1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Ariza is trying to do too much?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaitanuva, Dec 23, 2009.

?

Do you think Ariza is trying to do too much?

1. No. He's doing exactly what he should be doing.

9 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. No, I believe he has potential to be great, he just needs time.

22 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Yes, but our offense is just so lacking that we are being forced to make him become what he is not.

100 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Yes. Ariza should snap out of this delusion right now.

152 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Everytime Ariza puts the ball on the floor, I cringe with fear. More often than not, it usually ends up in a turnover or a poorly selected shot.

Ariza can not dribble. He should not be the one running plays or creating the offense. When was the last time he made a shot when he was provided the opportunity to shoot the last shot of the quarter?

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and for Ariza, the former definitely do not include dribbling and playmaking. Rather, they lie in the passing lane, the fast break, spot up three point shooting and perimeter defense. Thus, he should not try so hard in areas where he does so poorly in, but instead expend his energy into the ones he excels in.

We all know for a fact Ariza will never be a superstar like Kobe, T-Mac, Carmelo, Wade, Roy, etc. He is and will always be a role player, no more, no less. There's a reason he's paid the MLE, and not the max. The illusion Adelman has been playing around with Ariza should stop now. Stop giving him the freedom to do whatever he pleases - put him in his rightful place, right now. The faster Ariza learns his role, the better for him and this team in the long run.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He's a perfect example of a role player trying to do too much

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Ariza is a role player

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes. It's killing me. The trade deadline can't come soon enough.

Please, God, let us get Chris Paul or Chris Bosh in trade. Otherwise we're going to have watch Ariza think he's a go-to-guy all season. I don't think we can take it.

5. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

I know i've probably complained about this far too much.
    But i like how im flamed for bashing ariza, predicting this very thing would happen.
    I love the bandwagon. :rolleyes:

6. Mr. Space City

there is no way a role payer like ariza should be taking that many shots a game (even tho 10 shots tonight was acceptable)

ariza is a role player being forced t be something he is not. he needs to stop handling the ball because he can not dribble.

rockets needs to sick to his strengths and not try to mold him into something he is not.

7. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Ariza is officially in my head now, if he continues to play like this, I want him go, whatever, I don't care where he goes, just go :mad:

BTW, I think RA should be famous for his flexibility and go with the player who has the hot hand, didn't happen tonight, very disappointed.

8. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

He is and always will be a role player that should be on the court alongside superstars like Kobe, Wade, T-Mac(old form),etc.

Not a sign of his improvement in dribbling and playmaking, let alone taking those out of rhythm bad shots and turnovers stemming from his bad decision on the court.

Damn, I've never seen anything like this that put too much pressure on a role player and expect him of achieving more than he could chew, that's just pathetic.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He's taking bad shots. I can understand if he is missing good shots or even turning the ball over while trying to get a better shot but when his new favorite shot is a pull-up jumper with one foot inside the arc and one foot out you have to wonder what he is thinking.

It's hard to forgive a guy when he is a poor shooter and a low IQ offensive player and fails to realize either.

10. Hball

Hball Member

Adelman has given ariza the green light, this is his team and now he's just trying to show what he learned from kobe.

11. tofu--

tofu-- Member

This. I don't mind him taking shots but they need to be way higher percentage. He just doesn't shoot well enough to warrant those ridiculous pull-up jumpers he's been doing.

With his athleticism I'm shocked he doesn't do a lot more off the ball things, considering his poor handles. He can still get good position on most players IMO.

12. redao

redao Member

when Battier and Hayes are doing so little, he has to do that much.

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

all rocket fans KNOW ariza is trying to do too much. it's a FACT. and he needs to be reined in (someone pull up my great thread!! :grin: )

14. tmac_lover

tmac_lover New Member

Can‘t agree more、、Ariza should do what he can do 、、
    dribble is not really his strength、

15. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

With or without the production from Hayes or Battier, he should not force the action down the stretch, playing with the system won't be that hard for him to learn I guess, unless he refused to accept the concept of what he truly is and what his role would be.

Maybe that McGrady's return has caused him some problems in dealing with his role adjustment once McGrady gets to his anticipated status in a short term. :rolleyes: Who knows what he's been thinking of late.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's doing what he's being asked to do. He wanted an expanded role, and the Rockets are giving him that license.

It's not helping at this stage, but I guess the Rockets see this is the way for him to develop. I'm really not even that concerned with his jump shot. I just want him to be stronger, more decisive, and more controlled on his drives to the basket. At least 3-4 times a game he'll drive into the paint with the tunnel-vision, pick up his dribble with no place to go, and its like a wasted possession.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Morey mentioned N times, Ariza is doing what Adelman and Morey want him to do. And, I believe what Morey said. Otherwise, Adelman wouldn't allow Ariza to take so many shots.

I guess Adelman's motion offense require the guards to take many outside shots to make the offense 'flow'.

18. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Ariza didn't come to Houston to be a role player again, he came here so he could be featured more in the offense. You really think he would sign to Houston, just to play the exact same role he played in last season with a different team where he won a championship? Would be stupid of him, obviously money talks too but he came here for more touches on the offensive end. When you win a championship at a young age, you want to have a new start and a new beginning. Go ask Kobe Bryant that. He won a championship in 2000, he wanted to be featured more on the offensive end, the only difference is that he booted Shaq out, Ariza left on his own.

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Well Brian Cook doesn't attend practice just be the Rockets head cheerleader and senior analyst of bench warmth but that's what he's best at. Being a role player is what Ariza is best at and with no signs of him approving in basketball IQ it's hard to argue him being a go to guy.

20. allforone

allforone Member

hope the duration of adjustment wont last too long , since he's been doing what he was told to.