Knicks had such a bad roster (and were absolutely against trading Danilo Gallinari) that Hill was simply the best young prospect that the Rockets could squeeze out of New York.

While I still hold out hope that Hill will develop into a competent NBA player, I am more and more convinced that Morey will decline the 2012-13 option on Hill this October. If Hill sucks next year, you can cut ties with him easily and clear cap space. If Hill "gets it" and has a great year, then you just say "oops!" and pay the man his money (or not and let him walk in free agency).

(Oh, and while I do believe that--as of this moment in time--Hill is a better player than Hasheem Thabeet, people shouldn't be pointing to the fact that Hill plays over Thabeet as some sort of validation of Hill. If Thabeet had been with the Rockets all season (including training camp) and Hill was the one who just got traded to Houston, I can guarantee you that Thabeet would be ahead of Hill on the depth chart at center.)

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Regardless of Hill's BBIQ and motivation, his ability to have a role on a team as a defensive minded big off the bench is not that far away from being valuable to either the Rockets or another team.

With Terrence you hit the nail on the head, best player on a YMCA team. The likelyhood of him adjusting into a role player is far less concievable in my eyes. He doesn't need to develop, he just has to totally change the way he plays the game of basketball and interacts with his coaches.

People compare Hill to Mikki Moore alot on here as a knock on Hill but Mikki Moore actually played a role on alot of teams and actually had a decently long career in the NBA regardless of never being a complete player with little motivation and BBIQ. If Hill just cleans up the mistakes he will at least be serviceable as a backup and have a much longer career than Terrence.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

If Phoenix makes the playoffs that most likely means the Rockets dont, so in my eyes NO.

4. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

There's really no use for Hill on the Rockets anymore. We already have an excellent power forward in Scola and an up-and-coming beast in Pat. Jordan's best chance for becoming something useful to us would be if he added a ton of muscle and started working on becoming a serviceable backup C. Well, now that we acquired a taller backup C project in Thabeet, there goes that.

Hill and Thabeet are both dumb and soft, but at least Thabeet seems to understand that his value in this league comes from the ability to defend, rebound, and block shots. When Jordan started in Chuck's place those couple weeks, he complained about not getting enough touches on offense. What he failed to understand is we already have enough offensive players and what we really needed was defense from that 5 spot. I admit, I had some hope for him when he said he was ready to be that "long, tall dude" his team needs. But he seems to have regressed since then and now we have Thabeet. So no more need for Project Jordan Hill.

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Member

I agree with y'all on his present ability, but not so much on his future.

I don't see any point in arguing it, though; it all depends on him. The passion hasn't really ignited in him yet.

I also must add, many of these same things were said about Yao Ming in his first couple of years. People complained about his softness for more than a couple of years.

We'll see what happens.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Sadly, I have to agree with that!

Hill looked an interesting prospect out of college --> nice face up jumper, very long for the PF spot, good enough athleticism for the spot.

My thought was that he'd need to work on his post game - but I think the reason he had no post game is that he has no feel for the game :(
    You can survive on certain abilities and being taller than everyone else while at college - but it catches up with you pretty fast in the pros...

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Frontourt +/-

Scola +211
    Hayes +89
    Miller +47
    Patterson -39
    Hill -137

Adjusted +/- (which takes into account who you get to play with)
    Scola +2.30
    Miller - 0.60
    Hayes -1.79
    Hill - 12.01

Patterson hasn't played enough minutes to gauge a true adjusted +/-, he dosen't get to play with our 2 best players (scola and lowry) so his adjusted number will better than his his regular +/-.

Hill is clearly this teams weak link. Miller look terrible in Phoenix, but all in all this year he has been an acceptable backup, Hill on the other hand has been a complete train regardless of who he plays with.

8. choujie

choujie Member

Sadly, Hill is a poor man's Stro at this stage.

Both are clueless on the court, but Stro was a better athlete, better rebounder, better shooter and even better defender in general.

9. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Just crossed paths with Hill in the TC parking lot basement a couple hours ago. Maybe he was headed to practice. Idk. Nice enough fella. Happy-go-lucky even. We didn't chat it up. I just said what's up and gave him some dap.
    On a side note........man they take a bunch of security measures to get into that place. By the time they were done I figured Barack was gonna be at the end of the corridor.

10. koopa

koopa Member

Lol agree with threadstarter..patterson is already doing better in his first season thaan what Hill did in 3 seasons..hill just flat out lacks self confidence in the basketball court..he has all the potential but lacks the IQ and confidence.