1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Ariza is trying to do too much?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaitanuva, Dec 23, 2009.

?

Do you think Ariza is trying to do too much?

1. No. He's doing exactly what he should be doing.

9 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. No, I believe he has potential to be great, he just needs time.

22 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Yes, but our offense is just so lacking that we are being forced to make him become what he is not.

100 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Yes. Ariza should snap out of this delusion right now.

152 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that describes rafer alston to a T.

2. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

In fact, if Ariza was about 5 inches shorter, he could be Rafer Alston's basketball twin.

3. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I remember when McGrady would have those shooting percentages in a game the last two seasons and some of the people looking for any opportunity to get on Ariza would say but McGrady doing other things to help the team. Seems like there's an agenda against Ariza by some people, like they are resentful he is getting playing time instead of McGrady.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

thing is, he has these games almost every game.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think people are resentful that Ariza is stinking up the joint shooting wise. No more no less. If he was shooting better, we would be singing praises for him.

Ariza and Tmac are not apples to apples, Tmac is getting paid superstar money because he's played at a superstar level for a period of time. Ariza is a less talented wing player trying to do too much.

#85 v3.0, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Yeah, except it's the opposite. All these people praising Ariza for his pretty numbers were the same people bashing McGrady for his inefficiency. The funny thing is, McGrady's numbers were a lot prettier than Ariza's, and Ariza's a lot more inefficient than McGrady was.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The difference between Ariza and Alston is their position and height.

Ariza will give you rebounds, but Alston will give you assists. Once in a while, they'll do both. Once in a while, they'll have a good shooting night. Though never, will they stop shooting.

8. Center

Center Contributing Member

9. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

10. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

Third Quarter Correction

We had a back to back 13 points third quarter in recent two games.

I found other teams started to let Ariza take open jump shoot recently and Ariza still struggled and it was 1 for 8 tonight for 3s. The more Ariza took outside jumpers, the less efficient rockets offensive goes.

If I was Adelman, I may limit Ariza taking jump shoot since it will hurt the team.

11. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

There's no reason to feel resentful ... Ariza having the green light is not permanent. It may be just no more no less for you and the majority of the board but it's not that way for everyone, especially those who acted differently when the shoe was on the other foot of their favorite player the last two seasons when in long shooting slumps and people called out McGrady's inefficiency and they responded with assists and boards to show that he was still having a positive effect in the game.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Holy **** Carl Landry is top 5 and is neck and neck with Dwight, he's at 16.6ppg and Dwight is at 17.4 :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I honestly don't remember that stuff, but getting into an Ariza/Tmac criticism comparison is an exercise in futility for me. I see them as 2 different scenarios and comment accordingly.

14. rockets_fanatic

I can only speak for myself personal. I have my own views on each players, but I express negative views on Ariza here and positive about Tracy to counter the bias of everyone else. To the majority Ariza is god and Tracy is the devil.

Tracy quits on the team in a game and is hated, which is acceptable, but when Ariza throws a dirty elbow, he is defended to no end. Injury isn't an excuse for the first example, but frustration is a good enough excuse for the latter.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hey I agree with that....Ariza pulled a punk move, he should have been punished longer for it, IMO.

And please, an injury did not cause anyone to quit, you know better than that you are being disingenious by saying that.

Even Tmac admitted he quit in Orlando, and he quit on JVG in the Golden State game after the Rockets clinched the playoffs.

Look, trust me, I know you don't appreciate the Tmac must go crowd, but you have not been here long enough to understand...this is not a knee jerk reaction it has been building up over time.

DD

16. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

150 posts in a 24 hour period...

17. rockets_fanatic

I would have quit in the Orlando situation with some of the moves they were making with their roster.

He quit on the Golden State game when we clinched a play off birth. I honestly don't remember that far back, but is it quitting when coaches don't play their best players in the last few games of the season?

What I'm saying is if frustration was a good enough excuse for Ariza, then injury is a good enough excuse for McGrady.

Now, I've been posting here for about 3 seasons now. If you remember last season I said Tracy should have not been playing. He should have been rehabbing and hopefully be ready for the play-offs.

However playing games was good enough for Morey, the coaches and the doctors.

If we trade Tracy my reaction would depend on what we get. Again, as I said during the off season. Only trade him for quality. If nothing comes that is worth it, let his contract finish up. See how much money he wants and compare it with the other Free Agents.

I still see his value to this team, every time I think back to the plays Brooks has botched in the dieing minutes.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He was paid to play, not to quit. What would you do if the players you coached decided to quit?

And I seriously doubt you would quit, that is not what winners or good coaches do...they work harder under pressure.....

Quitters never win, and winners never quit.

As you said, you don't remember - and if you were honest were probably not following the team then...it is cool...everyone gets the bug at some point. Mine was 1972.

I have no issue whatsoever with Tmac getting his knee fixed while under contract that was a smart business move, my issue is entirely on him undermining the team while doing it, as he has consistently done in these last few years.

I concur or buy him out....but that would be tough because insurance is paying his contract anyway.

Tmac has botched more than Brooks over the years, you don't finish every game the right way.....and neither did Tracy.

DD

19. rockets_fanatic

The difference is this. I don't quit on my players. In Orlando the people running the club through their actions quit on Tracy and the team. Sacking a good coach and trading away talent. If I was Tracy, my view would have been that the GM was trying to finish as low as possible for a high draft pick.

Good thing you brought up though. What I see a lot is young players with natural talent being ALLOWED to get away without working hard at practice or on the defense end by moronic coaches.

I had a young kid like that, in one of my youth teams. He could hit the three, had crazy handles. However, I made sure to focus my praise on him when he hit the open team mate or pushed hard defensively. There lies the problem with most young players with natural talent. They are ALLOWED to get away with not working hard. Work ethic is taught. That is what I try to do.

Also, I can't remember one game. There are 82 in a 5 month period. Sue me for not remember a few games here and there, lol.

If you are going to compare Tracy's track record of closing games to Brooks, you are fighting a losing battle. Brooks may improve in that area, but if we want to win now, that is where Tracy is good for us.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You just described Tmac's entire career to this point.....

DD