1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Harden will be average defender next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Harden will be a ...

1. Above average defender

37 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Average defender

128 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. Below Average

94 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. Same Defense as last year

95 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

o.o i wouldn't say rocket's championship hopes ride on solely just harden playing D...i mean he has to also perform well in the play offs too. the whole team has to come together for a dynasty to happen. no more iso ball.

2. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I am hoping that he is average, but I have no tangible reason to believe that he will have any significant improvement.

It is just so frustrating because it is an effort issue on his end.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Harden was a below average defender last season, but not as bad as his reputation suggests. He was good for two or three breakdowns a game, other than that he was okay.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

He won't have to defend against the other teams best guy so he will still be the same.

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why r there always so ridiculous threads?
    Do u think u should eat foods ?

6. treeman

treeman Member

His problem is not skill, it's effort. If he can be motivated - likely by an external source, be it getting a bad rep as a defender (already there) or having a good defensive coach riding his a$$ - then he can be an above average defender. When he actually put effort into it last season, he proved to be a perfectly capable defender. Of course, he rarely put any effort into it.

It's an impossible question to answer at this point. The ability is there, the motivation is not. That is easily fixable (as opposed to lack of ability). It's also easy to continue to ignore as long as he is scoring like a maniac.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As bad as Harden is at putting effort on the defensive end, a new coach would most likely do wonders. Give him a coach with an actual defensive scheme for a change and I think he'd be fine.

1 person likes this.
  8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He'll play average defense, but people won't consider him an average defender.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is how I see it playing out. He will play better defense, but it will largely go unnoticed and overshadowed because of some bad defensive plays.

10. NotChandlerParsons

He's a good defender. Probably won't make the team though.

11. xrym

xrym Member

It is just not something that is in his mind. Hope his offense could leverage his poor defence.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm figurin that given the scrutiny his defense has received, I expect him to focus more often resulting in overall average defender...

13. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

It's not like his defense could get worse. But I'm banking on his defense becoming above average.

Now what I really want is for Harden to still shoot the ball, but for the ball to get passed around 4-5 times before he does.

14. traveler

traveler Member

lol

This. With the team as it stands now we will need Harden to play just as many minutes. Howard too.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Couldn't care less of some random fans don't notice it. If he improves and we see it, I'm happy.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He's a prideful guy and he heard the criticism, I think he will try to play better D.
    I'd have some small worry that if he does his offense will suffer. There is just so much energy you can expend; maybe he won't average over 35 minutes in the regular season.

17. anchel

anchel Member

Will never be above average. Below average but respectable would be enough.

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

im gonna assume the coaching staff improves and puts emphasis on defense, so yeah he'll be an average defender.

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i expect him to be better, he said it was going to be his off season focus

20. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I really wonder who voted "Above Average" lol