1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Ariza is trying to do too much?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaitanuva, Dec 23, 2009.

?

Do you think Ariza is trying to do too much?

1. No. He's doing exactly what he should be doing.

9 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. No, I believe he has potential to be great, he just needs time.

22 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Yes, but our offense is just so lacking that we are being forced to make him become what he is not.

100 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Yes. Ariza should snap out of this delusion right now.

152 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

If that's exactly what Ariza is thinking someone has got to ask him who the hell is putting crazy pills in his drinks. He's being featured more on the offensive end alright, and he's failing big time at it. He just doesn't have the talent to be anything more than what he is.

Everybody in here knows Ariza will never be anything similar to a Kobe Braynt. He got paid the MLE not superstar money. That fool better rein himself in or people are going to start calling for his trade.

2. RyanB

RyanB Member

if Ariza wants to take more shots and penetrate he's gotta Practice, Practice and Practice like Drexler says!

3. BBstanley

BBstanley Member

his shot and field goal % are just too inconsistent,and he spams alot,tonight game against the orlando magic,he is just 1-10,and average less than 40% field goal,i guess he just wants to take the role of a leader,and wants to scores more,but it turns out that he is still not ready for that leader role yet

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Ya think?

Ariza on the court last night was the essential antithesis of everything we love about this Rockets team. Missed badly on every shot he took except for one lucky one which was also a bad shot. Destroyed about 20 offensive sets, maybe more, simply by touching the ball and disrupting its rhythm. It was painful to watch. I never thought we'd get to the point where we're complaining about playing 4-on-5 basketball and the problem isn't Chuck Hayes. But here we are.

And McGrady and Taylor continue to waste away on the pine. Even Budinger when healthy doesn't get the minutes he deserves. I'm willing to buy the being patient with McGrady's return thing. But there are still options. Trevor Ariza is the WORST shooting guard on this team and it isn't even close.

5. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

I know another guy who loves that shot too. He used to make it a lot more than Trevor, but it still made him a relatively inefficient individual on offense the past few years.

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Who else can be our go-to guy though?

Isn't he the highest paid player on our team?

The mentality of Ariza can be compared to the highest paid person in a company; that is, Ariza is trying to do too much, because he believes that's why the Rockets spent money on him.

If he wasn't the second leading scorer on this team, I think he would tone it down. But he thinks he needs to "dominate" every game, because he needs to keep his 17 pts/game avg.

7. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

I agree with all you guys. Ariza is terribly inconsistent. It seems that these 1 for 10 games are more frequent than the 20-30 point games. He just forces way too much. You can tell he is trying to be more than he really is. This guy is a decent spot up shooter, runs the floor well and plays good D. He should never be the focal point of the offense.

Ariza is really the one player I wouldn't be sad about if he was traded. I realize we may need to give up one of our other guys to get a superstar, but everytime I hear Brooks, Landry, Lowry, Scola, or Battier mentioned in a trade I feel like I want to cry. Ariza is really the guy and role that needs to be replaced/upgraded.

8. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Its pretty bad when Chuck can dribble better than Ariza....I dont understand why Ariza cont to get 40+ min and shoot like 2 for 18 yet mcgrady sits on the bench. Even if tmac is not 100% he is WAY superior to Ariza in every department. Really frustrating to watch ariza dribble the ball into three guys and turn around, dragging his pivot foot, throwing the ball 35 feet from the basket. Happens like 10 times a game. :mad:

9. rockets_fanatic

He needs to start playing within himself. He isn't as good as everyone though he could be.

It is as simple as that, he isn't as good as we thought he could be. He needs to blend in with the rest of the team and play his ROLE!

That role is not to be the star, ti is to hit open shoots, set some good picks and cut hard off picks set for him. Also, get to the line and hit a damn free throw.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed. He would be just fine if he did what he can do and quit trying to do what he can't do.

Thanks for putting me on the top of your list!!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I blame Adelman for not properly defining his role.

Brooks should be the lead dog, not Trevor.....

I know he is trying to let him figure it out...but it is quite obvious that Trevor is not as good as he thinks he is...

DD

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Ariza replacing T-mac experiment is a complete failure.

The Rockets know it.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's not replacing Tmac, never was. He's an MLE player. He's replacing Artest, and that's an improvement, IMO.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Artest was the best 3 point shooter on the team last season at 40%, while Ariza is one of the worst outside shooters on the team at 32%. His field goal percentage is also well under 40% while he takes a hell of a lot more shots than Ron did. ROn also played defense every night. Ariza gambles and stands around a lot, getting burned on a regular basis. I don't see a single thing Ariza does better than Ron besides being younger.

15. Mr. Clutch

Ariza's field goal percentage is 38%, so saying "well under 40%" is misleading.

-Artest also shot 40% OVERALL, which means he shot 40% from 2 pt range.

-Ariza is shooting 42% for 2 point rage, slightly better.

Artest got burned a lot last year too. I think Ariza is better on D.

16. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Taking over 16 shots????

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Code:
    Rk  	Player  	Season  	Age  	G  	MP  	PER  	TS%  	eFG%  	ORB%  	DRB%  	TRB%  	AST%  	STL%  	BLK%  	TOV%  	USG%  	ORtg  	DRtg  	OWS  	DWS  	WS
    1 	Trevor Ariza 	2009-10 	24 	28 	1088 	12.8 	.470 	.444 	3.0 	13.9 	8.3 	14.3 	2.6 	1.1 	12.1 	22.9 	96 	105 	-0.3 	1.4 	1.1
    2 	Ron Artest 	2008-09 	29 	69 	2452 	15.6 	.512 	.475 	3.2 	13.4 	8.5 	16.2 	2.3 	0.7 	10.8 	24.5 	104 	103 	1.6 	4.0 	5.5
    Ariza's TS% is worse than artests. His efg% is worse than artests.

18. Mr. Clutch

What are Artest's stats this year?

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

In terms of basketball FG percentage I would say 38% is well below 40%.

And there is no way in hell Ariza is better on D than Artest.

Of course, this is all my opinion but I can't see how anyone can watch Ariza play and consider him a decent player at this point. I think, overall, he is an above average defender and that's about the best thing I can say about him.

20. HPD

HPD Member

"They are who we thought they were". Or in this case "he is who we thought he was"