1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Game 2 was called fairly?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Apr 24, 2007.

1. ham

ham Member

Except that that play should not have been called a foul by any means.

2. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

We got more foul shots because our players know how to draw fouls. The Utah Jazz over-defend to the point of being predictable. Once you figure this out, you can draw them into committing fouls, ESPECIALLY on the perimeter where they are constantly swiping at the ball, handchecking, and trying to crowd our shooters so they don't have room to get off a shot.

I mean, playing hard is one thing. Our players play good defense and are not foul prone. Utah plays good defense by being over-physical, and they lead the league in fouls. Our players are smart, and they took advantage.

Do you really think our team is shooting so poorly because of luck and shot selection? Our ballhandlers are getting fouled everytime they bring the ball up, our shooters are constantly getting knocked during jumpshots, and everytime we drive to the paint we get tackled. How do you fight back? Emphasize the foul, get the call, hit your foul shots, and crash the offensive boards.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Teamsters Local 222
    Bandwagoner

The Jazz won't beat Houston! If anything the Jazz are helping houston into the second round well rested, and if this is the case the Rockets will go deep and maybe to the conf finals! Why ? You might ask! Because of Yao & what the league thinks he can do for sales being he's a jap. Remember fanzz its all about the all mighty dollar. Salt Lake City we have a problem! Houston in 5!!

So I decided to check out their forum. I ran across this idiot that made me LOL.

4. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

I don't care if they get half as many calls as we do...

they are fouling yao nearly every single possession.

yes i am biased and no I will never be satisfied.

tmac and yao are superstars. too bad if your team doesn't have any.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Jazz didn't play as hard in game one. They lost. You knew sloan was on them for not putting in enough effort. And for anyone who's watched sloan teams for a long time, knows that means the Jazz are going to get more physical. Seemed the rockets expected this, and found ways to get to the line because of it.

I do agree with several, however, that the first period the Jazz seemed to get the better end of the calls, and the second it went more our way. I absolutely do not think we had the refs calling it our way from "tipoff to buzzer"... and I also think that the calls, as they often do, went to the team that was more aggressive and confident.

I suspect that with the discrepency in the number of free throws, however right or wrong, combined with all the jazz complaining (Man, reading those threads is tough, they just go OFF, though some have some sense), that we are going to have to play MUCH better in Utah if we want at least one win while we are there. Good thing is, I expect we will play better... we are due.

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Whoever said the Jazz shooting foul calls were on the Rockets 30 feet from the basket musta been watching a different game than the one I saw. T-Mac got the whistle on one maybe 2 jumpshots all night. Yao got the whistle on a jumpshot where Okur hit his hand and caused an air-ball. Yao doesnt shoot an airball from 8 feet(especially a short one) without "help" from whoever is on him.

The only complaint Jazz fans have should be that the refs tightened it up in teh 2nd half. Alot of what was whistled on Utah in the 2nd was let go in the first(handchecking and slapping mainly)..... Goes back to consistency. Since Utah slaps and handchecks a LOT more than the Rockets, they set themselves up for that kind of situation.

7. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I've watched the Rockets for years, and I'm more of a mavs hater than a jazz hater. It's this simple: I hated karl malone, not the team. As for the mavs, I hate the city, not the team. The team is incredibly talented, but they play for a (expletive delted) city in Oklahoma.

That said, I thought the only thing questionable was the complete LACK of calls in the first half for fouls on Yao. I swear, you could've chopped his head off and not gotten called for a foul. I didn't see the second half (benadryl knocked me out), so I don't know if it improved from there. I don't really expect it though; it's par for the course. "Permissible contact" is just crap.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The Refs hardly ever give Yao Ming a fair shake down! At least 20 fouls per game not called. :p

9. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

I'm not a Jazz fan but I think they're nice guys like the rockets. So pls don't compare them with the Mavs, they're not going to hate us. If things get too physical, we'll see. :)

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

look, if the calls were reversed, all of you would be filling the GARM with senseless whining about the officiating too.

read some of the posts about how the Utah fans think Yao and Tmac get the superstar calls. oh really? b/c whenever i read this board, all i see is posts about how Yao and Tmac dont' get any respect. so your opinion isn't any more right than theirs, even when it comes to complaining about fouls.

11. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

I want to take what others have posted and expand on it. Like others have said, 8 of the Rockets free throws were from fouls called late so the Jazz could stop the clock, so while the game was still being decided, it was 30-17 which is still a big difference.

Point 1:
    But, to point of the Jazz shooting more jumpers, it's true. Look at the shot chart from game two for both teams. The Rockets attempted 25 dunks/layups while the Jazz attempted 20 dunks/layups, so they did attack the basket more.

Also, Yao works close to the basket and you're more likely to get a foul call there where as Boozer and Okur operated mostly as jump shooters in game two. You get foul calls when you attack the basket and have a dominant low post presence, the Rockets have both.

Point 2:
    The Jazz committed 82 more personal fouls than any other team in the league this year and they committed 357 more personal fouls than the Rockets this season. They're style of play of being physical makes them more prone to get fouls called against them.

Plus, the hand checking and reach ins on Tracy and Rafer by Giricek and the gang 30 feet from the basket went mostly uncalled. So let's no one make it out like the Jazz got completly hosed.

All of this being said, sure there was a little home cooking involved, it happens in every NBA game ever played; especially in the playoffs.

So no Jazz fans, the refs aren't out to get you and the Rockets didn't shoot more freethrows just because they have bigger stars. The better team won both games and cheer up, because I'm sure you'll get some home cooking foul calls the next two games in Salt Lake.

12. yaominn

yaominn Member

yao did not get td's treatment, tmac did not get wade's treatment.

13. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I would of never known that the free throws were one sided by just watching the game. now it may be because im a homer but the game was called fair. other than a few calls on yao and a foul they called on boozer (when he blocked rafer) i really cant remember thinking that the refs were calling bad the other night - and im not even considering mcgrady getting fouled on more than 1 jumpshot clearly. the rockets, mcgrady, were more aggresive PLUS it helps when chuck is outside guarding a spot up shooter and not adding to our team fouls early.

14. Sextuple Double

Isn't this the same Jazz team that led the league in fouls committed and free throws allowed. If they keep at that rate, they should expect nothing less esp when playing against the league's best center and an MVP candidate. We were taking it to the rim constantly while Boozer was drilling us with 17ft rainbows. We probably made 20% of our outside shots. And those shots wasn't even contested well. We're one of the few good road teams in the league, so it wouldn't surprise me to see these shots start falling in their building.

This is what happens when Yao is treated fairly. People just aren't used to seeing Yao getting respect. They're used to Yao getting ticky-tack calls and then hacking away at him on the other end while the refs decide they don't have enough breath to blow the whistle. FACE THE FACTS, YAO IS GETTING RESPECT.

Someone should make up a thread about us getting screwed in Game2, register on their forum, and provide the link to the thread about Rockets' fans being pissed with Game2 reffing.

15. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

16. awo86

awo86 Rookie

honestly...that t-mac strip that somehow goes to dallas at the end of that game....pisses me off.

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who the f*ck cares. We got fu*king hosed in '96-'97! We got fuc*ing hosed in '97-'98! We got *ucking hosed in '05 against Dallas! So forgive me if I join the "f*cking r****ds" on this board in saying karma is a b****!

18. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Dont forget 95-96 when the Sonics were playing a zone defense the whole series and there was maybe 1 Illegal D call per game on them...

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i thought it was an ok game from an officiating standpoint.

the first half they were obviously letting them play, so i can ignore some of the hacks okur had on yao with no whistles b/c on the other end they allowed yao to get away with some as well.

The 2nd half they tightened it up a bit. a few calls were bad, but i think those were makeup calls from the previous play.

the worst call was obviously the battier one, imo.

to the refs credit, they werent falling for Fishers flopping.

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i'm just sayin man...

let's be happy the rockets got the calls but be intelligent enough to acknowledge a home cooked ref-ing job when we see one.

my point is that if you can't even see it... you're a homer. and homers are r****ded. talking sports with a homer, on this board or in real life, is an absolute drag.