1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you still test for Covid, when you have a cold

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Mar 31, 2023.

?

When you have Cold like symptoms do you still test for Covid?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. NO

45 vote(s)
    67.2%
  1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

At this point the cold and/or flu is similar to covid for me. If I'm sick I usually try my best to avoid getting other people sick.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m the same for most part. I treat it like any other sickness, treat symptoms rest and stay home.

Jontro, clos4life and Ubiquitin like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I worked with some allergy researchers back in the day and the head doctor told me that DFW was ground zero for free pollen due to geography and where it’s situated from the Rockies. (This guy: https://www.uthscsa.edu/patient-care/physicians/providers/1134211998/Edward-Brooks )

So even if you’re a few hundred miles away it’s a cluster****.

Jontro and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was feeling slightly feverish earlier this week and took a rapid test it came up negative. At this point I think If I do actually have COVID I should be able to handle it but it’s more for other things people. Especially others in Judo.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Pretty much this.

If you're feeling unwell, just stay home and if necessary mask up.

What are the hospitalization rates for covid now anyway? Isn't it basically just thought of like a normal seasonal virus?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I do test b/c as a prof I can't just stay home when I don't feel well. I'm not worried so much for myself at this point, at all, but I don't want to spread COVID around to some of my older friends and not to my students and coworkers either.

This may sound crazy, but sometimes I randomly test before I'm going out to a crowded restaurant or a music show or something. If I can keep myself from super-spreading with a home test, why not? (I know: the home antigen tests miss about 50% of asymptomatic cases.)

Luckily, I haven't had many symptoms that were worth worrying about. The Mrs. had a mild case last month but I seem to have never gotten it. My enormous vintage cell phone probably zaps all the viruses in my vicinity.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Well now I'm curious. Please explain.

9. B-Bob

Eh, if someone has out-smarted PCR tests, maybe they can take that to the D&D coronavirus thread. This one is just asking if people still test (and it could be either kind, I guess, or maybe someone has a new kind of personal test using a divining rod, a used tissue, and extra virgin olive oil. :D )

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't test anymore.

But if an older relative or I were to have very strong symptoms, I would likely test, in order to get Paxlovid.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I thought we eradicated COVID? Fuuuuuuck.

FrontRunner likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, took an advil cold and sinus - hit the Faire, and had a blast, drank a few beers had some meat on a stick, and saw some interesting costumes including one Mandalorian dude with a voice box "This is the way".....

As the sniffles started Tuesday, I woke up today and everything is almost gone - so I am pretty sure it was a minor virus or allergies.......

DD

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

no

only time I’ve ran to get a Covid test is when it was needed for flights

only thing that would make me run to get a Covid test now is if I had serious symptoms that were consistent with a Covid infection, not some run of the mill cold

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

People's Communist Republic (PCR) test.

Dredd and B-Bob like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, but you use a scantron.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My wife takes immunosuppressant medicine, so if COVID is in the house she requires Paxlovid, so we have to keep testing. Additionally, my mother had a COVID caused optic nerve stroke so we have to stay away from her when we have it.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I had to take a bunch of tests on the 24th prior to surgery on the 28th I get a call at 7pm on the 27th telling me I am covid positive and they were moving the surgery. I took a couple of at home tests which were all negative. I didnt so much as run a fever or have any symptoms. So look at as a false p[positive. I asked them about the tech Tiffany that performed the tests if she was OK and they just brushed my concern off.

I test the kids if they have fevers at times, have had several coworkers tell me its just allergies and they tested negative at home then suddenly call in with Covid and be out for a week. Swearing they didnt know they had it but came into the office cause they had work that had to be done.
    Its always Allergies, until it isnt. Observationally it seems that the boosted seem to get Covid more than once.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

nobody’s getting tested anymore where im at, but last i had the flu i was bed ridden for a week. any excuse for missing school is a good one

19. B-Bob

Damn, I have the 'Rona after international travel. No fun, ****ing stupid virus.

Everyone in northern Europe was coughing but I had hoped that's just b/c they all smoke.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

One of my friends just caught it recently too. He said it got him pretty good and he dealt with brain fog for a week or so.

B-Bob likes this.